Dual nationality and travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual nationality and travel

Ok, my wife has Pakistani and American citizenship. She also has canadian resident status. We're living in Canada.

Now, we're traveling to Pakistan, and she wants to travel on her American. I'm like, use the pakistani to go to pakistan,and on the way back, use the american, and keeps the canadian resident card to come back.

I'm planning on using my pakistani to go to pakistan, and showing my canadian, when I come back ...

should there be any issues? Is it allowed to use one passport half of the way, and use another the rest of the way?

Re: Dual nationality and travel

Of course its allowed. Whenever anyone from my family goes to Pakistan they use Pakistani passport on the way and British on the way back.

Comment

thanks .. thats what I figured.. but she was kinda paranoid about it..

Comment

Just tell her what's the point in having 2 passports if you dont use them?

Comment

im a candian born citizen..but also have a pakistani nationaly (cuz of my father)...so I also have a pakistan passport...so when i went to pak in dec..i used my paki passport (saved me the $$ for the visa)...and when i came back to canada i used my candian passport..no hassles at all.....
          "Seek Allah's help with patient perseverance and prayer. It is indeed hard except for those who are humble." (2:45)

Comment

She shouldn't have any problems..i have used pakistani passport to enter pakistan and on the way back i have used the canadian passport.

Comment

No offense to the above but i would double check with your gov't passport agency...u don't want to get stuck in a hole bc of rule changes OR a immigration clerk who's a stickler...

Comment

One issue with travelling on a Pakistani passport is that should you encounter legal troubles, the US or Canadian government will give you no assistance, since you chose to travel as a Pakistani national. Definitely double check before you go. We prefer to travel on US passports with NICOP cards so that we don't need visas.

Comment

Originally posted by amana
                  We prefer to travel on US passports with NICOP cards so that we don't need visas.
                  US passports with NICOP? Most likely you mean POC (Pakistan Origin Card) as NICOP is for Pak citizens only. POC gets you the same privileges, with a higher fees.
                  "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

I just asked my dad about this and he said that when you arrive in Pakistan you should show both passports to confirm that you will be allowed to travel back to the country you came from.

Comment

I have heard it is necessary to carry both passports wherever you go but I doubt that is the case. Can anyone confirm that?

I think it is only necessary to carry both passports if you intend to use both of them.

Like if a US/Pakistani passport holder travels to England, he can do so only with his US passport; no need to carry Pakistani passport. But if he travels to Pakistan, he needs to show both passports at the port of entry in Pakistan and then in US too.
                      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

we plan on carrying all passports, and documents. i don't think there should be any legal troubles since i plan on [sarcasm]leaving my collection of drugs at home.[/sarcasm]

its just that, we we get to pakistan, we'll show our green passports. when we're leaving, i'll show them my canadian, and my wife will show her permanent resident card.

should be all good.

its true that I can get through the airport faster if i use the foreign passport holders line ... but, whats the hurry ..

Comment

Nomaan - yup, you are right, that's what I meant. We just applied for NICOP cards for my BIL, duh!

Actually, we've found that we're treated better in the foreign passport holders line!

Comment

Working...
                          X