Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumi - on Fornication

Peace

Mawlana Rumi said "If you are going to fornicate, make sure it is with a Princess"

:rotato:

Please discuss ...
    The Prophet(SAW) said:
    "I am leaving you two things and you will never go astray as long as you cling to them -- they are the Book of Allah and my Sunnah." [Reported by Al- Haakim - Sahih].

Re: Rumi - on Fornication

Wasn't expecting this from Rumi.
    I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

If you have a good opinion of Mawlana Rumi ... How then would you look at this statement?
      The Prophet(SAW) said:
      "I am leaving you two things and you will never go astray as long as you cling to them -- they are the Book of Allah and my Sunnah." [Reported by Al- Haakim - Sahih].

Comment

Originally posted by hareem01 View Post
        Wasn't expecting this from Rumi.
        The Arabic proverb, “If you commit fornication, commit it with a free woman, and if you steal, steal a pearl.”

Masnavi Rumi Poetry (

This basically means that if you’re going to do something wrong and fornicate, don’t go to a prostitute. If you’re going to have himmah in the dunya, have high dunya himmah. Don’t go to hell for something cheap. A Turkish proverb says that if they’re going to hang you from the tree, demand that they hang you from the highest one. One time Imam al-Junaid was walking by and saw a man that was going to be hung for brigandary, and he stopped by the man and said salams to him. He said, do you show a brigand like that any respect? He said I’m impressed with any man willing to give his life for what he desires. His point was that, he’s willing to give his life for dunya, and we’re not willing to give our lives for the akhirah?

http://thetruthful.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/cd-4/
        We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

It is called sha irana ta alli (MQW or KKF brethren, please translate it for me). I seriously doubt Maulana would ever had given it to anyone as a serious advice.

Comment

shai'raana ta'alli = shaa'iraana Ghulu/sheiKhii/Deeng

in more common English language:

shaa'iraana ta'alli = poetic license
            Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
            16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

By this statement Mawlana Rumi is actually advocating the opposite of what appears in the literal text. It is indeed about "himma" ... or zeal ...

The punishment of fornication is being presented as a big one ... it is supposed to scare us away. But one may forget the magnitude when an "easy opportunity" comes his way ...

By making this statement he is:

a) Delaying the act - by teaching others at least try and balance the act with the immense punishment that comes later, finding a princess and managing to get intimate with her will be near impossible.

More to come later ...
              The Prophet(SAW) said:

Comment

Working...
              X