Is Sea bass halal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Sea bass halal?

Quick question guys. I follow the Hanafi School. so....

Is Sea Bass Halal.. or more specifically Anglesey Sea bass?
    Its bigger on the inside!!

Re: Is Sea bass halal?

Originally posted by STONECOLD View Post

Im no scholar, but from what I have read, there is nothing in seafood that is haram. There are some seafood items that are termed as makrooh, but nothing is termed haram. Says so in the Holy Quran very clearly, but I dont remember the ayah or soorah.
    The Thread Killer!

Comment

Originally posted by STONECOLD View Post

It's a scaled fish with fins, so yes.
      Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
      Al-Ghazali

Comment

Peace,

Allah SWT said in Chapter 5 verse 96: "Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water game and its use for food".

Said bin Al-Musayyib, Said bin Jubayr and others commented on Allah's statement (Lawful to you is the pursuit of water game...), that it means, what one eats fresh from it, while (and its use for food) what is eaten dry and salted.

Ibn Abbas said that: "water game" refers to what is taken from whater while still alive, while (and its use for food) refers to what the water throws ashore dead.

Similar statements were reported from Abu Bakr As Siddiq, Zayd bin Thabit, Abdullah bin Amr, Abu Ayub Al-Ansari, Ikrimah, Abu Salamah bin Abdur-Rahman, Ibrahim An-Nakhai and Al-Hasan Al-Basri.

Allah's statement: "for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel, as food and provision for you." According to Ikrimah: "those who are in the sea and traveling along the sea. Other scholars said that; water game is allowed for those who fish it from the sea, as well as, when it is salted and used as food for travelers inland. A smilar statement was reported from Ibn Abbas Mujahid and As-Suddi and others.

Imam Malik bin Anas recorded that Jabir bin Abdullah said; When we reached the seashore, we saw a huge fish which was like a small mountain. The army ate from it for eighteen days. Then Abu Ubaydah ordered that wo of its ribs be affixed in the ground. Then he ordered that a she-camel be ridden, and it passed under the two ribs (forming an arch) without touching them. This hadith was also collected in the two sahihain.

Malik recorded that Abu Hurayrah said; A man asked Prophet Muhammad O Allah's Messenger ! we go to sea and carry little water with us. If we use if tor wudu we get thristy, so should we use seawater for wudu? The Messenger of Allah said: "Its water is pure and its dead are lawful".

According to the differnent schools of thoughts:

Hanbaliy and Shafi'ee scholars: All living creatures that live in the sea are halal, whether they are in the form of a fish or not. (Fiqh alal Madhaahib al-Arbaa). Oyster, oyster extract, shrimp, lobster and shark are all halal and permissible.

Maliki scholars:
        Every living creature of the sea is halal except eel. Hence, oyster, oyster extract, shrimp, lobster and shark are halal and permissible.

Hanafi scholars: The only living creatures of the sea that are permissible are those that are in the form of a fish with an exception of the hagfish and eel (these 2 even though they are not in the form of a fish they will be permissible to consume). Hence, according to the Hanafi scholars, it will not be permissible to eat oyster, oyster extract, shrimp and lobsters. It will be permissible to consume shark as it is in the form of a fish.

Better to ask a scholars who know what they are talking about and how the rulings are derived from Qur'an and sunnah and when the vast majority os scholars agree on something, it's much safer to follow them.

To read full hadith see post #8 HERE
        Never explain urself to any1 The person who likes u doesn't need it &The person who dislike u won't believe it

Comment

yeah, ALL: seafood is Halaal...it all depends on you what you like to eat and what not to...some, in other words, are taba'ii meaning it's up to your preference.
          Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
          16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

Peace,

Simple is that if we are doubtful about any food than better not to eat. There is no harm or we are not in such of need that we can't survive without it. Still we can enjoy other foods too with are not haram.
            Never explain urself to any1 The person who likes u doesn't need it &The person who dislike u won't believe it

Comment

Can I ask a related question..??
              Is Swai fish halal??..I was not able to find enough info.It is a form of catfish.I have had it twice before I knew what it actually is,it tastes great though..

It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

Peace chips6,

Plz refer to post #4.

Comment

Some of my good friends might not agree with me, but I am of the opinion that all seafood is not safe to consume.

There are many poisonous and toxic living beings found in the ocean.

Sea mammals such as whale and dolphins are not to be eaten in my very humble opinion.

Sea reptiles such as turtles, saltwater crocodiles, and sea snakes are not to be eaten

Poisionous animals such as jelly fish, puffer fish, portugese man of war are not to be eaten

Bottom feeders that eat all kind of micro-oganisms and absorb the pollutants and toxins (i.e. mercury etc) of the sea are not to be eaten, such as catfish

Predatory fish such as shark, sea lions and swordfish that eat all kinds of small fish are not to be eaten.

The best fish to eat, in my humble opinion, is the fish that contains fins and visible scales, they are mostly in the middle of the food chain. They mostly feed on mineral rich sea vegetables, some are carnivores but they dont eat poisonous fish or toxic waste of the ocean. .

Following is the list of Fish that fits the criteria. They are some of it, but not all of it.

Salmon
                  Trout
                  Perch
                  Tuna
                  Sea bass
                  Cod
                  Herring
                  Sardine
                  Flounder
                  Tilapia
                  Black bass
                  Mackerel
                  Snapper

Also avoid the farm raised fish, they are fed all kinds of things that one doesnt want in his/her body, only eat the wild caught fish.
                  How much wood would a wood chuck chuck .. if a wood chuck would chuck wood
                  Your Tears will dry, your Season will come

Comment

llAccording to hanafi school, any sea animal that resembles fish is hala, rest (shell fish, etc) is makrooh-e-tehreemi.
                    People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

Sea bass is halaal as long as cooked with enough garlick.

Comment

Working...
                      X