City Of The Month: Bahawalpur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City Of The Month: Bahawalpur

Bahawalpur, located in Punjab, is the eleventh largest city in Pakistan. The city was once the capital of the former princely state and later the province of Bahawalpur. The city was home to various Nawabs (rulers) and counted as part of the Rajputana states (now Rajasthan, India). Bahawalpur is known for its famous palaces such as the Noor Mahal, Sadiq Ghar Palace, and Darbar Mahal, as well as the ancient fort of Derawar in the Cholistan Desert bordering India. The city is located near the historical and ancient cities of Uch andHarappa, which were once a stronghold of the Delhi Sultanate and Indus Valley Civilisation. The city is home to one of the few natural safari parks in Pakistan, Lal Suhanra National Park.
    In 2007, the city's population was recorded to have risen to 798,509 from 403,408 in 1998. Bahawalpur is located south of the Sutlej River and lies in the Cholistan region near the Thar Desert. It is situated 90 km from Multan, 420 km from Lahore, and 270 km from Faisalabad.

Re: City Of The Month: Bahawalpur

The main crops for which Bahawalpur is recognised are cotton, sugarcane, wheat, sunflower seeds, rape/mustard seed andrice. Bahawalpur mangoes, citrus, dates and guavas are some of the fruits exported out of the country. Vegetables includeonions, tomatoes, cauliflower, potatoes and carrots. Being an expanding industrial city, the government has revolutionised and libertised various markets, allowing the caustic soda, cotton ginning and pressing, flour mills, fruit juices, general engineering, iron and steel re-rolling mills, looms, oil mills, poultry feed, sugar, textile spinning, textile weaving, vegetable ghee and cooking oil industries to flourish.

By plane

Bahawalpur is one of the safest cities in Punjab. It has its own airport which connect all major cities in Pakistan. PIA operate in Bahawalpur to Lahore, Karachi, and Islamabad. A new airport is also built near the old airport and it is expected that international flights will operate at the new airport.
    [edit]By train

Bahawalpur is connected with all major cities of Pakistan by train.
    By car

From Lahore you can travel on KLP road.
    By bus

Bus services are available throughout Pakistan. Bahawalpur has a very beautiful Daewoo Bus Terminal. You can catch a daewoo bus, from any big city like Karachi, Rawalpindi or Lahore and come to Bahawalpur directly.
    By boat]

Get around

Renting a car with driver (for about 30$ per day) is the best way to move around though you can use local transport as well. But to see things around Bahawalpur you will need a car.

Comment

Do

Visit the villages where they work on tie and dye work.

talk

The main language is Seraiki/Punjabi and its best that you use the Seraiki phrasebook to help you get around.

Buy

You can buy local tie and dye clothes (Chunri) from the local markets. Silver jewelry is also very pretty. Handmade close sandals (with embroidery) calledkhussas are also available at affordable prices (about $5 for a pair).To shop for clothes you can visit Outfitters, crossroads, riverstone, boom fashion

Eat

Sohn Halwa: Sohn Halwa is the most special sweet dish of Bahawalpur. You can buy most delicious and fantastic Sohn Halwa mixed with dry fruits and nuts from certain old halwa maker shops.
      • Desert Grill, (Near Fountain Choak). This restaurant has really good local food, and Bar B.Q. Two really good and their specialities are Dum Kabab, and Chiken/Mutton Dhaba.

• 4 Seasons, (near Railway station). Sister of Multan's Zanzibar restaurant. Plush modern decor and an ambitious menu covering steaks, pizza, pasta, Chinese and other cuisines, this is the most Western place in town. Food is acceptable and the service good - although not much English is spoken.mains around Rs 400.

• Lataska. First international restaurant in city.Its best place for fast food.

• Pizza hut.

• Almaida fried chicken.

• Green chilli.

• Desert grill.

Sleep

Hotel oneThe 2 star hotel near airport is probably the best hotel in bahawalpur.
      New Bahawalpur Hotel, Inside Ahmad Puri Gate, Shahzadi Chowk.
      Single room 350rs
      062-2876191

• PTDC hotel. A good place to stay in the city. Now showing its age the PTDC is in a quiet cul-de-sac near the museum and library. Rs 3,300 single, Rs 4,200 double.

• Luxury Hotel, Fawara Chowk, ☎ 062-2888401,. A good hotel on a busy junction - easily reachable from airport, railway station and any bus service - rooms have a/c and en suite - Attached is quite big restaurant with good food. Worth for Rs 1,800.

• Pak Continential. Aging hotel near the centre of town. Rooms OK but a/c doesn't work when the hotel is running on its generator. Ask for a room away from the street. Rs 2,000- 2,500.

Comment

Get out

• Cholistan Desert of Bahawalpur - You can make an intersting excursions from Bahawalpur, a half day trip (no four-wheel drive vehicle required) to Derawar Fort (Qila Derawar), through the semi-desert of Cholistan.

Best to take a guide for Derawar fort - although with a GPS and a pre-planned route you could self drive. You also need permission from the present Amir of Bahawalpur to get inside the fort. The drive takes two hours on a sealed road through fasinating barren landscape. The Cholistan Desert covers 26,000 sq km (10,000 sq miles) and extends into the Thar desert to India. The whole area was once well watered by the river Ghaggar, now called the Hakara in Pakistan, and known in vedic times as the Sarasvati. All along the 500 km (300 miles) of the dried-up river are over 400 archaeological sites. Most of these date from the Indus civilisation, 45,00 years ago, and are clustered round Derawar Fort, the only perennial water hole in the desert.
        There is very little to make out today. The desert has an average rainfall of 12 cm (5 inches) a year, and there is very little civilisation. The underground water is brackish. The few people of the desert dig artificial wells in the troughs between the sand hills and use camels to draw the water up.

• Fort Darawar- Derawar Fort (Qila Derawar) is in good condition, its walls are intact and still guarded by soldiers in fezes. Its age is unknown. The tombs of the Amirs of Bahawalpur are also at Derawar, decorated with attractive blue glazed tiles contrasting with the ochre landscape. Some of the cannons which were used times ago by the Army of Bahawalpur are also kept in this fort.

Comment

Wow, khatti, such detailed account. Brilliant work. Love Bahawalpur. So peaceful and serene.
          Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested.(al-Ankabut)

Comment

I'm so going to visit this city. Bass!
            I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

The drama serial noorbano aired on hum tv was shot at Noor mehal. At night, its just spectacular. I think, nowadays its under army's care. My brother's walima was held at one of the lawns of Noor mahal. The lights, the majesty of the structure in the background itself, and the driveway, it was all so amazing.
              The people are humble and content. Saraiki itself is such an easy and light on your tongue language.
              Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested.(al-Ankabut)

Comment

Originally posted by shopping fan View Post
                The drama serial noorbano aired on hum tv was shot at Noor mehal. At night, its just spectacular. I think, nowadays its under army's care. My brother's walima was held at one of the lawns of Noor mahal. The lights, the majesty of the structure in the background itself, and the driveway, it was all so amazing.
                The people are humble and content. Saraiki itself is such an easy and light on your tongue language.
                Do you live in Bahawalpur?
                I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

I have been to Bahawalpur,I haven't visited Lal Suhanra and Noor Mahal yet, will go next time when I go to Pakistan.

I love shopping from there especially Chunri dress, bought few dresses when I went there.

These are the famous chunri dresses

1358690364_474668795_2-chunri-gota-pure-shafoon-Bahawalpur.jpg

1358690364_474668795_4-chunri-gota-pure-shafoon-For-Sale.jpg

1358332712_473551195_6-chunri-linan-Pakistan.jpg

1358578687_474398500_2-chunri-shafoon-local-quality-Bahawalpur.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by hareem01 View Post
                    I'm so going to visit this city. Bass!
                    Hareem, don't forget to buy chunri dress for yourself. Something that I love from Bhawalpur

Comment

Originally posted by shopping fan View Post
                      My friend's brother's wedding took place there too. I have heard people from Bhawalpur are way advanced than Multanis, is it true? lol Bhawalpuris don't like Multanis anymore,competition. One of my friend has come here to study PHD from bhawalpur , she talks about it all the time,mayko taan itna pata kyni , 2 dafa ee gai hum.

bhawalpur is also famous for food, chat pata khana.

Comment

my mamu remained posted there, I went there I was almost 12 or 13 year but we stayed wthin army cantt area but I remember my mumani bringing embroidered suits n bedsheets from there, this stuff are very famous. and there is some mehal noor mehal or wht tht is very famous.
                        Meri hasti may ANAA hay meri masti may shaaoor ...

Comment

Originally posted by hareem01:9700386
                          Do you live in Bahawalpur?
                          No, but i hail from Bahawalpur

Comment

Originally posted by devilish angel:9700468
                            my mamu remained posted there, I went there I was almost 12 or 13 year but we stayed wthin army cantt area but I remember my mumani bringing embroidered suits n bedsheets from there, this stuff are very famous. and there is some mehal noor mehal or wht tht is very famous.
                            Lol, devi, read my post above about Noor mehal

Comment

@lilly,
                              nikki mai, maikon compitition da taan patta kayni.
                              Yes, chunri is a must buy from bwp.

Comment

Working...
                              X