Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding The Quran Over The Brides Head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding The Quran Over The Brides Head...

...few days ago I was watching my cousins wedding video... 'n' they held a Quran over her head at the rukhsati...

Why do south asian muslims do that? does it have any basis in Quran or Sunnah?

Originally posted by Paki Prince:
    ...few days ago I was watching my cousins wedding video... 'n' they held a Quran over her head at the rukhsati...

Why do south asian muslims do that? does it have any basis in Quran or Sunnah?
    I wanna know too.May be we south Asian Muslims are very creative and always add couple of things here and there and then start following those.
    Lets see what answer we get.

------------------
    Show Forgiveness, speak for Justice and avoid the Ignorant.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`° ¤ø,¸°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºÂ°`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º° ºÂ¤Ã¸

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

This is an interesting question. In fact it has been done at all my sisters' wedding. And recently, even my own. And it's always the dulhan's mamu's that do this.

I am Punjabi from Pakistan/Attock/Hazro/Mardan area (living in Amreeka) and they do this there as well.

I never stopped to ask why. but one can only deduce that the Shadow of Islam follow the bride wherever she may go.

just a hunch.. I'll have to ask my

------------------
      Share your experiences - they cost you nothing but will make us all richer.

Comment

I don't think this anything has to do with Islam. Accoding to me it is just one of many traditions we ppl have developed and like to follow.

Comment

Yes I have always wondered about that; It's something that I like very much but I wonder where it started.

Comment

Assalam u Alaiqum brothers and sisters in Islam...

This is an interesting question, because many perform it without knowing the cause, the root, and the significance of it... This, is a form of Bid'aa... (tradition, innovation made by later generations) The reason people do so is, because they believe that the shade of Al-Qur'aan over the bride's head will bring the couple good-luck, however by depending on the Qur'aan for good-fortune rather than Allah (swt), they are commiting the worst sin kwon as Shirk in the section of Tahweed Ar-Roobubeeyah (Unity Of Lordhip). And those who do not agree with me, tell me, why don't Qaris, Maulanas, Alims, Imams, Bukharis, and other religious scholars have that done to their bride, since they are more likely to abide by the Sunnah? These are borrowed traditions from across the border (India) and across the World (America wageyra), and have no significance among Mumi'neen (believers) or whatsoever...

While we are actually talking about Muslim Marriages, other form of traditions (not acts of Sunnah nor Islamic rites...) are the wearing of sehra (a weird hat with sometimes feathers sticking out of it, etc), the stage of having the bride sit in a dolhi and drag her around on men's shoulders, having the bride sit with the groom in front of the public and staring at them like grocery items, free-mixing of males and females at walimah functions and other type of gatherings, letting the bride miss her prayer so "that-the-makeup-dosn't-get-messed-up", having the sister(s)-in-law of the bride steal the grooms smelly shoes and huddle up to them until the groom gives them some "rishwaat" to get his "kuss" back in time for the "ruksati", having the sister(s)-in-law give milk to the groom with their own hands (Now.. have a look at this! The girl isn't wearing hijaab she is "dressed-to-kill", she is wearing more makeup than her sister (the bride), and she is looking as tough she is a Miss Universe contestant, when she and the dulha get close [to go through the dood pin wali-session] the dulha falls for her "adhaen" despite his great attempts to resist her beauty, and there are some remorseful feelings inside the "dulha's dil" to have had married his sis-in-law rather than his "hon-wali biwi")<<-- This of course was just a short analyse of what it could be like (from my point of view). Anyways there are to many borrowed traditions in the Marriage-Section of Muslims nowadays, so I'll give you a break...

Wahsalam

Comment

Aslamu'alakium respected brothers and sisters,

I think Paxtani made some good points

It is very true that on one of the important days of our lifes we feel it's 'OK' to do things that are against Islam and on top of that hope for Allah's blessings
              May Allah ta'ala keep us away from these sorts of actions and guide us to the righteous path, Ameen.

Comment

I have my own questions regarding the pakistani wedding... much of it being Hindu, and sooo falsly disguised as being pakistani/islamic.
                The least I know, is that all that is needed is the nikaah.. and finito, the marriage has been accomplished.
                What say ye?

------------------
                Mu Hu Hahahahahaha!
                "Quote the Mu,"NeverMu!"
                Yeh Duniya Doh Rangi Ajab Iski Baatein
                Agar Pyar Maango toh Hasrat Millegi
                Chaman Zindagi ke Hazaaron Killeinge
                Magar Eik Dil ki Kali Nah Kiley Gi

Comment

I don't think holdig the Qur'an over the bride's head is a Hindu custom!

I think we need to understand that a LOT of what we do is a question of culture. Some things we thaink are Islamic are simply Arabian customs and not necessarily Islamic. Some things are not really important or significant but others are.

What about the practice of seating the bride in a separate room during the nikah? I don't think this is either Islamic or Arabian, just Indo-Pak.

Comment

a pertinent question ( as an outsider ) one may ask is...does islam forbid customs?
                    let us consider a tribe which chooses to adopt Islam ..does Islam expect them to do away with their customs?

Comment

QURAN IS FROM ALLAH. TOUCHING QURAN IS
                      BLESSING, READING QURAN IS BLESSING SO CROSSING UNDERNEATH IS ALSO BLESSING. I HAVE SEEN IN MARRIAGES BRIDE AND GROOM BOTH READ QURAN TOO. IT IS NOT BIDAT OR ANTHING TO DO IT. IT IS ALL PART OF BLESSING OF ALLAH YOU GIVING TO YOUR DAUGHTER.
                      WHY DO EVERY MUSLIM GO TO HAJJ AND KISS OR TOUCH HIJRAY-E-ASWAT ? WOULD NOT BE BIDAT TOO. SO PLEASE THINK LOUD..

Comment

Originally posted by Farhina:
                        BLESSING, READING QURAN IS BLESSING SO CROSSING UNDERNEATH IS ALSO BLESSING. I HAVE SEEN IN MARRIAGES BRIDE AND GROOM BOTH READ QURAN TOO. IT IS NOT BIDAT OR ANTHING TO DO IT. IT IS ALL PART OF BLESSING OF ALLAH YOU GIVING TO YOUR DAUGHTER.
                        WHY DO EVERY MUSLIM GO TO HAJJ AND KISS OR TOUCH HIJRAY-E-ASWAT ? WOULD NOT BE BIDAT TOO. SO PLEASE THINK LOUD..

I wonder why Prophet Mohammed pbuh didnt give this blessing to his daughter. His companions also forgot to do this. Seems they didnt love their daughters.

[This message has been edited by sadeyes_neverlie (edited August 06, 2002).]

Comment

Farhina, the Quran is a book, it is meant for reading, it is God's word. It is utterly RIDICULOUS to say that passing under it, or touching it will bless you. That's like saying that if I kiss or touch or pass under the North Carolina Revised Statute, then I will be specially protected by the cops. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? It is.

Comment

Originally posted by Farhina:
                            Farhina --> you seem to have difficulties understanding the difference between a Holy Book meant to be read and acted upon, and Hijray-e-Aswat to be kissed (not worshipped) or atleast being waved (by salam)from far away, if touching it isn't possible...

I personally do no know where these beliefs [the ones I mentioned] specifically originated from but all I can say that they are wrong.

Y2Mu, what you said is, indeed true... People "disguise" traditions as acts of Sunnah or have the audacity to call it acceptable in Islam...

Shirin, when I said that some of the traditions did come from across the border (India), I did not mean that it came from the hindus since they don't believe in Qur'aan, so why would they hold it (except to burn it like they do nowadays...)! What I clearly meant was that some Indian Muslims tend to blend other cultural traditions with those of Islam, or like fay123 mentioned: they apply a method used totally by another religion to gain the blessings of Allah (swt)...

oursoulsatpeace you said: "a pertinent question ( as an outsider ) one may ask is...does islam forbid customs?
                            let us consider a tribe which chooses to adopt Islam ..does Islam expect them to do away with their customs?
                            "

My personal response to this question would be that if the customs are un-Islamic, then they (all the tribe members) should and must definately leave them since it may become a thorn into the Path of Islam for them. We as Muslims shuold avoid any doubtful custom/tradition that we aren't fully sure of... And then again, what is meant by "culture" and "tradition"? Shouldn't we strictly enjoin good and forbid evil, and go according to the Sunnah since that is the way our lifestyle should be?

Wah Salam!

Comment

Originally posted by sadeyes_neverlie:

I wonder why Prophet Mohammed pbuh didnt give this blessing to his daughter. His companions also forgot to do this. Seems they didnt love their daughters.
                              Their Al-Quran was in their head my good man.

------------------
                              If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Comment

Working...
                              X