Life in New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life in New York

Wondering if some one with experience of NYC could give me some tips here. I have an opportunity to move there to work in our small branch office in Manhattan. I live in Stockholm, Sweden and have never been to NY or to US, so am trying to find out the differences in quality of life, social life of desis, monthly costs for food and rent etc. Will be gold if some one who has lived both in Nordics and in NYC could have some comparative feedback. I am married and work with IT consultancy. Thanks!
    There can be only one king..

Re: Life in New York

You will have to roommate or expect to pay $2200+ for a studio and commute in Brooklyn OR $1800 for a place in Jersey City, most desis in Queens/Jersey City. Rent will be the most expensive part. Food, try to live by a Korean supermarket and it is pretty cheap and a hell lot cheaper than food in Sweden. Don't expect to keep a car here, everyone uses public transport here, more than any other cityi n the US> Overall if you're coming from Stockholm expect less money in your pocket.

A nice place if you don't have kids, and especially for a city guy. NYC has a lot going on in it, it is THE metropolis of the world with only Tokyo coming close. Also is a transportation and financial hub of the world, within 4 hours of NYC you have the Jersey Shore (beautiful at this time-not so much during the Winter), Washington DC, Philly, Boston.

EDIT: I wouldn't live in JC though. Other than the colony wher eyou have a family and desis, it is not a friendly areas as far as SER-o-Tafreeh. And there isn't much to do here late at night without getting on the turnpike. I think it's more of a 'settled' place when you have kids.
    Last edited by zetsui; Aug 17, 2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

I moved from Stockholm to NY too! Well not NYC but Jersey City, 10 mins from the city.
      It's crazy expensive! Even Jersey City is crazy expensive. Our 1 bedroom condo cost us $2100 a month.
      Life is completely different. Stockholm is much calmer, smaller, more relaxing. Everyone is always in a hurry, stressed out here. But I was born and raised in Stockholm so maybe that's why it hit me hard when I first moved here. A year after living in the city we moved to the suburbs (my husband works in Manhattan and commutes every day). So that could be an option ... especially if you are married and have kids.
      What you see is what you get. And what you get comes with a tiara ^_^

Comment

Great info! It will be also be great to have some info about median salary of mid-level IT-consultant in NYC. I understand that salary levels could vary a lot in USA, but a rough figure could still be a useful reference for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bad shah View Post
          Great info! It will be also be great to have some info about median salary of mid-level IT-consultant in NYC. I understand that salary levels could vary a lot in USA, but a rough figure could still be a useful reference for me.
          go to indeed.com or glassdoor enter the zipcode/city and look at specific job headers from there. I was born and raised in Jersey City by the way. There are VERY FEW affordable nice places to live in JC right now. Oddly enough the last few are the Colony.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyDarling View Post
            I moved from Stockholm to NY too! Well not NYC but Jersey City, 10 mins from the city.
            It's crazy expensive! Even Jersey City is crazy expensive. Our 1 bedroom condo cost us $2100 a month.
            Life is completely different. Stockholm is much calmer, smaller, more relaxing. Everyone is always in a hurry, stressed out here. But I was born and raised in Stockholm so maybe that's why it hit me hard when I first moved here. A year after living in the city we moved to the suburbs (my husband works in Manhattan and commutes every day). So that could be an option ... especially if you are married and have kids.
            Ha! Vilken tur jag har!
            The rents are really sky-high. I dont have children, but still am used to a very relaxed suburban life style (am from Täby). Wendy, could you please let me know how long it takes for your husband to commute to Manhattan?

Comment

You can also explore living in Connecticut area, probably Danbury or Norwalk , where you can rent a studio apartment or private room in someone's home for $800-$900 with utilities included. From there, train ride directly to Grand Central is one hour.
              People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

Stockholm > NY.

That is all.
                “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”

Comment

Originally posted by bad shah View Post
                  Ha! Vilken tur jag har!
                  The rents are really sky-high. I dont have children, but still am used to a very relaxed suburban life style (am from Täby). Wendy, could you please let me know how long it takes for your husband to commute to Manhattan?
                  I lived in Kista!

it takes him about an hour door to door, but there are plenty of suburbs closer to the city.
                  My husband was a consultant until 2 years ago, in IT. You can pm me if you have any questions abt that.
                  What you see is what you get. And what you get comes with a tiara ^_^

Comment

Living is pretty expensive in NYC. Rents are crazy high. I used to live in Queens and was renting second floor of two family house. We were paying 2000 for it. I lived in a nice area but obviously it was about 45 min commute to Manhattan. You can live closer to Manhattan in Astoria (Long Island City) or even Brooklyn and save on rent. Apartments are small but you don't have kids so you may be fine with that. You don't need a car in NYC, the bus/subway system is pretty good and what most people use. Lifestyle, well its NYC, you won't be bored for a second, I promise you that.. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiral View Post
                      Living is pretty expensive in NYC. Rents are crazy high. I used to live in Queens and was renting second floor of two family house. We were paying 2000 for it. I lived in a nice area but obviously it was about 45 min commute to Manhattan. You can live closer to Manhattan in Astoria (Long Island City) or even Brooklyn and save on rent. Apartments are small but you don't have kids so you may be fine with that. You don't need a car in NYC, the bus/subway system is pretty good and what most people use. Lifestyle, well its NYC, you won't be bored for a second, I promise you that.. lol.
                      Personally would go with this option, even if the commute is 1 hour. It's on a train, you can relax, listen to music/unwind. That and don't take a ground/basement option ever. Especially in Manhattan pests are a huge issue. 1/3 of the apartments in Manhattan have bedbugs!

Comment

New York is a beautiful city to live but a lot of challenges are definitely worth the rewards a sense of accomplishment comes from even residing here.

Comment

New York is a beautiful city to live but a lot of challenges are definitely worth the rewards a sense of accomplishment comes from even residing here.
                          New York to Indianapolis bus

Comment

There are lots of desis in New York. You can very social with other desis if you like or cut back, if you like.

Comment

Working...
                            X