Selling alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling alcohol

Is it okay for a muslim to sell alcohol? (not consume, just sell obviously)

for example if a muslim owned a restraunt would it be okay for alcohol to be sold in the restraunt?

just curious, thanks.

ums yaar, i don't know the religious point of view, i would think it is forbidden.

but to tell you the truth, if i ever find out that a muslim restaurant is selling alcohol mujhe itna ghussa aata he that i never go to that restaurant again and i know other people do that too.

[This message has been edited by Faatma Habeeb (edited July 20, 2002).]

Comment

oh i see Faatma. Thanks for the info

Is it islamically allowed though? i'm guessing it's not but i'd like to be sure anyway.

Comment

Its forbidden.

Comment

<edited>

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited July 23, 2002).]

Comment

Whats forbidden is forbidden...

Comment

If its usage is forbidden, dealing with it in anyway is forbidden as well.

Comment

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al‑Ansaab (stone altars for offering sacrifices to idols, the jinn, etc), and Al‑Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.

Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As‑Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?

And obey Allaah and the Messenger (Muhammad), and beware (of even coming near to drinking or gambling or Al‑Ansaab, or Al‑Azlaam) and fear Allaah. Then if you turn away, you should know that it is Our Messenger’s duty to convey (the Message) in the clearest way”

[al-Maa'idah 5:90-92]

-------------------------------

The following is from a hadith, if you follow hadith:

The Prophet(SAW) said:...

"...When Allaah forbids a thing He also forbids its price.” (Narrated by Ahmad and Abu Dawood, 3026; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 5107)

Hope this helps.

------------------
                Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another

This is not my Paradise

[This message has been edited by Munni (edited July 20, 2002).]
                "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac:
                  Its forbidden.
                  since you wont find specific words "drugs"
                  makit somewhat legal istatead of alcohol.

drugs are worse than alcohol and banned
                  universally.

too literal interpreation is the problem.

Comment

Thanks Munni, yes it helps.

Thanks everyone else.

Comment

In UK sadly very big number of Pakistani and Indian Muslims are in alcohol business. My own relatives are in this business. Few years back I had an excellent opportunity to buy and off-licence shop and there was good potential of earning.
                      I was in doubt, on one side it was religious order while on the other hand it was plenty of money.

I even went to court to get the licence to sell alcohol...but then fear of Allah surrounded me....and despite of criticism from my family, I refused to buy that shop
                      Everybody called me crazy.....but I was satisfied although I didn't have any good job at that time.....

But Allah blessed me soon....within just two years I found a job which one could just dream for....
                      Now I am on a very high profile job, plenty of money, and certainly way way better off compared to alcohol selling relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Romance:
                        In UK sadly very big number of Pakistani and Indian Muslims are in alcohol business. My own relatives are in this business. Few years back I had an excellent opportunity to buy and off-licence shop and there was good potential of earning.
                        I was in doubt, on one side it was religious order while on the other hand it was plenty of money.

I even went to court to get the licence to sell alcohol...but then fear of Allah surrounded me....and despite of criticism from my family, I refused to buy that shop
                        Everybody called me crazy.....but I was satisfied although I didn't have any good job at that time.....

But Allah blessed me soon....within just two years I found a job which one could just dream for....
                        Now I am on a very high profile job, plenty of money, and certainly way way better off compared to alcohol selling relatives.
                        mashallah bhai, i was very happy to read that and i am sure whichever Muslim will read this will be very proud of you

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                          since you wont find specific words "drugs"
                          makit somewhat legal istatead of alcohol.

drugs are worse than alcohol and banned
                          universally.

too literal interpreation is the problem.
                          I wish you could read. It says "intoxicants", in parenthesis is meaning/understanding of the translator. So drugs would fall under the category of "intoxicants", don't they?

------------------
                          May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

there are drugs that don't intoxicate, like penicillin, and other substances that you probably consume every day, like caffeine, that do. You should learn how to read youself before you respond condescendingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu:
                              there are drugs that don't intoxicate, like penicillin, and other substances that you probably consume every day, like caffeine, that do. You should learn how to read youself before you respond condescendingly.
                              i wish you could use sense . by drugs, we meant the 'drugs' that are intoxicants. get it? if you don't get it than read rvikz's post as many number of times as it takes for you to get it.

------------------
                              May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Working...
                              X