My trip to Gilgit Baltistan - Khunjerab Pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My trip to Gilgit Baltistan - Khunjerab Pass

Dear Gushup members I hope all of you are doing fine. In the summer of 2019 I made a trip of a lifetime to the northern areas. From my village in Punjab to Khunjerab Pass I wanted to visit: Naran, Saiful Muluk, Gilgit, Hunza, Khunjerab Pass, Fairy Meadows and Siri Paye. I live in the Netherlands so I only had 3 weeks in Pakistan of which I did spend 6 days in Karachi. I wanted to cover the Northern Area in max. 7 days. Will I accomplish my goal and succeed visiting all the places I mentioned above? In this thread I will share with you ups and downs of this journey! Please stay with me and give me feedback. Thank you.

I will start with video Day 1 at 20:17.

https://youtu.be/wFat1gvVD-8

Na pooch mera patta mauj e hawa hoon main....

Thank you sir for taking us along on the trip. The twisting road at 04:10 and then roadblocks at 04:52 seem dangerous !

I rented a car for a day’s trip and it was not a very good experience. Following is what I experienced:

1- Lack of respect for a customer’s time and money was appalling.
    2- Advance notices of a week, 3 days, 3 hours mean little. Everything is arranged at last moment.
    3- Re-explain everything to the driver. Failure to do so before engine start is a big mistake despite paying for fuel, and car being on daily rental rates.
    4- Absolutely take pictures of odometer and fuel gauge before engine start. It is a proof you can show to police/mediators.
    5- A driver who uses vulgar language is surely a no-no, especially when with family. It was a mood killer ! Warn in advance.
    6- Telling the driver that you are not from there, unaware of local language, don't know name of places and routes will only increase your bill.
    7- Never treat driver as a friend, there is no going back to setting boundaries after that.

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
      Thank you sir for taking us along on the trip. The twisting road at 04:10 and then roadblocks at 04:52 seem dangerous !

I rented a car for a day’s trip and it was not a very good experience. Following is what I experienced:

1- Lack of respect for a customer’s time and money was appalling.
      2- Advance notices of a week, 3 days, 3 hours mean little. Everything is arranged at last moment.
      3- Re-explain everything to the driver. Failure to do so before engine start is a big mistake despite paying for fuel, and car being on daily rental rates.
      4- Absolutely take pictures of odometer and fuel gauge before engine start. It is a proof you can show to police/mediators.
      5- A driver who uses vulgar language is surely a no-no, especially when with family. It was a mood killer ! Warn in advance.
      6- Telling the driver that you are not from there, unaware of local language, don't know name of places and routes will only increase your bill.
      7- Never treat driver as a friend, there is no going back to setting boundaries after that.

Wow what a story and I think you pretty much summed it up when things can go wrong and in your case they did go terribly wrong.
      1. Lack of respect should never be tolerated.
      2/3. Welcome to Pakistan.
      4. Well you will be entangled in more problems but there is no harm in taking pictures.
      5. Appalling my friend I can't believe you had to go through this.
      6. This is something one should discuss in advance. Take an interview if needed.
      7. Yes specially when you don't know them because my experience is whether it's a driver or guide don't be to comfy with them because it's most of the time acting.
      I know I am generalizing and not everyone is bad but they are mostly all the time nice because they are expecting extra pay. From their point of view I also understand that
      because they don't earn much. Most of the time the car that they are driving is not owned by them.

My advice when you go to Pakistan:
      Book the car for a week or as long you are staying in Pakistan. Discuss everything from A to Z (who will pay fuel, car oil, repair, driver, hotel for the driver....etc.).
      Save phonenr(s) of your driver and ask him to save yours. Also if possible save phonenr. of the owner of the car. Ask if the driver is experienced or not and if he has been
      to the destination before.

You were talking about the curvy roads Bro you have seen nothing yet. Just wait and see what I will post here tomorrow....and day after that. You will not believe your eyes. lolz

Comment

Your motivation in making videos while travelling is worth appreciating

especally in Pak as people just gather around you or in front of camera when making lol

have seen your channel before and is worth watching

keep it up

Comment

Originally posted by batameez View Post
          Your motivation in making videos while travelling is worth appreciating

especally in Pak as people just gather around you or in front of camera when making lol

have seen your channel before and is worth watching

keep it up
          Thank you so very much. My latest upload about Chakwal Chappar bazar, in that video you will see dozens of beautiful Pakistani people gathering around me lolz
          Once again thank you very much for your appreciation.

Comment

I hope you liked my first video of my Trip to Gilgit Baltistan, me leaving my village. Today I am going to share with you part 2 (still day 1).
            At the end of my previous video I did mention that as soon as we arrived in Abbottabad the sky opened up and it started raining like never before.
            When you go to the northern areas you can never be fully prepared because there are so many uncertain factors that you have to deal with. One of the uncertain factor RAIN!!
            I told my driver to move the car aside and rest for few hours till it stops raining but he kept on going. We started hearing weird sounds coming from the car.
            Eventually he pulled over at a petrol station. I thought we have to go back home and my dream journey will end here at a petrol station in Abbottabad.
            I hope you will enjoy watching this video.

Day 1 - Northern Pakistan: Stuck in Abbottabad - Torrential Rain | Part 2

https://youtu.be/lh2163A-bss

Comment

I forgot how dark it gets, certainly very adventerous. Thanks for sharing. Chicken was my fovourite part. For nature I love travelling across Canada and creating foods in wilderness. Love rustic living

Comment

ED5568FF-9E44-42C1-A4D4-9C7B0C13E1B6.jpeg

Comment

Ah

what a reminder

Been to chakwal and broke my new chappal on the way back to the rickshaw , what a comical relief

not worth taking pics/video as i end up being video/pic myself even though was wearing a big chaddor

Comment

Originally posted by batameez View Post
                    Ah

what a reminder

Been to chakwal and broke my new chappal on the way back to the rickshaw , what a comical relief

not worth taking pics/video as i end up being video/pic myself even though was wearing a big chaddor

Foreigners and Pakistani women have one thing is common. They don't have lack of attention in Pakistan. lolz Whether you are taking pic/ video you will be gazed at and are talk of the market (sadly).

Comment

Working...
                    X