Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education

I dont think anyone here will argue with me when I say education should be sought by both men and women and children to the highest level possible, and that there is no pabundi to learning at even an old age.

Also, I dont think anyone will argue with me when I say, historically, muslims have prided themselves on being leaders in science, law, writing/poetry/journalism, mathematics, etc. -- all known to be now "secular subjects" (for some odd reason its not "religious subjects", although its all religious and complimentary to Islam to me).

So WHY are we seeing the muslim world today being discouraging to their girls when it comes to education? Why is the mentality "well, larkion ko parhai ki zaroorat nahi"? Also, even if you look at the men, going to college and grad school etc, isn't looked on as highly encourageable, for some reason.

Even madrassas, like some in Pakistan, only teach the Quran (some dont even bother with translations), and these particular madrassas certainly dont teach "secular subjects".

My question is WHY? And what should Muslims who have access and freedom to attain whatever education they wish for, DO for the muslim world that isn't being given this freedom?

this is one issue that is very dear to my heart, since I really believe that without a firm education, a human cannor fully understand the world and himself/herself.

And why is it deemed by many that only the Quran need to be read in order to satisfy educational requirements for a child?

What is the source for this reversal in importance of education thru time?

[This message has been edited by PyariCgudia (edited July 20, 2002).]
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

I frankly don't know how to explain women and education in the Middle East. As far as Pakistan is concerned, this reversal in trends has nothing to do with Islam or its teachings.

Our attitude towards education or the lack of it has been shaped by our culture. And our culture has been affected by innumerable factors ranging from the influence of Hinduism to the tradition of licking Gora asses and everything in between. In the times of the Muslim rule they patronized all scholars. Then after the Britishers took over, they carried out a deliberate policy of trying to dissuade Muslims from the merits of obtaining an education. To get proof of this all you have to do is pull the memoirs of any British karta dharta. Then after the Muslims of India were suffering both economically and educationally everything went downhill from there on.

But I think now attitudes are changing in Pakistan in our generation. People are coming closer to the real Islam and realizing that they don't have to serve Islam by reading the Quran without meaning.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
      So WHY are we seeing the muslim world today being discouraging to their girls when it comes to education? Why is the mentality "well, larkion ko parhai ki zaroorat nahi"?

here where i live, no one discourages girs....
      i dont know about pakistan, havent been there....
      but here, there r more girls in my uni, than boys....

Even madrassas, like some in Pakistan, only teach the Quran (some dont even bother with translations), and these particular madrassas certainly dont teach "secular subjects".

madrassas here dont teach only Quran, they teach other subjects as well, even commputers....
      perhaps u live in a bad place....

My question is WHY? And what should Muslims who have access and freedom to attain whatever education they wish for, DO for the muslim world that isn't being given this freedom?

if muslims cared for other muslims, we wud not be in the position we lie today....

And why is it deemed by many that only the Quran need to be read in order to satisfy educational requirements for a child?

frankly i have never met anyone with that thought....

i think u r generalizing ur experience and extending it to the entire muslims world....
      where there is lack of education, it is same for men and women, otherwise no one stops girls from studying....

even in pakistan, as much as i know of it, none of my cousins (guys) have studied after school, but many girls have completed their bachelors degree....

perhaps if stopped degrading our own selves, other wud also see us as a better society....
      Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

armughal, i'm talking about this problem, highlighting Pakistan as a prime example.

I have no idea where you live, but if such is not the case with you or your jaanewale, then that is great news

I have visited Karachi, and there certainly are a lot of openminded folks in the city, and in my family, but there are also a lot of narrowminded folks as well. And everyone knows the education standards are deplorable in Pakistan.

My writing was more eloquent than my cousin's - I'm comparing my 8th grade writing with my cousin's college level writing.

These things just upset me - it would be great if more pple could respond to this post.

At any rate, education standards are much more important Islamically than a couple telling each other "I love you jaanoo" out of wedlock! My bias.
        I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
          I dont think anyone here will argue with me when I say education should be sought by both men and women and children to the highest level possible, and that there is no pabundi to learning at even an old age.

I do propose that EVERYONE should get education and contribute to society. But then there are problems. If we look at US or other nations, they don't have problem of resources or management of resources. If we look at Pakistan, we have all sorts of problems, including resources and management thereof.

I should give you one example. I went an engineering college in Pakistan. There were a few girls there. Now after graduation, only 33% of girls are working in job, that too because they couldn't get married. Those who got married are now "housewife".

Is that a "good" thing, especially when we look at number of resources in our society? I bet not. Either they should have worked after marriage, or they should have sought a different career.

I do not wish to say that girls shouldn't get higher education. But I would strongly recommend that if girl wishes to be a housewife, she should focus on subjects close to that "career" and not grab an engineering/medical/management opportunity (in terms of education), which would be a waste of resources of a resource-limited nation like Pakistan.

If one really wishes to contribute to society, then I am all for as high education as possible. But if one wishes to get a degree so that he/she can feel "satisfied", "proud" (which is a usual case in our society), "show off" etc then I would certainly discourage that.... not just for girls, for boys too.

I would still say "larkion ko ziyada nahi parhna chahiye" should be discouraged.

------------------
          May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Working...
          X