Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian woman dies on husband's pyre

Indian woman dies on husband's pyre

Police in India's central Madhya Pradesh state say a woman has burned to death committing the outlawed practice of Sati.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/1/hi/w...ia/2176885.stm
    Unity, Faith & Discipline....
    --Jinnah

One thing that surprises me, does a women commit satti on her own will, or is she forced to do it by family members, or the society itself? Is it really mandatory in Hinduism?

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
      One thing that surprises me, does a women commit satti on her own will, or is she forced to do it by family members, or the society itself? Is it really mandatory in Hinduism?
      Sati started out only among the Rajputs and it was voluntary, and even then only reserved for a certain class. But then there are always "Chaudris" who cannot let other people alone and hence it quickly degenerated into where women were being forcibly shoved into the fire (or atleast that is what I have read in different history books). As far as I know it is not something common amongst the hindus in general. It is a Rajput custom.
      However, there was a BBC show on the lot of the widows in India and how they are exploited in the hindu holy city of Benaras. It was horrific. These poor women from villages end up in these 'half-way' houses because they are widows, and no one to take take care of them and they are supposed to be in care of these 'saintly' people who run these houses. Guess what, these guys take advantage of these women the whole gamut of crimes come into play ... from forced prostitution to slave labor!! It truly was awful to watch what a human can do to another and cover it all up in the name of piety!

[This message has been edited by OldLahori (edited August 06, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
        For this particular case it was her Son who forces her mother to do Sati. Usually it is the society.

Comment

Working...
        X