Taweez or Talisman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taweez or Talisman?

I just wanted to get opinions here, I realize that none of you is a real religious scholar, but maybe that makes you a smarter person.

Some of these "aalims" in Pakistan, they will, to help you ward off nazar, give you a taweez. I've seen this in a number of forms. Sometimes it's a black thread necklace you wear with a black cloth pocket with a verse stuffed into it. Sometimes it's a tasbeeh that has been "blessed" whatever that means.

One gentleman actually asked my grandmom bring churian to him, and he "blessed those", and I was asked to wear them during exams to keep off the nazar.

How much of this is actually talisman, or objects that have jadoo done on them, to have these clients coming back to the aalim repeatedly? And in these cases, the guy never took money. But it just seems suspicious to me.

Oddly enough, when I THREW AWAY these taweez, my life dramatically got better.
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Re: Taweez or Talisman?

jaahiliyat.
    Insulting and inflammatory signatures are not allowed, but posts are

Comment

I've heard if the taweez does not contain shik such as the names of jinns, if it doesn't have magic done on it, and if it is not given with the belief that the talisman or words itself will protect but rather it is Allah that has power over all things...then it's okay. But Allah knows best.

I feel that if let's say say a person has magic on them and they don't resort to tawiz and instead reads Quran and prays for the removal of the magic, what's the point if the person doesn't have faith in Allah?

What I mean is that if taweez is seen as shirk, then isn't a fearful attitude of "us ne jadu kar dia mujh pe, us ne meri zindagi tabaah kar di, us ki wajha se meri nauqri gayi, " isn't that like shirk too if we're fearing the powerless person more so than believing in Allah's power?

When Hazrat Musa (AS) led the Israelites out from Pharaoh's tyrany, they were depressed because they had witnessed Pharaoh's men slaughter their children, specifically boys. Grief like that is hard to get over, but Allah says in the Quran that if they were only grateful for just something, He would increase them or give them more. So the Quran tells us how to deal with trials, as in to find something we're grateful for and not find faults in life all the time. There is good in life even in the midst of nazar, magic, and other trials. It's just that we're weak, we have to keep readjusting our thoughts.

Comment

The Prophet (saw) verified sunnah does not contain any such practice which involved writing and tying of words, verses etc.(a.k.a taaweez or Talismans.). The time when Rasul Allah (saw) came with the final message to the people of Makkah, was a time of great disbelief and superstition. His message broke all idols of the heart as well those made of stone, wood and metal. He taught the belief that Only Allah swt can protect, cure etc. any one. So the believers were asked to turn to Allah (swt) alone. Talismans are from the days of ignorance (jahilliyah).

The Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (saw) provides us the use of "ruqyah" . Ruqyah is to recite verses from the Quran or authenticated supplications of the Prophet (saw) to alleviate / relieve sickness, pain, majic etc.

You can read about it here as well.

Islam Question and Answer - The virtues of ruqyah and du?aa?s to be recited therein

And here

What is Ruqyah and how one should do it? | Sheikh Assim Al-Hakeem

Inshallah may you find what you are in search of through the proper teachings of Quran and Sunnah. (ameen).

Comment

First thing, you're confusing aalim and aamil. Now for your query, yes they can be legitimate way to guard against these things. However, people tend to chalk up their problems to this type of thing (sihr, nazar etc.) too quickly before investigating other possibilities. The other thing is that frauds are much easier to run into. They know people have these superstitions, so they capitalize on it.

Some people take it to a whole other level. One case I've heard of--a guy doesn't put in the time and effort to raise his kids properly, then they end up out of control, getting into all kinds of bad habits. So he goes and recounts his woes to maulana sahab and hopes he can fix everything with a taweez. Not much he can expect now.
          Tell your assassin to aim for her head...because she doesn't have a heart.

Comment

it's simply SHIRK...period!
            Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
            16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

^ how is it shirk if there are no shirkiya kalimaat written on it?

Taweez were originally used for illiterate, very sick people or small kids who could not remember or recite duas or wazaaif that were needed to be recited to save from illness or hardship. Sahaba started writing those duas on a piece of paper and hanging them from necks of little kids and those who were so sick that they could not read the dua on thier own. Later, people started wrapping those papers in cloth to prevent them from falling apart.

"Amr ibn Shu'aib (may Allah be pleased with him) said that 'Rasulu'llah(may Allah bless him and grant him peace) taught my father and grandfather a du'a which we would read before going to sleep, to protect us from fear and anguish.We told our elder children to recite this du'a before going to sleep as well.But for those children who were not yet literate, we would write it and then put it around their necks" [Tafsir Ibn Kathir, under Sura al-Mu'minun, verse 97)
              People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

How about teaching kids the dua? What power do those pieces of paper carry if the wearer is oblivious to the message?

Comment

Originally posted by ButtSb:9702568
                  How about teaching kids the dua? What power do those pieces of paper carry if the wearer is oblivious to the message?
                  power of the message is not dependent on the knowledge of the wearer. There is a hadees which is either in Bukhari or Muslim, and it talks about a sahabi curing a tribal chief from a poisonous snake bite by doing a dumm of sura e fateha. After he reached back Madina, he mentioned that to prophet Muhammad. Prophet was very happy and asked him that how did he know that this sura is sura e shifa?

Point is, the one on which the sura is used, does not need to understand the message to experience its power.
                  People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

whatever dude...... all i see happening is......people not focusing or even trying to focus on the content....... all they know that its a 'jadooo ka black packet' and this packet solves things......... nobody even knows whats in the black packet........

Comment

Originally posted by TLK View Post

Taweez were originally used for illiterate, very sick people or small kids who could not remember or recite duas or wazaaif that were needed to be recited to save from illness or hardship. Sahaba started writing those duas on a piece of paper and hanging them from necks of little kids and those who were so sick that they could not read the dua on thier own. Later, people started wrapping those papers in cloth to prevent them from falling apart.

"Amr ibn Shu'aib (may Allah be pleased with him) said that 'Rasulu'llah(may Allah bless him and grant him peace) taught my father and grandfather a du'a which we would read before going to sleep, to protect us from fear and anguish.We told our elder children to recite this du'a before going to sleep as well.But for those children who were not yet literate, we would write it and then put it around their necks" [Tafsir Ibn Kathir, under Sura al-Mu'minun, verse 97)
                      Peace TLK Bhai,

Pardon me but I won't agree what you quoted above from the Tafsir Ibn Kathir, under Surah Al-Mu'minun, verse 97. I have complete set of Tafsir of Ibn Kathir and there is nothing mentioned what u quoted above under verse 97. Furthermore, there is no mention of Amr ib Shu'aib in whole Tafsir of this Sura.
                      Never explain urself to any1 The person who likes u doesn't need it &The person who dislike u won't believe it

Comment

reading and doing dam on yourself or near N dear ones is OK but wearing it is NOT.

here are a few short videos...there is a detailed answer in another video which is quite lengthy but i can provide you the link if you desire.

Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
                        16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

Oh that's interesting, didn't know that. So it just evolved from there. Do other muslim cultures practice this taweez stuff too?
                          I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Wearing Verses from the Quran around your arm or neck all day while you are doing your daily "business" such as using the bathroom etc. Sure seems to be something that the Prophet (PBUH) would have approved of...
                            You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or who says it. ~ Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia View Post
                              Oh that's interesting, didn't know that. So it just evolved from there. Do other muslim cultures practice this taweez stuff too?
                              I think it's also practiced in Morocco.

Comment

Working...
                              X