Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool Blog on Women's Prayer Spaces

Side Entrance
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Re: Cool Blog on Women's Prayer Spaces

What did you find "cool" about this blog PCG?

Comment

The attention she brings to negligence towards the right of the muslim woman to pray in public.

Comment

At all the local masjids I have had the opportunity to pray, there is a section for women. Usually part of the same hall as men, almost a 1/3rd or more than a 1/3rd of the same space is reserved for the ladies because it's less females there and a majority of men, so that they may also join in and benefit from a congregational prayer just like the men.

Females are given the right to pray in a masjid as much as men, and should be accommodated generously. It's unfortunate that some places treat them in a condition of almost "tolerating" their presence.

The blog had an interesting image of a female imam leading a mixed gender congregation. To top it off, the walls are decorated with pictures/paintings of objects that we are recommended not to even wear on our shirts, let alone have next to place of prayer. I almost sighed at that. Why go to the other absolute extreme to prove a point? Not cool.
        Last edited by teggy; Sep 4, 2013, 09:39 PM. Reason: typo
        Boycott Indian economy. Buy Pakistani!

Comment

From the same blog.

Comment

This trend of women leading prayer for mixed congregation is seriously disturbing.

Comment

Seriously? That is like one posting in the entire blog, the remainder of it is pictures after pictures and stories of how women feel unwelcome in their local masjids.

And THAT's what you pick to focus on?

Diverting attention are we?

Comment

No, just highlighting what is also a part of the same blog. As for focusing on the message, I already mentioned that where there is a lack of accommodation, it needs to be improved. I also cited an example of the places where I've seen that accommodation personally. So I'm not trying to divert the attention. Because that one picture was a part of the blog, so it's fair to comment on that as well.

How do you feel about that picture?

Comment

American Muslims need to spend some money on their mosques...they're in terrible conditions specially the women's area.
                  I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

^ Ok, for once, I feel like I can agree with you.

Yes, we do need to fix women's prayer spaces. In areas where there is a higher population, I think there is more emphasis on this. When I went to Texas, the prayer spaces have entire separate areas for women that are pretty spacious - and separate areas for women with kids, so other women who want some peace and silence in prayer can get it.

Unfortunately all the moms with young kids are in one oversized play pen having to read namaz and deal with their kids too.

What do you guys think about a separate area for babysitting services during prayer time, where maybe kids can be with a couple of young teacher volunteers who have them either pray or teach them about prayers, etc while namaaz is going on?

Comment

Worse prayer space I went to - our university's musallah - which to this day has made me very angry towards men from the middle east. Our univ had two groups - the undergrad kids who were locally born and just going to uni, and then the arabs in the engineering department all on visas from Saudi. The Saudis were pouring $$ into the univ and getting their kids into the school. Some of them, truly hard lined individuals.

So the musallah was taken over by the saudis, and the local students had zero control over it. The local students even had to form their own group, because the MSA was filled with these people, and they would control the activities - keeping women separate, women could not hold positions in the MSA (which prolly violated the university law but no one would report these goons), etc. And so this was their musallah. I wish I had pics to contribute to this blog.

Small room, a/c broken, dust everywhere, broken desk, computer on the desk that did not work and could not connect to the univ wi-fi, and file cabinets with God knows what papers and files. An old ratty couch.

A sign on the door strictly asking women to wear a hijab and face covering if entering the premises, and then some poster on the door, all in Arabic which none of us could read. Ah-ha, but then one of our girls who major'ed in Arabic could make out the messages, one of them being something something dirty, like a woman's vagina.

Literally. Written on the door of the female's musallah.

One bathroom to be shared amongst the sexes, that if a woman was using, she was asked to leave so the men could use it. This happened in front of me.

And if a woman was wearing hijab in the hall adjoining the men and women's rooms where the bathroom was, obviously she was trying to do wudu prior to namaz, she would get scoleded that her face was not covered. This also happened in front of my face.

And then to get INTO the musallah, the women were given keys and asked to enter from the back entrance, with stairwellls - 3 flights - in a dirty, never-vacuumed back stairwell, that was not lit - so we would climb the stairs in the dark with our cellphones as flash lights. I kid you NOT.

*sighz*

This was an American University. Yes. This was how bad it was.

Comment

Yes, babysitting service for attendees with kids is a great idea. It was implemented during taraweeh, here. The management would make periodic announcements 10 minutes before Isha would commence, that moms/dads should bring their children to the babysitting room so they can pray peacefully while children are in the care of babysitters.

Comment

Should have reported it.

Originally posted by PyariCgudia View Post
                          Worse prayer space I went to - our university's musallah - which to this day has made me very angry towards men from the middle east. Our univ had two groups - the undergrad kids who were locally born and just going to uni, and then the arabs in the engineering department all on visas from Saudi. The Saudis were pouring $$ into the univ and getting their kids into the school. Some of them, truly hard lined individuals.

So the musallah was taken over by the saudis, and the local students had zero control over it. The local students even had to form their own group, because the MSA was filled with these people, and they would control the activities - keeping women separate, women could not hold positions in the MSA (which prolly violated the university law but no one would report these goons), etc. And so this was their musallah. I wish I had pics to contribute to this blog.

Small room, a/c broken, dust everywhere, broken desk, computer on the desk that did not work and could not connect to the univ wi-fi, and file cabinets with God knows what papers and files. An old ratty couch.

A sign on the door strictly asking women to wear a hijab and face covering if entering the premises, and then some poster on the door, all in Arabic which none of us could read. Ah-ha, but then one of our girls who major'ed in Arabic could make out the messages, one of them being something something dirty, like a woman's vagina.

Literally. Written on the door of the female's musallah.

One bathroom to be shared amongst the sexes, that if a woman was using, she was asked to leave so the men could use it. This happened in front of me.

And if a woman was wearing hijab in the hall adjoining the men and women's rooms where the bathroom was, obviously she was trying to do wudu prior to namaz, she would get scoleded that her face was not covered. This also happened in front of my face.

And then to get INTO the musallah, the women were given keys and asked to enter from the back entrance, with stairwellls - 3 flights - in a dirty, never-vacuumed back stairwell, that was not lit - so we would climb the stairs in the dark with our cellphones as flash lights. I kid you NOT.

*sighz*

This was an American University. Yes. This was how bad it was.

Comment

Interesting

Comment

The mosque I attend has quite an ample space for ladies, and has a separate nursery section. I really like the idea of babysitting, will pass it to ladies' president.

Comment

Working...
                              X