Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Vacations-The other way round.

Dear guppies

As most of you live in the United States and very few threads mention anything about vacationing in the US, I thought it would be a good idea to dedicate a thread about vacations in the United States of America.

My questions are…

Q1: The best cities to visit.(for an age group of 25 to 29)
    Q2: The cheapest and the best airline to take from Pakistan to the US, with a stop of one day in Dubai and a day in UK. Which airline to fly across the Atlantic.
    Q3: Where to stay in the US, cheap and safe. If you want to visit san francisco , Orlando, Washington D.C, Chicago and new York.
    Q4: If a person is interested in traveling to different cities, which is the cheapest airline that he/she could take within the US? Or should a person buy US airline coupons from a travel agent in Pakistan, the price for 4 coupons of continental in Pakistan is $399. Or should he buy it over the net?
    Q5: What places are there to see in the cities mentioned above?
    Q6: Except of MacDonald’s and KFC what other choice of good eateries does a person have? And how much would it cost.
    Q7: Is las vegas a must see city?
    Q8: Is santa monica the only safe place to live in Los angeles.
    Q9: Where is Yosemite park, what does it offer in summers, camping, hiking etc? (For a nature enthusiast)

In short how can a person get the best of America in the most economical way?
    Last edited by Pakora; Jun 6, 2005, 02:15 PM.
    I love you too.

Re: Summer Vacations-The other way round.

Q1: The best cities to visit.(for an age group of 25 to 29)
    A1: Depends on what you want to do. For a normal fun-loving person, I would recommend, New York, Miami (may be Orlando), Las Vegas, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Q2: The cheapest and the best airline to take from Pakistan to the US, with a stop of one day in Dubai and a day in UK. Which airline to fly across the Atlantic.
    A2: If you wanna stop over in Dubai and UK, then your options are kinda limited to PIA, Emirates, British Air etc. Check from your travel agent.

Q3: Where to stay in the US, cheap and safe. If you want to visit san francisco , Orlando, Washington D.C, Chicago and new York.
    A3: I would say you can get pretty good deals on hotels. Try Priceline or Hotwire etc. They have some fantastic last minute deals as well. I am not into the whole student scene any longer, but I would presume they'd have YMCA hostels too, which may be cheap.

Q4: If a person is interested in traveling to different cities, which is the cheapest airline that he/she could take within the US? Or should a person buy US airline coupons from a travel agent in Pakistan, the price for 4 coupons of continental in Pakistan is $399. Or should he buy it over the net?
    A4: Not an easy question to answer. There is no single cheapest airline. It all depends and varies from time to time. The See America coupons are good for coast-to-coast travel as that can save you a pretty penny. Don't use them for small hop travels. They can have fairly intense conditions, so be sure they work with your schedule, for example, they want you to start travel within a certain number of days of your arrival in the US and then keep on travelling on them. So it may be very cheap to buy them from Pakistan and use them for major coast-to-coast travel, like NY-Miami-Las Vegas-Los Angeles-NY. Something like that.

Q5: What places are there to see in the cities mentioned above?
    A5: Numerous. Check online travel sites. For SF, I listed a few in the other thread.

Q6: Except of MacDonald’s and KFC what other choice of good eateries does a person have? And how much would it cost.
    A6: All kinds of food is available in major cities. Cost depends on the place. You can eat from $4 to $25, generally.

Q7: Is las vegas a must see city?
    A7: Its fun.

Q8: Is santa monica the only safe place to live in Los angeles.
    A8. No

Q9: Where is Yosemite park, what does it offer in summers, camping, hiking etc? (For a nature enthusiast)
    A9: Yosemite is 2 hours drive from SF. Its a great place for hikers and nature enthusiasts. If you are camping, it probably won't be pricey either.

In short how can a person get the best of America in the most economical way?
    By asking around.
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Thank You Faisal.
      I love you too.

Comment

Los Angeles is the most over-hyped city in USA. It's really a $hit-hole. The famous Santa Monica Beach Pier seems like Mexico City! Hollywood feels like Karachi Saddar.

The best places for Family Vacationers are;
        Manhattan, NY
        Orlando, FL
        St Petersburg, FL (On the west coast, a couple of hours from Orlando)
        San Francisco, CA
        Las Vegas, NV

If you are young, fit and like the outdoors then visit any of the tens of National Parks west of the rockies...Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and tons of state parks in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and California.

Food is cheap. If you have time, the best way to see America is by road. Car rentals are very economical and if you are in a group of more than two people.

Comment

Come to the Rockies .. hike, bike, ski and get a load of some western history. No where else you can actually each the famous Buffalo. It tastes like deer meat though.

Most big cities in US are the same, well almost, but the heartland is different in every state.
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

all you los angeles bashers, you dont find LA appealing for one plain reason - you land here for a weekend, and want to rush through all the token "important" spots spread over a very flat city asap. if you only have a couple of days, just stick to walking around downtown and chilling on some of the not so crowded northern beaches.

a-jee, i had a fresh buffalo steak on catalina island, right here in southern cali. the buffalo grows wild right there.
            Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Pakora, you are a young guy. LA needs to be done how young people do it. Don't listen to Faisal and Funguy..thse old [email protected] have nothing to offer you in terms what LA means to the hip. Speak to Queer... Go to the Chateau M, hang out in Hollywood and hit the beaches...take a trip to OC, laguna beach etal...

LA is good times...
              Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

Is Miami any good? Apart from the beaches what else is there to do? I mean you can't sit on the beach all day. Its so damn hyped up that I'm dying to go there and see it all for myself now

Regarding LA, are the beaches (Venice/Malibu etc) as good as they look on TV?
                What about LA gang warfare. Is it as violent as made out? I used to be really fascinated by their Crips/Bloods/Latino gang warfare hype.
                "Before you visit Mecca it beckons to you, when you leave it behind, it calls to you forever."

Comment

PakoRay, I have my basement ready for you, any time yaara. When are you arriving?

Comment

Oh and a view of Karachi Saddar
                    http://img108.echo.cx/img108/8304/29...9medium2wc.jpg
                    http://img201.echo.cx/img201/466/3533684pict43933sv.jpg
                    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Comment

Thats Your opinion MQ

Comment

I don't think its ever fair to compare two excellent cities.

LA has a lot to offer for a nice vacation. Especially for folks whom I call "CheckMark Tourists". These are the kind who wish to visit all the known spots in a place and not necessarily kick back and relax. In greater LA area, one can check out excellent amusement parks (Disney, California Adventure, Six Flags, Universal), drive around Hollywood and especially Rodeo Drive, check out exclusive areas in Malibu and have fun in Santa Barbara. There is just a lot to do. Also LA is very spread out.

SF has a different kind of charm, due to its unique geography, climate (its not as warm as Southern Cal) and history. SF is not spread out at all, and the streets have a very nostalgic hilly style that it makes for a wonderful vacation experience.

Both cities offer amazing night life.
                        "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Next time any of you paindoos is in my town, ill introduce you to them
                          [thumb=H]crips11313_8151731.JPG[/thumb]

Comment

Thanks for the input. My pocket would make sure that I don’t take a rain check on the invitations I received.
                            There are still a few cities left where I will be homeless. Now you wouldn’t want a Pakistani bhai to sleep in a cardboard box, would you? :masoom:

Today it was 42 C in Peshawar , still I managed to go to many travel agents the best deal I got was
                            Fly PIA, Shaheen or emirates to dubai, stay a day in dubai at the airlines expense, next take KLM to Amsterdam , stay a day in Amsterdam, at my own expense, next take KLM to Chicago and then united to Minneapolis.
                            It turned out to be quite cheap.
                            Madhanee: I shall be coming over after the 21st of June. Till then I will be going to abbotabad, nathia gali , and thandyani.

Damn it sounds like life is one big vacation. How sad.
                            I love you too.

Comment

Working...
                            X