Immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immigration

Its a very strong word.. isnt it ?!? :-) .. khayr coming back to topic... i have few questions ..

1) What are the most basic things to pack if you are migrating to some place where you cannot take a lot of luggage?

2) What to do when you do not know anyone there for arranging accomodation etc?

3) What to take when you have a new born baby with you?

4) How much cash should be in hand in order to survive couple of months?
    Looking for fishes....<}}}><

Re: Immigration

It all depends on the country/region you plan on immigrating to.

If you don't mind sharing the country/region, then I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of helpful information, insha'Allah.

Comment

Actually i was thinking generally Sadiyah .. Speaking of which .... does region really matters?!?! I mean there r same situation everywhere.. isnt it ?!? or mayb m not gettin the right dimension ?

Comment

Aleezay, sometimes it could make a difference, but not always though.

1) Just pack enough clothes so that you can survive for about a month or so. You can always buy more clothes from the place you plan on moving to.

2) If it's a western country, then I'm sure one could obtain plenty of necessary information at the airport. Plus, many people I know rent motels for a number of days, till they are able to find an apartment (or basement apartment).

3) No idea

4) If you were to move to Toronto, you'd need approximately $3,000 (Canadian) for monthly expenditure. Therefore, you're looking at approximately $6,000 (Canadian) for a couple of months. Given that you would want to buy clothes and other necessary items, you could be looking at around $8,000-$9,000 (Canadian).

This is just a rough estimate and I could be totally wrong.

Comment

Aww.. that was quick and really helpful .. i really really appreciate that .. wesay ... i was talking about Australia if you must kno...

hmmm Motels? wouldn't they be more expensive?
          Isnt there anyway we could arrange for some place there to rent from here??

Comment

Hey Aleezay

Here are some of the answers to your questions..i have some more things to add..so, i'll add those..after answering your questions. Hope, it helps.

1. Most of the times when you are immigrating to a new country you are allowed to take extra luggage as compared to everyday travellers. But if you have limited space..i would say..basic clothing according to the weather of the country you are migrating to..few basic non-stick utensils to cook food etc..few masalay etc that might be expensive outside the country like small cardamom etc. Also quilted sheets and inflamable pillow etc if you don't plan to buy furniture for next few month..oh yeah..its good to have a light weight iron and hand chopper or sort of thing to help in cooking related tasks.

2. Internet has become a very helpful tool..no matter where you are moving in the world..you can always get information and can find accomodation (even the cheap one) with the help of internet rental sites. Sometimes you can get connected to the potential landlords and you can tell them via email that you are immigrating and will pay them as soon as you get there. Some, do understand..some of them are so accomodating that they can arrange for your pickup from the airport as well..or can guide you in any regard.

3. Diapers and powdered milk costs the most when you think about a newly born baby..so if some cotton diapers with waterproof covering system can be kept..or all in one diapers can be kept for the baby..it can save parents extra money as compared to disposable diapers. The only cost will be of washing them and that can done by using coin laundry if washer/dryer is not available in the rented accomodation. As for the milk costs..they can be reduced if the baby is fed by mom..or if the powdered milk is bought in bulk from the backhome to take along to the new country.

4. I have seen families bringing in between $3000-$10,000..it totally depends on what they can afford to bring..the ones that were able to save the assets..really held on the money..they bought cheap rental places..didn't bought furniture for a while..and bought the cheapest grocery items available on sale prices. They also took the first opportunity to grab an employment no matter if it was odd job or factory related job via registering with employment agencies. They wanted the money to start coming..then going out. But they kept on searching for the jobs in their fields or something relevant of the sort on the side..and moved on to better opportunity when they could.

Some of the additional information that i wanted to add: most of the countries with the immigration policies for newcomers do have websites that tells you all about that country. Most of the governments do have newcomer programs to help the new immigrants..so one should read those websites to gain information. Also, some websites are linked to community agencies that help new immigrants with settling and job search..so, once the person move to that country or even before..there's no harm in contacting those agencies. Lastly, i think its a good idea to visit job search websites of that country to give oneself some idea about the jobs available and requirements to go with them. Also, its not a bad idea to start applying for jobs even before moving to that country.

That's all i can think about right now..if you have any other specific questions..feel free to ask

Comment

Leezay, one thing which I did when I immigrated to Canada to avoid bringing a lot of cash-in hand was that I paid for as many things as I could on my credit card from my home country, then would use internet banking to pay off the card every few days. It typically cost an extra 2.1% on everything, but I felt safer not having large amounts of cash on my person.

My money is only ever safe in 1 place - in the bank. For a little while I carried around a bank draft that was 90% of all the money I had and I felt worried about it all the time!!!

Staying in a hotel is very expensive. What you can often get instead (online) are self-catered furnished apartments. They are more expensive than renting a residential apartment, but are cheaper than hotels. At least for 1 week, it may be suitable for you.
              Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
              Al-Ghazali

Comment

I am frequent traveller and I normally take following
                1) Cloths 3 - 5 Sets, basic medicines (what you are using), small sewing kit, an electric Kettle (Small about 1 litter), A multiuse Swiss knife, a set of spoon and forks, plastic mugs

2) book youth hostal for couple of days and then find a better place, this can be booked from everywher in world.
                3) Take enough cloths, food and basic medicins for at least one week (if the baby is on special diet then take one month food and medicins). don't forget bottle warmer.
                4) depending on area, I would still take few hundred dollars as cash and rest as traveller cheques and credit card.
                There is always a moral in every story

Comment

Originally posted by Aleezay
                  Its a very strong word.. isnt it ?!? :-) .. khayr coming back to topic... i have few questions ..

1) What are the most basic things to pack if you are migrating to some place where you cannot take a lot of luggage?

2) What to do when you do not know anyone there for arranging accomodation etc?

3) What to take when you have a new born baby with you?

4) How much cash should be in hand in order to survive couple of months?
                  Let me make an attempt!!!

1-Carrying luggage is a privilage given by the Airline and not the Host country, for all they care you can carry a container load as long as you can afford it.

2-YMCA or the Hare Rama Hare Krishna Mission (Believe you me they both work efficiently irrespective of your religion).

3-Lots of Diapers and lots of formula, and then some patience.

4-Atleast 5 grand Green Backs, if not more (more is better) and for this advise you will eventually thank me!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X