Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people in USA ever travel in trains ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do people in USA ever travel in trains ?

For going from one city to another ?

I have never heard /seen anyone using railway for going to other city. They either travel through plane or by car.

Is US railway that bad ?
    Bazinggaaaa ....

Re: Do people in USA ever travel in trains ?

Yes.
    Mstly older ppl. Its very expensive to travel by train.
    And off course very beautiful too.

Comment

It is not a very popular method of travel because this isn't the fastest way to travel (except for 150 mph Acela trains between Boston, New York and Washington DC) and you usually need to buy your ticket in advance. Also it is not the cheapest method of travel either. Timekeeping can't always be relied on, since most trains operate over tracks owned by freight railroads and don't always have priority. Some trains only run once a day and they may not stop where you want to go.
      One Pakistani friend came to my city via train from NY, somehow he got a cheap ticket , when he wanted to go back I dropped him off at the train station. And since train was running very late I said good by and went on to take care of my business of the day. After a couple of hours he called me to pick him us because his train got canceled and was supposed to come the next day same time.
      Fools never disagree.

Comment

well many ppl do,, its some time cheap and definitely much safer than buses.

Comment

Well it;s not convinient - because after you get into a city - you have to rent a car to get to your destiantion - it's not like europe where everything from residential to commercial places are connected via trains or subway (unless you are in the bigger cities NYC, Boston, Chicago)

So it's much more convinient and cheaper to drive a car.

I do like the Acela however - it is very convinient to travel up and down the east coast and covers all big cities from DC to Boston
          A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Comment

I only traveled couple of times between Princeton Junction and NYC (I have used bus couple of times too, but mostly I traveled via car). My father travels a lot if he travels to Boston or to DC.

Comment

My mother has taken the amtrack several times from chicago to my town and she really enjoys it. The seats are spacious and very comfortable. They do have a problem of running late though, sometimes by 3-4 hours but atleast you can find out before going to the train station so you arent sitting their waiting the whole time.
              I love children and old people. Its everyone in between I can't stand - Don Imus

Comment

I lived on the Amtrak system for a whole month - meaning I brought a monthly saver ticket and I started in Vancouver, Canada and made my way all around major cities in the US. You need a little bit more then a month to do it, I went around around west coast, mid-west, east coast right up to NY, from where i flew to London. It was an awesome experience. I stopped off at every single major city, whenever i wanted to, explored for about two days, then jumped back onto the train. I tried to spend as many overnights on the train to save on hostel bills. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Met loads of people, railroad is beautiful, especially travel from Las Vegas through the railroads caved out by chinese labourers many years ago. And oh, the rocky mountains.... the rocky mountains! Beautiful!! As far as I know the rail road is quite popular. I videoed my whole journey!
                *Life is not living when you don't live it*

Comment

I've travelled on Amtrak a lot when I visited the US East Coast. However I did notice that most of travellers seemed to be tourists rather than US residents.
                  The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

I think it probably depends on what train you travel. Of course I came across tourists on my travels, but also a large amount of US Citizens - groups of grandparents going on a trip together to see the grand canyon in Arizona, small family going back home after visiting Chicago, men going to see their mothers in another State, hippies travelling from Seattle to Santa Barbara and busking all the way down..... I actually met more US people then tourists. Again, depends on what trains you travel. I think tourists tend to fly, because they tend to have less time away.

Originally posted by Umer View Post
                    I've travelled on Amtrak a lot when I visited the US East Coast. However I did notice that most of travellers seemed to be tourists rather than US residents.

Comment

Originally posted by bunnyhoney View Post
                      I think it probably depends on what train you travel. Of course I came across tourists on my travels, but also a large amount of US Citizens - groups of grandparents going on a trip together to see the grand canyon in Arizona, small family going back home after visiting Chicago, men going to see their mothers in another State, hippies travelling from Seattle to Santa Barbara and busking all the way down..... I actually met more US people then tourists. Again, depends on what trains you travel. I think tourists tend to fly, because they tend to have less time away.
                      As I said, I was only travelling on the East Coast (NY, NJ, DC, Philly, Boston, Toronto and Massachusetts) so my observation might not be valid for the rest of the US. And that trip was more than 8 years ago, so things might have changed since then.
                      The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

It's not a preferred transport system for Americans because US trains are no way as fast as European trains plus .....We are so far behind in this area!

Comment

I once traveled from Hamilton, ONT to New York, NY using Amtrak and it was awesome experience. I think it took a good 10 to 12 hours but I thoroughly enjoyed it. :-)

Comment

Hey I used to live in Vancouver - westside, by Stanley Park!! Where are you?

Originally posted by zain281 View Post
                            I once traveled from Hamilton, ONT to New York, NY using Amtrak and it was awesome experience. I think it took a good 10 to 12 hours but I thoroughly enjoyed it. :-)

Comment

I traveled everyday into the city by train...and then I got laid off so now Im back to driving!
                              Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

Working...
                              X