Religions and Sex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religions and Sex

Why most of the religions are against Sex? Is Sex something inhuman, or is not as per the nature?
    So called moral preaching monks, pls, keep aside!

If religion were against sex there would be no religion. However, morals, principles and modesty are virtues. I suppose Indians have a far different view, having the Kama Sutra as part of the culture. Actually, within a marriage it is probably suitable across a broad range of religions.

Comment

Hindu's also worship he male genitalia...go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by anand:
        Why most of the religions are against Sex? Is Sex something inhuman, or is not as per the nature?
        why would you ask a question and then tell people to 'keep aside'? Do you want answers/explanations which'll abide by your viewpoint? wierd..

Comment

Originally posted by anand:
          Speaking from an Islamic point of view, sex is a source of mutual pleasure for a husband and wife, and a means of propagating the human race. So Islam for one, is not against 'sex'.

Now if you are asking about extra marital, premarital, promiscous , hired sex, etc, then yes, Islam is against that...and for our own good too. Abstinence from such acts not only keeps us away from malicious diseases, it also tells us who the 'real' father of the baby is.
          This is a small explanation, without bringing in the 'morality' factor.

Comment

^JazakAllah Akif, a very nice reply from you!

Comment

Sex as akif pointed out is not only something which is allowed but is something that is encouraged within the confines of a marital relationship.
              Celibacy for example is forbidden as it doesn't allow man to release his sexual urges.
              Sex is something which is natural but it is also something that needs to be regulated. If we acted upon all our instincts we are no different than animals.
              Regulation is for a better society and as it is not regulated currently social problems are in abundance.

Comment

I think that the media often portrays sex as something irreligious - something for satan, and not God. I guess its the Catholic mentality, but in Islam, as Akif has said, sex is promoted, but within the confines of marriage - and that too, for practical reasons.

Definitely, sex is not evil in Islam. I can't speak for other religions.
                I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Better I change my question.

Why religious leaders, preachers are against sex?

Comment

No religious leader i know is against sex between husband and wife. Who are you talking about ?

Comment

All ulemma I've come across say that sex is a blessing from Allah Almighty to be enjoyed by married couples...

Our religion takes the middle path when it comes to sex...

Sex is not evil, Zina is evil.

Comment

Iran has voted down "decency houses", which were to be temporary arrangements for unmarrieds to ... Prostitution is a growing phenomenon. Some in government wished to go a regulated, more healthy route.

Comment

Thats strictly a shiite practice, to have 'instant' and 'disposable' marriages with anyone one feels like. A way to legalize the one night stand.

There's no place for it in islam.

Comment

Salaam

one thing that needs to be agreed upon is that there exist certain attributes with in every human being. These are termed as organic needs (such as the need for food, water, sleeping and excreting) and there exist instincts like the instinct of survival, religious instinct and the sexual instinct.All are attributes that exist with in human beings.

Each way of life will provide a different way of satisfying these needs. As an example Capitalism says that man is free to choose the manner in which the sexual instinct is satisfied.it can be seen that the freeing of this instinct leeds to an animalistic society as this desire is set free rather than being regulated correctly. But Islam agrees with human nature, it does not supress this instinct neither does it set it loose like an animal does.Rather Islam provides detailed rules in which this instinct can be satisfied. The western system has failed to produce a safe society as they adopt a belief which believes in freedom (i.e. doing what ever one feels like).
                            The Islamic system can only provide safety for the society as it raises the level of the people from one of animals to that of intelligent humans

[This message has been edited by Khilafah1422 (edited July 28, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Khilafah1422 (edited July 28, 2002).]

Comment

It must be said that America's freedom pushes that concept right up to and sometimes over the line of criminality. This probably has as much to do with profit motive aligned with the negative side of human nature as anything. The political right seek as much freedom from financial restraints as possible; the political left seek as much freedom from societal ones. This is a generalization, but at the root, it is true. Sometimes these trends meet, as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X