Person you sit next to on the plane.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Person you sit next to on the plane.

I used to really look forward to sitting next to interesting people on the plane and having interesting conversations, but of late I wasn't quite so lucky. Most of the time people just want to sleep, or they just seem boring and the worst, I get seated next to fat, smelly men bulging out of their seats. So what I've started to do is either pre-book my seat right at the front where mothers and toddlers usually get seated, or I ask to be seated next to a lady. This time around my travel was much more comfortable because of this. I was next to another female and there was an empty seat between us, which was a bonus.
    A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

i always get unlucky seats.

i've had an Indian chemist explain to me over the course of 13 hours how his phd from india helped him, how certain molecules are more interesting than others, how he used to watch cricket some decades ago, but was wondering if manjrekar was still around. and he would just stop talking and look at me until i asked him about molecules again.

i've had one guy insist that i learn the pushto nummerals for six hours and for the life of me, I couldnt get him to stop bothering the hell out of me. Acha to ab bolo "za ve cho pi" (substitute real pushto words please..)

take no chances catwoman. do what i did this time. skip the night sleep a day before the flight and snooze your way across the world.
    Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

I have always had good experiances in the plane. Its nice to talk to someone new The world is so interesting ...isn't it..

Comment

This time flying was a quite a disaster for me while flying back to London from Pak.. *ahem* I was so sick that I starting vomiting the time the food arrived for everyone, Oh it was so embarrasing, as the others were having their meal, I refused mine , I had a terrible sickness feeling in my tummy and then when the smell reached me I literally fulled the vomit bag!!!! My family was sitting behind me, and I was sitting in the middle of two men, one was a pakistani guy, he was quite understanding and said at the end 'looks like you didn't have a pleasent journey'.

Comment

I've had great experiences on airlines. I usually wear a dupatta which almost always results in nobody sitting next to me. Woo hoo! Free space for elbows/books/purse. *grin*
          "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

I never have trouble getting my on a plane. And it's always great when u're seated next to an aimable person. and sometimes not so great when u're seated next to a smelly illiterate chauffeur from kuwait i literally held my breath for the length of that trip!

when i flew to india a few months back, i met a bunch of friendly people on the plane, all of whom were new yorkers too. i was glad for their company when we had to wait for 6 hours in kuwait. and we've kept in touch too, now that we're all back

khayr, vaapsi mein i was seated to this dude, some software engineer from DC.. he was a nice guy, helped me out quite a bit with my luggage... but i felt uncomfortable coz he was being toooo nice. neway, he kept pressing me for my phone number, and i tactfully changed the subject a few times, but he wudn't give up.. so i ended up giving him a fake email. has that ever happened to you guys?

Comment

lol those are some interesting stories. The last time I came here I had a Punjabi Indian man sitting next to me, who didnt want to pay for his whiskey. It was daytime and only a 2 hour flight and him and the steward began a swearing match, I was so hoping nooone thought I was with him. And he was reaking of alcohol and very talkative!

One time on a short flight I was sat next to a nice lady who in just a brief time had a longlasting impact on me, she said the wisest thing to me, "You know you have matured when you stop blaming your parents and your past for your short-comings".
              A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

I remember a freaky experience once. I was sitting next to this person who was in a band, he must have been in his late thirties or maybe older. Anyway, I was wearing a colorful dupatta with western clothing. So I am sitting there and he strikes up a conversation. Then he said the funniest thing to me. He said, "I like your hair, nice hair." Now at this point I was thinking what in the world, my hair is covered. Did he see a wisp of it or take a peek somehow while I was getting in my seat? (You know how dupatta moves around sometimes.) So I said, "what do you mean?" And to my shock and horror he meant the hair on my armsssss!!! I was soooo embarrassed. Later I almost burst out laughing after realizing what just happened (especially since I was wearing long sleeves as usual). It was very difficult conversing with him the rest of the trip, I was feeling terribly shy and embarrassed.
                "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

Originally posted by Munni:
                  I remember a freaky experience once. I was sitting next to this person who was in a band, he must have been in his late thirties or maybe older. Anyway, I was wearing a colorful dupatta with western clothing. So I am sitting there and he strikes up a conversation. Then he said the funniest thing to me. He said, "I like your hair, nice hair." Now at this point I was thinking what in the world, my hair is covered. Did he see a wisp of it or take a peek somehow while I was getting in my seat? (You know how dupatta moves around sometimes.) So I said, "what do you mean?" And to my shock and horror he meant the hair on my armsssss!!! I was soooo embarrassed. Later I almost burst out laughing after realizing what just happened (especially since I was wearing long sleeves as usual). It was very difficult conversing with him the rest of the trip, I was feeling terribly shy and embarrassed.
                  omg it can't get freakier than that! I've never traveled alone, and when I do travel my family is seated together, I think I would hate sitting next to a stranger... well I have some exceptions.

Comment

After my marriage when i went
                    back to Holland i sit next to a men.
                    But i feel so sad coz i have to leave my
                    hubby in Pakistan and i start to cry when
                    the plain rise. The men who sit next to
                    me if i feel okay and if i want medicine.
                    But i said no thanks.
                    Last time when i goes to Pakistan i go with my
                    Hubby
                    Ya Nabi Salaam Alaika Ya Rasool Salaam Alaika Ya Habib Salaam Alaika.

Comment

none of dat has happned to me, Allah ka shukar hai
                      cuz our family usually gets seats together
                      *Apne haath zara tu ootha lay, mang lay Rab se dua ke vo baant day sari khushian..bhula de sare ghum*

Comment

I would've thought the dutch had better english than that. Engerland only being a swim away and all.

Comment

I got (was forced to) to sit next to this danish-the-menace kid once. Some pakistani aunty had a few too many kids to handle and asked me if I could babysit her 5-yr old, like some sort of barra bhai.

Over the next few hours, chota bhai had introduced and narrated entire autobiographies of each of his entire figurine collection, made 5 trips to the washroom with a proclamation of "kuch ni wa" (kuch nahin hua) everytime - which made me think he'd pishhi in his knickers at any given moment, wailed uncontrollably until I gave him my dessert, kept interrupting my nap and insisted on watching his enactment of some sort of lord of the rings battle scene with his robot and dragonball Z figurines and bombarded me with "ya kya?, woh kya" questions while pointing at any and every thing that moved.

It was almost worth it coz I think I was scoring major points with some chick a couple rows back. But when I "happened-to-pass-by-her-seat-on-my-way-to-the-washroom", chaccha miaan gave a hard, cold stare and twitched his moochain like he was gonna take out his raffle (rifle) any time.

Before disembarking, aunty jee went all shukriya beta jee and the lil' monster gave me a hug and even offered his Gokan toy. I really should've taken it, he would've broken it in the next day or two anyway.. saaalaaa. We left with "wapsi ki flight pe milain gey", and he actually believed it.

Cute kid. Even cuter girl. Not-so-cute dad. Hardly any sleep for the last few days and hordes of sweaty relatives waiting to meet me in the blistering Paistani heat.

Gotta love those trips back to the mothership.

Comment

^ thats the cutest flight ordeal ive heard hehehe kids are so halarious.. sound like my lil 11 yr old cousin who cant get enuff of Pooh and stickers..

on my flight bangkok/karachi/lahore... i had a 50+ curry with a lump on top of his head wink at me and some other dude blew a kiss!!! silly desis

Comment

Awwwwww that's a really cute story, DK.

I recall when I was really little, my brother and I were in seats a little away from our parents, and there was another uncle sitting next to us, who was fairly friendly throughout the flight. I felt totally comfortable around him until the flight attendant came by and asked him if we were his kids and he said yes. After that I was totally freaked out. Now that I think back (and this is how my parents later interpreted when my brother and I told them) he was probably just trying to save us trouble, in case we were travelling alone. But it was still pretty darn creepy.

Comment

Working...
                              X