• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prophetic Guidance

Source: YMFN

:!: The Small Deeds :!:
    Comprehensive Nature of Salah and Sadaqah

Charitable deeds done for the welfare of the community are the best forms of 'Ibadah (worship) and are considered branches of Iman (faith), as long as those who do them do not seek praise and cheap popularity but only the pleasure of God.

The Prophet Muhammad (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said:

"Sadaqah (charity) is due on each joint of a person, every day the sun rises. The administration of justice between two people is a sadaqah; assisting a man to mount his ride, or helping his luggage onto it is a sadaqah; and a good word is a sadaqah; and every step towards Salah (prayer) is sadaqah; and even removing a harmful thing from a path is a sadaqah."
    [Agreed Upon]

On another occasion, he added: "Salah (prayer) is due on each joint of a person every day." A person in the audience said: "That is the most difficult thing you have required us." The Prophet then said:

"Your commanding the common good and forbidding the evil and undesirable is a salah; your help for the weak is a salah; your removing of dirt from a pathway is a salah; and every step you take towards the Salah is a salah!"
    [Ibn Khuzaymah]

There are many sayings of the Messenger that rank cheerfulness towards other Muslims, helping the blind, the deaf and the weak, advising those who are lost and confused, relieving the distress of the needy, etc as forms of 'Ibadah and Sadaqah. In this way, a Muslim lives his or her life as a vital source of virtuous deeds.

The Prophet said: "Blessed is he whom Allah has made a key for righteousness and a lock against evil!" [Ibn Majah]

[compiled from "Islamic Awakening: Between Rejection and Extremism"
    by Shaykh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, (Zain International, London, 1991), pp 161-2]

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Source:YMFN

:!: Supplication of the Oppressed :!:

"Beware of the supplication of the oppressed, even if he or she is a kafir (non-Muslim), for there is no barrier between preventing it (from reaching Allah)."
    [reported Ahmad]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) once heard the story of a weak woman who had been wronged by a cruel man of power in the land of Abyssinia, and the Prophet commented: "How does Allah hold as sacred a nation where the right of the weak is not taken from the strong!" [Ibn Majah] Abyssinia was a Christian state at that time.

But how many so-called Muslim states we have today that claim God's protection and sanctity for themselves yet the poverty of the people, the preferred treatment of the rich, the oppression of women, or the racism and discrimination against foreigners and minorities, Muslim or non-Muslim, are of no concern to their rulers. How do they consider themselves "sacred" when Allah does not?

Notice also the Messenger of God's breadth of knowledge and concern for a stranger non-Muslim woman in a non-Muslim land! Some Muslims today would be hard-pressed to know the state of their Muslim neighbour next-door, much less those in India, Chechnya, Palestine, China, Africa, Afghanistan.

Our Prophet reminds: "If people see a wrongdoer and do not prevent him, they come close to a punishment from Allah, coming down on all of them." And warns: "When you see my Ummah fall victim to fear and not say to a wrongdoer: 'You are wrong!' then you may lose hope in them."

[parts excerpted from "Priorities of the Islamic Movement in the Coming Phase"
    by Shaykh Yusuf al-Qaradawi (Awakening Publications, Swansea, UK, 2000)]

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Comment

:!: And Those Who Opposed Him :!:

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) travelled to Taif hoping that perhaps the people of this town would be receptive to his message, which had been rejected by most of the Makkans for over a decade.

But the people of Taif proved just as cruel and intolerant. Not only did they scorn his message of God's Oneness, they turned their youth against the Prophet. In the face of this misery, the Angel Gabriel was sent and presented him with an option: have the whole town be destroyed, by Allah's will, for such arrogance and hatefulness.

He could have done it. He could have asked that those children who pelted him with stones be finished off along with their intolerant parents. But he didn't.

No, the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) told the Angel. Don't destroy the people of Taif. Instead of cursing the children of this town, he prayed for its future generations to accept Islam.

But the people of Taif were not the only ones who tasted of this mercy. He would pray for his enemies all the time. Two of his bitterest enemies, Abu Jahl and Omar were also the objects of his prayers.

On another occasion, some Companions came to the Prophet and said: "O Messenger of Allah! The tribe of Daws have committed disbelief and disobeyed (your commands). Supplicate Allah against them!" Contrary to the people's expectations, the Prophet said: "O Allah! Guide Daws and let them come to us." [Bukhari]

These are just a few glimpses of how the Prophet dealt with those who opposed him. These were people who didn't just fight his message on an intellectual level. These were individuals bent on destroying him, his family, his followers and Islam itself.

Contrast this today to some of the ignorant believers among us who are found cursing others to Hell and destruction in this world. We don't know which individual is going where. We don't even know about ourselves. So let's keep making Dua that we stay on the right path and God guides others to it as well. We must not play God by assuming we know where others will end up.

When God tells us in the Quran about the behavior which leads to good reward and the character which takes people to the Hellfire, He is saying this so that people adopt the right behavior and avoid Hellfire by abandoning what He forbade for our own good. However, those verses are not meant to be a litmus test for us to determine where others will end up. That knowledge is only with Allah, the Lord of the universe.

We must also remember that most Muslims, especially those living in North America, do not face the kind of opposition to Islam that the Prophet and his Companions faced in their day. Then shouldn't it be easier for us to deal in the Prophetic manner with those who oppose us, usually out of ignorance?

[compiled from "The Prophet and the People who Opposed Him" by SoundVision.com]

------------------

Comment

*Fine Sensitivity*

After the conquest of Makkah, Umm Hakim bint al-Harith, wife of Ikremah ibn Abu Jahal, accepted Islam. Ikremah was the son of Abu Jahal, who was one of the first and worst persecutors of Muslims in Makkah.

Umm Hakim told the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) that her husband fled to Yemen in fear of his life, and she begged the Prophet (peace be upon him) to grant him refuge and immunity in Makkah. The Prophet (peace be upon him), being a forgiving and merciful leader he was, agreed to do so, even though Ikremah was still waging against him and Muslims.

Umm Hakim set off in search for her husband in Yemen. Fortunately, Ikremah had just reached the shores of Tahamah and was about to cross the Red Sea when she caught up with him. She told him that she had just come across the greatest of all men, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

It was not easy to persuade him to return with her, instead of risking his life at sea, but when he heard that the Prophet (peace be upon him) had guaranteed his safety in Makkah, he fell in with her wishes. When the two were approaching Makkah, the Prophet (peace be upon him) informed his Companions that Ikremah was coming to them as an emigrant and a believer. He then advised them in the following words: "Do not speak ill of his (deceased) father, for, although speaking ill of the dead cannot hurt the dead, it hurts (the feelings) of those who are alive."

Note: What a profound and fine sensitivity our Prophet (pbuh) possessed, even towards his enemies or those who had hurt him in the past! What about many of us today, who don't even spare taunting and hurting the feelings of those who are close to them, let alone those who do not share our faith.

[Narrated in Ibn Hisham's "Sirah" of the Prophet (pbuh). Taken from "An Islamic Treasury of Virtues" by Maulana Wahiduddin Khan]

------------------

Comment

Treating Women with Kindness

Many of us have heard stories of men treating their wives badly as if they were slaves of an oppressive master. Islam has forbidden such conduct, and the last command of the Prophet was, " ... Act kindly towards women." [Bukhari and Muslim]

We should be gentle to our wives, treat them nicely and respect them, particularly in front of the children. The Prophet said, "The most perfect of the believers in faith is he who is the most excellent of them in morals and the best of you are they who are best for their wives." [Tirmidhi]

We should not look for perfection in this universe; but accept what is best! There is no need to demand perfection from our wives while we are drowned in our own flaws. The Prophet said, "A believer must not hate a believing woman. If he dislikes any of her characteristics, he will be pleased with another one." [Reported by Muslim]

[Compiled from "Winning the Heart of Your Wife" by Ibraahim Ibn Saaleh al-Mahmud. pp. 10,11]

------------------

Comment

Allah apko jaza dey

Thanx for sharing Sadia

[This message has been edited by Question (edited July 26, 2002).]

Comment

Lose no time to do good deeds

The Prophet (peace be upon him), used to call on Muslims to take the initiative to do good deeds before any obstacles arise. For instance, he said, "Lose no time to do good deeds before you are caught up by one of seven calamities awaiting you:

1. a starvation which may impair your wisdom;
              2. a prosperity which may mislead you;
              3. an ailment which may damage your health;
              4. an old age which may harm your senses;
              5. a sudden death;
              6. the Dajjal (Antichrist);
              7. or Doomsday, which is indeed the hardest and most bitter."
              [at-Tirmidhi, al-Baihaqi]

The above Hadith urges Muslims to take the initiative, and not to delay good deeds; our lives are not free from impediments, such as those calamities, which can prevent us from accomplishing what could have been done earlier. Wise are those who grab available opportunities before being handicapped by obstacles.

[taken from http://www.islaam.com/Article.asp?id=599]

------------------

Comment

Worry for the Hereafter

In one Hadith, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "If one becomes worried, he hurries up, and if he hurries up, he sooner reaches his destination." [at-Tirmidhi, al-Hakim]

Explaining this Hadith, Attayyibi says: "The Prophet gave this as an example to illustrate man's journey to a safe haven in the afterlife. Satan, supported by man's evil desires and wishful thinking, obstructs his way. If he is fully aware and has kept purity of intention regarding his deeds, he is safe from Satan's conniving." The example can be true in the case of the person who has set himself targets, and is worried lest he should be encountered by obstacles before reaching them. He, therefore, makes a greater effort in order to reach his targets.

[taken from http://www.islaam.com/Article.asp?id=599]

------------------

Comment

The Evil Of Craving For Wealth And Status

The Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Two ravenous wolves remaining amongst sheep whose owner has lost them will not be more harmful than a Muslim`s seeking after wealth and status is to his Deen. [at-Tabaranee]

The first type of craving for wealth is that a person has extreme love for wealth and also relentlessly exerts efforts to attain it - via means which are lawful - being excessive in that, striving hard and making painstaking efforts and toiling in order to attain it.

It has been reported that this hadeeth was in response to the appearance of some elements of this, as at-Tabaranee reports from Asim ibn Adiyy, may Allah be pleased with him, who said, "I bought a hundred shares from the shares of Khaybar and the news reached the Prophet," and so the Prophet uttered the above words.

There is nothing more to chasing after wealth than the wastage of a person's noble life for that which has no value. Instead he could have earned a high rank (in Paradise) and everlasting bliss, but he lost this due to his craving after provision - which had already been assured to him and allotted to him, and it was not possible for anything to come to him except what was decreed for him - then on top of this he does not benefit from that, but rather abandons it and leaves it for someone else.

[By Imam Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali, taken from http://www.islaam.com/Article.asp?id=602]

Comment

Relying and Depending on Allah

Relying and Depending on Allah

"If you relied on Allah with a true reliance, He would provide for you the same as He provides birds: they set off in the early morning with empty stomachs and return back at the end of the day with full stomachs."
                    [At-Tirmidhi, Ahmad]

Sh. Fadl Ilaahi said: "The one who relies upon Allah with a true reliance is provided for as birds are provided for, and how would it be otherwise, when he has relied upon the Ever-Living who does not die, and whoever relies on Him, He will suffice him." [Mafaatih ar-Rizq, 36]

[Taken from http://www.islaam.com/Article.asp?id=432]

Comment

Working...
                    X