AILING QUR'AN SCHOLAR T.B. IRVING: AN UNKNOWN CANADIAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AILING QUR'AN SCHOLAR T.B. IRVING: AN UNKNOWN CANADIAN

I haven't been able to get a link or confirm the veracity of this story. If it is accurate please pass it on..

AILING QUR'AN SCHOLAR T.B. IRVING: AN UNKNOWN CANADIAN?
    [By Abdul Malik Mujahid -- Dawn]
    ================================================== ====================

Where is T.B. Irving? Have you wondered what happened to this renowned scholar?
    Canadian-born Dr. Irving was once a fixture at Muslim
    conventions. The author and professor who accepted Islam more than 50 years ago
    and produced the first American English translation of the Qur'an is,
    Alhamdulillah, still alive, although in very frail health.

Dr. Irving is suffering from advanced Alzheimer's disease and is living under
    constant nursing care in Mississippi. But no Muslim newspaper has published
    anything recently about his condition or even mentioned whether he is alive or
    not. We need to remember our elder scholars. We need to be there for them with
    our concern, our Dua, and
    our good wishes, especially at the time when they prepare to leave this life.

The current state of Dr. Irving reminds me of the late Yusuf Ali, another
    Muslim whose translation of the Qur'an into English is world renowned. Like Dr.
    Irving, Yusuf Ali did not lack money to support
    himself. But when he passed away on a cold London night about 50 years ago, he
    was sick and alone. The Muslim community only came to know
    about his death later.

It was "stubborness" that eventually led the Canadian Qur'an translator and
    writer Thomas Ballantyne (T.B.) Irving to Islam.

"I remember especially a missionary returned from India stating how the
    'Mohometans' (Muslims) were so obdurate in adhering to their religion; that was
    my first encounter with Islam, and it roused an
    unconscious admiration in me for their steadfastness to their faith and a
    desire to know more about these 'wicked' people," he recounted
    in the book "Islam: Our Choice," a collection of interviews with Muslims who
    have converted to the faith. T.B. Irving later became one of these "obdurate"
    people, choosing the name Al Hajj Ta'lim Ali Abu Nasr.

Born in 1914 in the village of Preston, Ontario [amalgamated into the City of
    Cambridge in 1973] this professor, writer, translator and activist is best
    known for his translation of the Qur'an entitled, "The Qur'an: First American
    Version" (1985). His work is an attempt to provide an English version that is
    more accessible to an audience not used to the old style of English common in
    most translations. Dr. Irving was particularly concerned about making the
    Qur'an accessible to Muslim youth throughout North America.

"A new generation of English-speaking Muslims has grown up in North America
    which must use our scripture differently than their fathers would have done.
    Their thinking roots have become distinct on a new continent without the
    familiar use of our holy tongue, and a great difference has developed between
    their customs and their ancestral
    faith," he writes in the introduction of his translation.

The cover of the 1993 edition of the Quran translation features a photograph of
    the dome of the Great Umayyad Mosque of Cordoba, Spain.
    This provided a hint at another passion of his: Muslim Spain. Irving was
    considered a leading expert on the Arab-Islamic period in Spanish
    history, especially with his book, "Falcon of Spain," a study of Spain under
    Muslim rule, with a special emphasis on the Umayyad ruler AbdurRahman I, whom
    Irving considered a "great statesman."

Irving's other books include: "Growing Up In Islam," "The Qur'an: Basic
    Teachings," (which he co-authored with Dr. Khurshid Ahmad and
    Muhammad Manazir Ahsan, "Had You Been Born a Muslim," "Religion and Social
    Responsibility," and "Tide of Islam."

His academic and teaching career includes McGill University in Montreal,
    Canada; Princeton University in New Jersey; the University of San Carlos in
    Guatemala; University of Minneapolis; and finally, the University of Tennesse,
    from which he retired as a professor of Spanish and Arabic in 1980.

Following retirement, he served as Dean of the American Islamic College in
    Chicago. It was during his time there (1981-1986) that he published his
    translation of the Qur'an.

His service to Islam as a writer was noticed by the Pakistani government, which
    in 1983 awarded him the Stara-e- Imtiaz for service to Islam in 1983.

Recently Dr. Irving's son, Nicholas, moved from Guatemala to take care of his
    ailing father. While Dr. Irving is not in need of monetary or medical help, he
    could definitely benefit from hearing from you, especially if you have
    benefitted from his work as a writer and scholar.

Although he cannot talk and he can only eat with the help of a feeding machine,
    he is conscious. He still receives mail. In these latter days of his life, he
    is in need of your prayers, your letters, your wishes
    of concern, and your thanks for his service to Islam. When I stood next to his
    bed, I felt each time I said "shahadah," he moved as though trying to respond
    to it.

Dr. Irving today needs your Duas and thanks. You can write to him at the
    following address: Dr. T. B. Irving, 3721 Mercier Drive, Pascagula, MS USA
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Zakk

Thank you for the sad news of Bro.Irvings illness.

While your concern for doing more for such scholars is admirable ,we all die alone just as we are born alone .

I am not sure that they including br.Yusuf Ali & not not to forget Ahmed Deedat ,Moudoodi ,Or any scholars even non muslims Chomsky or Edward Saeed who are very popular & surrounded by there admirers in conventions & seminar are apparently alone & solitare in private life.
    Old age diseases & death are inevitable & no one expects to be exception to it specially a believer for quran & islam reminds all of us repeatedly of the mortal nature of our existence.I am sure in there psyche these scholars must have accepted of transient nature of our existence in this world just as if we are waiting on the station to catch the next train.Its only when we try to catch the moment & try to bottle it for eternity that we feel too remorsefull.

Not that we should not fel sad or unhappy at demise or illnes or degeneration if our body & mind to less glamorous & vital state but for muslims & true bleavers such changes are welcome & preparatory changes to finally having sucessfully performed once duty in this trasient world to live forever hopefully in company of allah in jannah .'Fee Amanullah 'Ina lillahe wa inna alaihe rajioun

------------------
    Wohi Hota Hai Jo Munzoore Khuda Hota Hai ... :nahnah:

Comment

Working...
    X