Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ukraine

Do we have someone here from Ukraine or nearby? There are lots of guides online but they all seem to be from pre-conflict period. I have following travel related questions on behalf of someone I know:

1- How safe is Uber/Taxi for a Pakistani visitor who doesn’t speak Russian/Ukranian?
    2- How safe is inter-city travel in public transport? If it is bus vs train, which is better and why?
    3- Are local mobile phone SIMs available at the int’l airport? Companies with good coverage?
    4- Is there any nationwide police/ambulance emergency number? How to dial it from a mobile phone? How to make international calls from mobile phones to Pakistan?
    5- Any other tips for a short work-related trip to a couple of main cities.

We may not have anyone here, but I do have a couple of friends from Ukraine. I'll try asking them next time I meet.
    Attitude is more important than facts.
    "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

• decentGuy
      decentGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      I guessed so, but still gave it a shot.

Sorry the two friends i was referring about turned out to be Romanians. But i'll keep an eye. NYC has people from all around the world
    Attitude is more important than facts.
    "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
      Do we have someone here from Ukraine or nearby? There are lots of guides online but they all seem to be from pre-conflict period. I have following travel related questions on behalf of someone I know:

1- How safe is Uber/Taxi for a Pakistani visitor who doesn’t speak Russian/Ukranian?
      2- How safe is inter-city travel in public transport? If it is bus vs train, which is better and why?
      3- Are local mobile phone SIMs available at the int’l airport? Companies with good coverage?
      4- Is there any nationwide police/ambulance emergency number? How to dial it from a mobile phone? How to make international calls from mobile phones to Pakistan?
      5- Any other tips for a short work-related trip to a couple of main cities.
      1. Few people speak English specially young generation in Ukraine, no older person speaks English (I speak Czech / Slovak so I barely managed there). Uber is pretty safe, but dont expect driver to speak English, if you get one speaking English then feel yourself lucky. In major cities I'd suggest using marshrutka (yellow bus), its cheap and easily available, however get a map of marshrutka service before you use it.
      2. Inter city coach travel is safe. Train service was not that great when I visited, may have improved now.
      3. Mobile SIM is available but I wont recommend getting it from airport, get it from a normal outlet in city, at airport it will be super expensive. I'd recommend MTS/Vodafone.
      4. In case of emergency always use "112", its international emergency number works anywhere in Europe, there is always English operators available on this number.

Just a tip, learn some Russian basic terms / sentences. Usually there are 21 usual sentences if you learn of any langauge you can get by as tourist with that much for few days. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Najim View Post

1. Few people speak English specially young generation in Ukraine, no older person speaks English (I speak Czech / Slovak so I barely managed there). Uber is pretty safe, but dont expect driver to speak English, if you get one speaking English then feel yourself lucky. In major cities I'd suggest using marshrutka (yellow bus), its cheap and easily available, however get a map of marshrutka service before you use it.
        2. Inter city coach travel is safe. Train service was not that great when I visited, may have improved now.
        3. Mobile SIM is available but I wont recommend getting it from airport, get it from a normal outlet in city, at airport it will be super expensive. I'd recommend MTS/Vodafone.
        4. In case of emergency always use "112", its international emergency number works anywhere in Europe, there is always English operators available on this number.

Just a tip, learn some Russian basic terms / sentences. Usually there are 21 usual sentences if you learn of any langauge you can get by as tourist with that much for few days. Good luck.
        Thank you for your input, that is quite helpful. I'll read up a bit more about those things and then pass the information along to the person looking for it. They plan to travel before Winter, so it will be latest by some time in September this year. I found some Shawarma restaurants Kyiv online, and plan to call them as well to get some more idea.

Comment

Working...
        X