Surah Baqarah - verse 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surah Baqarah - verse 4

[Shakir 2:4] And who believe in that which has been revealed to you and that which was revealed before you and they are sure of the hereafter.

The pious are those who believe not only in the truthfulness of the Quran, revealed to the Holy Prophet, but also in the holy books sent down to the prophets of Allah before him. This makes Islam a universal religion for the whole mankind.

HUM YUQINUN

Yaqin is the state of conviction and certainty acquired through an unshakeable evidence or proof. The description of muttaqin begins with iman bil ghayb, a complete submission of mind and heart to the ghaybul mutlaq and ends with yaqin, an unshakeable firm conviction and certainty that the ultimate purpose of life in this world lies in the life after death in the direction unto the absolute.

Here it means total submission.

Mere verbal profession of faith does not bring salvation, as the Jews and the Christians thought, but guidance and its rewards are for him who submits himself entirely to Allah and acts in the way of Allah, in conformity with Allah's will, uncompromisingly, in full awareness of his goal, shedding all strings of attachments and desires. There is no fear for him, nor shall he grieve.

At the time of migrating from Makka to Madina, the Holy Prophet had a companion with him. They took refuge in a cave to avoid the pursuing enemies. The companion was miserable with fear and grief. The Holy Prophet asked him not to fear because Allah was present with them. Also there were companions who deserted the Holy Prophet when the terror and fright of death made them flee from the battle of Uhad.

Belief in the revealed scriptures, as the true word of Allah, is one of the articles of faith (Baqarah: 285).

His reliance upon Allah's ability to protect whom He wills, was unqualified;

and, above all, being from one and the same divine light, they were so closely integrated that one had
    to be in the shoes of another all the time.

While the assassins were lying in wait for the planned strike, they, on several occasions, looked slyly at the bed, and were assured by the blanket of the Holy Prophet that he was sleeping inside it. They did not realise that it was Ali under the blanket, whilst the Holy Prophet opened the door and walked away unnoticed. As planned, the assassins, naked swords in their hands, broke in and removed the blanket from the sleeper's face. They were surprised to find Ali there instead of the Holy Prophet. They viewed his composure and steady expression of resolute courage, and having failed to obtain any information about the whereabouts of the Holy Prophet, disappointed, they stepped out one by one.

The Holy Prophet had asked his companions not to leave their homes on the night of the migration, but he found Abu Bakr following him on his way to Madina. However, he allowed him to accompany him and they took refuge in a cave, because after finding Ali in the bed, the conspirators at once started the quest for the Holy Prophet.

By Allah's will, a spider wove a web across the mouth of the cave, and in front of it a pigeon laid her eggs. Seeing this, the pursuers presumed that no one had entered the cave for a long time and did not search it. Inside the cave, the companion of the Holy Prophet was frightened and had started crying in anguish when he heard the voices of the enemy. The Holy Prophet recited the following verse to console him.

[Shakir 9:40] If you will not aid him, Allah certainly aided him when those who disbelieved expelled him, he being the second of the two, when they were both in the cave, when he said to his companion: Grieve not, surely Allah is with us. So Allah sent down His tranquillity upon him and strengthened him with hosts which you did not see, and made lowest the word of those who disbelieved; and the word of Allah, that is the highest; and Allah is Mighty, Wise.

On the next morning, Ali returned to the depositors all that which they kept with the Holy Prophet in trust and left Makka, with the ladies of the house, to join the Holy Prophet in Madina. It must be noted that even his opponents called the Holy Prophet al-amin, the trustworthy, and kept their valuables in his custody.

And it was Ali, the executor of his will, who discharged all his commitments on his behalf. But the Muslim ummah, after the departure of the Holy Prophet, went along with the frightened companion and forgot him whose unshakeable faith in Allah, love for His messenger, and matchless courage entitled him to obtain mardatillah, the pleasure and discretion of Allah.

[This message has been edited by Gandalf (edited July 22, 2002).]

Ali's (ra) risking his life for the Holy Prophet pleased Allah so much that He revealed this verse in his honour,

[Shakir 2:207] And among men is he who sells himself to seek the pleasure of Allah; and Allah is Affectionate to the servants.

Thalabi, Ghazali, the author of Ahya-ul Ulum, say that this verse was revealed to praise Ali ibna abi Talib, when he slept in the bed of the Holy Prophet, during the night of hijrat.

Immediately after the death of Abu Talib, Abu Sufyan, the chief of the branch of Umayyah, succeeded to the principality of Makka. A zealous votary of the idols, a mortal foe of the line of Hashim, he convened an assembly of the Quraysh and their allies.

All tribal heads held a conference on the instigation of Abu Sufyan and Abu Jahl. It was resolved that one man from every tribe should go to the Holy Prophet's house in the darkness of the night and kill him jointly, in order to divide the guilt, and baffle the vengeance of the Bani Hashim.

In the stupidity of their ignorance, they forgot that Allah is seeing, hearing, and His hand (Ali) was alive, who, from his earliest days, had committed himself to save the Holy Prophet at all costs. In the dark night, the conspirators surrounded the house of the Holy Prophet.

Meanwhile, Allah commanded the Holy Prophet to leave Makka at once and go to Madina. The Holy Prophet intimated Ali of the divine plan and asked him to lie down on his bed, in order to lead the enemies into thinking that it was the Holy Prophet himself who was sleeping, thus giving him enough time to go away from Makka (unnoticed).

Ali asked the Holy Prophet if his lying down in his bed would save the Holy Prophet's life, to which he answered in the affirmative. So Ali lay down on the Holy Prophet's bed, covering himself with his blanket. Ali made a willing choice of certain death, as the blood-thirsty enemies were lurking around the house to kill the Holy Prophet in his bed at any time during the night.

Ali willingly agreed to die because:

(1) in his opinion the life of the Holy Prophet was more valuable than his own;

he was absolutely certain that it was the duty of a true believer to obtain the pleasure of Allah and His messenger, even if one's life has to be bartered;
    he had the peace of mind which gave him courage to sleep, while the naked swords were flashing to
    strike him - a singular example of willing surrender to Allah's will.

[This message has been edited by Gandalf (edited July 22, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf:
      Ali's (ra) risking his life for the Holy Prophet pleased Allah so much that He revealed this verse in his honour,

[Shakir 2:207] And among men is he who sells himself to seek the pleasure of Allah; and Allah is Affectionate to the servants.
      Ibrahim says: salaams to all

Amazing! A verse revealed for Ali (ra) ??? Marketing shi’ism at any cost , Gandalf? Gandalf, I suppose one needs to stand upside-down to see what you see . On the other hand , Only the type of man that ayah 2:204 describes could have come up with such twists

Let me quote the ayah’s according to context

2: 201 And there are men who say: "Our Lord! give us good in this world and good in the Hereafter and defend us from the torment on the fire!"
      202 To these will be allotted what they have earned and Allah is quick in account

203 Celebrate the praises of Allah during the Appointed Days but if anyone hastens to leave in two days there is no blame on him and if anyone stays on there is no blame on him if his aim is to do right. Then fear Allah and know that ye will surely be gathered unto Him.

204 There is the type of man whose speech about this world's life may dazzle thee and he calls Allah to witness about what is in his heart; yet is he the most contentious of enemies.

205 When he turns his back his aim everywhere is to spread mischief through the earth and destroy crops and cattle. But Allah loveth not mischief.
      206 When it is said to him "Fear Allah" he is led by arrogance to (more) crime. Enough for him is Hell; an evil bed indeed (to lie on)!

207 And there is the type of man who gives his life to earn the pleasure of Allah; and Allah is full of kindness to (His) devotees.

208 O ye who believe! enter into Islam whole-heartedly; and follow not the footsteps of the Evil One; for he is to you an avowed enemy.

209 If ye backslide after the clear (signs) have come to you then know that Allah is Exalted in Power Wise

Ibrahim says: anyone with some common sense will understand that these verses describes the different kinds of man and not about Ali (ra) or anyone in particular

Yet as usual Gandalf will tell us it was about Ali (ra) even though Ali (ra) may disown him in the hereafter since Ali (ra) himself declared :-

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith Hadith 6093 Narrated by Ali ibn AbuTalib

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said to him, "You have a resemblance to Jesus whom the Jews hated so much that they slandered his mother and whom the Christians loved so much that they placed him in a position not rightly his." Ali afterwards said, "Two people will perish on my account, one who loves me so excessively that he praises me for what I do not possess, and one who hates me so much that he will be impelled by his hatred to slander me."

Ahmad transmitted it.

Comment

Very Interesting Mr. Ibrahim,

Seems like the moment your own faith is challenged by Shia beliefs you exhibit a strange clairvoyance and begin to comprehend Qur'anic texts in the correct context in which they were revealed.

Poor Gandalf is doing nothing different than what you do all the time; interpret the Qur'an based on 'stories' written after the Qur'an was revealed to derail the actual teachings and establish supremacy of a particular tribe over the other.

Whey question his motives and understanding when in subsequent posts you'll do the same.. override Qur'anic context and meaning with what Bukhari & Muslim wrote and uphold that over the true meanings?

Very interesting indeed.
        JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Originally posted by Ibrahim:

Ali (ra) may disown him in the hereafter since Ali (ra) himself declared :-

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said to him, "You have a resemblance to Jesus whom the Jews hated so much that they slandered his mother and whom the Christians loved so much that they placed him in a position not rightly his." Ali afterwards said, "Two people will perish on my account, one who loves me so excessively that he praises me for what I do not possess, and one who hates me so much that he will be impelled by his hatred to slander me."

Ahmad transmitted it.[/B]
          ---------------------------------------------
          1) Can some one explain why the times of above posts are not in chronological order?

2) Obviously ALi's name is not mentioned in the verse described above so its is upto the interpretor to make a meaning out of it and be happy about it.

3) In the referenced quote by Ibrahim, Who are the people who hate Ali so much? Are these sunnis??

Comment

Originally posted by Ibrahim:
            Ibrahim says: salaams to all

Amazing! A verse revealed for Ali (ra) ??? Marketing shi’ism at any cost , Gandalf? Gandalf, I suppose one needs to stand upside-down to see what you see . On the other hand , Only the type of man that ayah 2:204 describes could have come up with such twists

207 And there is the type of man who gives his life to earn the pleasure of Allah; and Allah is full of kindness to (His) devotees.

Yet as usual Gandalf will tell us it was about Ali (ra) even though Ali (ra) may disown him in the hereafter since Ali (ra) himself declared :-

Ahmad transmitted it.

Ibrahim;

Think for a change b4 u speak. You have the emotions of a troubled woman.

Pls explain how ayat 2.207 is praising Ali (ra) excessively ? How is this verse diefying Ali (ra) ?

Do u deny that Ali (ra) had the qualities described by this verse ?

And b4 you get tangled up in confusion, please analyze scholarly writings of esteemed sunni scholars like Ghazali and others, who have attributed this verse to Ali (ra) when he willing chose to sacrifice his life by sleeping in the holy prophet's (pbuh) bed so as to protect the noble messenger. Compare Ali's (ra) peaceful sleep to Abu baker's (ra) fear of the enemies, even though Abu Baker was in the presence of the prophet (pbuh):

[Shakir 9:40] If you will not aid him, Allah certainly aided him when those who disbelieved expelled him, he being the second of the two, when they were both in the cave, when he said to his companion: Grieve not, surely Allah is with us.

As you are very well aware, the second of the two was none other than Abu baker (ra).

Such is the difference between the ahl-bait and sahabahs.

So before you accuse me of shia bias, I suggest you read our sunni commentaries first.

[This message has been edited by Gandalf (edited July 23, 2002).]

Comment

who ever told u the sunnis hate Ali (ra)????

i never met any muslim who cud say that....
              he is among the asahara-mubashira and also the four pious khalfas....

Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Ali (ra) and his family was hated by Muwayah, Yazid, and those who rebelled against him, namely Talha, Zubair, and Umm Momineen Aisha during the battle of Jamal.

In present day, whenever anyone recognizes Ali (ra) and his family's due rights, he is detested by wahabhis and preachers of Ibn Tamiyah.

Loving Ali (ra) is a sign of faith and hating him (ra) is a sign of hypocrisy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf:
                  Think for a change b4 u speak. You have the emotions of a troubled woman.
                  Ibrahim says: Salaams to all

Gandalf dear ! It is obvious you are unable to THINK rationally , that is why you keep trying to promote shi’ism but yet do not have the courage to admit you are a shia publicly.

Which will only lead people to conclude that you are lying in a religious forum not that you did any better when you used to post as A1shah the shia .

Pls explain how ayat 2.207 is praising Ali (ra) excessively ? How is this verse diefying Ali (ra) ?
                  Ibrahim says: O lord! Why can’t you understand simple English? I wrote, that the verse you quoted has nothing to do with Ali (ra) and here you are concluding the every opposite.

After which, I quoted the hadith to show that you have been condemned by Ali (ra) because you have in ignorance attributed that verse as revealed in honor of Ali (ra) when that verse is about different kinds of behaviors mankind are capable of having being expounded by Allah (swt)

Do u deny that Ali (ra) had the qualities described by this verse ?
                  Ibrahim says : So as usual you are guessing and conjecturing about the Qur’an and hope I will follow suit? Such things are forbidden in Islam but in shi’ism, that is another story! .

And b4 you get tangled up in confusion, please analyze scholarly writings of esteemed sunni scholars like Ghazali and others, who have attributed this verse to Ali (ra) when he willing chose to sacrifice his life by sleeping in the holy prophet's (pbuh) bed so as to protect the noble messenger.
                  Ibrahim says: Don’t be naïve, when Allah (swt) guided the Prophet (pbuh) to use Ali (ra) who is not considered the enemy by his enemy to deceive the enemy, it does not mean that person is sacrificing himself. It was a tactical move that had been well planned to achieve its purpose.

Sleeping in one’s bed is not sacrificing or protecting another, it is a means of deception to fool the enemy, such that the Prophet (pbuh) will have sufficient time to escape from the enemy. Deception in warfare or oppression is considered a tactical move not a sacrifice or illegal . I am sure you knew that, since you use deception all the while even when there is no enemy going after you.

Compare Ali's (ra) peaceful sleep to Abu baker's (ra) fear of the enemies, even though Abu Baker was in the presence of the prophet (pbuh):
                  Ibrahim says: man you must be in the thick of thin things all the time! You see the plan was to make it look as though the Prophet (pbuh) was sleeping as usual in his bed, the enemies plan was to attack and kill him when he was unaware and asleep. But Allah (swt) made sure their plans would NEVER succeed. it did not mean Ali (ra) slept like a log and did not know what is going to happen that night or Ali (ra) volunteered to die for the Prophet (pbuh) or the Prophet (pbuh) allowed Ali (ra) to be killed in his place. How silly can you get by thinking the Prophet (pbuh) wanted Ali (ra) to take his place and be killed!

BTW, when you want to deceive the Muslims at least make sure that the surah is chronologically accurate to be used for that time frame.

Shakir 9:40] If you will not aid him, Allah certainly aided him when those who disbelieved expelled him, he being the second of the two, when they were both in the cave, when he said to his companion: Grieve not, surely Allah is with us.

As you are very well aware, the second of the two was none other than Abu baker (ra). Such is the difference between the ahl-bait and sahabahs.

Ibrahim says: O Lord, again you prove that you will end up being disowned by Ali (ra) because you slander and accuse the companions of the Prophet as being cowards ,( because that is what shi’ism is based on)

Now read!

9:38 O ye who believe! what is the matter with you then when ye are asked to go forth in the cause of Allah ye cling heavily to the earth? Do ye prefer the life of this world to the hereafter? But little is the comfort of this life as compared with the hereafter.

39 Unless ye go forth He will punish you with a grievous penalty and put others in your place; but Him ye would not harm in the least. For Allah hath power over all things.

40 If ye help not (your Leader) (it is no matter): for Allah did indeed help him: when the unbelievers drove him out: he had no more than one companion: they two were in the cave and he said to his companion "have no fear for Allah is with us": then Allah sent down his peace upon him and strengthened him with forces which ye saw not and humbled to the depths the word of the unbelievers. But the word of Allah is exalted to the heights: for Allah is Exalted in might Wise [/quote]

Ibrahim says: so your twist again FAILED! What a pity you are so desperate to slander the Companions of the Prophet but every time you try, you keep failing by the will of Allah (swt)

Firstly the command is being directed to the believers to do jihad against the enemy and not about Abu Bakar (ra) or the Prophet’s fears while they were hiding in the cave.

Second, even when they were only two and totally surrounded by the enemy, Allah (swt) protected them with forces that they saw not for three days, hence Ali (ra) will not have been harmed in the least when he fulfilled his part as a decoy since not only where the enemy not after him but Allah (swt)’s forces were ever near to ensure the safety of Ali (ra)

Third, All the other companions had been instructed to leave Makkah and that operation only needed three people to remain behind and went according to plan as willed By Allah (swt) .

Fourth It is sad that you are blind of the fact that this event was prophesied in the Veda and Bible even before it ever took place.

Thus your desire to exalt only Ali (ra) is understood as a necessity for the shia dogma which only establishes the fact that you are a shia masquerading as a Muslim.

So before you accuse me of shia bias, I suggest you read our sunni commentaries first.
                  Ibrahim says: before you try to exult one and downgrade the other, go and find out when that surah was revealed .

Let me help you since you have a habit of hiding and start ranting and raving when you get exposed.

surah Al Baqara IS THE 87TH SURAH TO BE REVEALED IN THE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

Gandalf! SORRY TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE, but that is what happens when you put your trust on bubbles and STOP thinking rationally.

If it would help you in any way read :-

Maududi Sura Introductions Surah 2. Al-Baqara

The greater part of Al-Baqarah was revealed during the first two years of the Holy Prophet's life at Al-Madinah. The smaller part which was revealed at a later period has been included in this Surah because its contents are closely related to those dealt with in this Surah. For instance, the verses prohibiting interest were revealed during the last period of the Holy prophet's life but have been inserted in this Surah. For the same reason, the last verses (284-286) of this Surah which were revealed at Makkah before the migration of the Holy Prophet to Al-Madinah have also been included in it.

Hope that helps

Was salaam

Ibrahim

Allah, the Exalted, says:

"And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly, bear on themselves the crime of slander and plain sin.'' (33:58)

Comment

Ibrahim;

You are one twisted individual with strange interpretations.

As to your garbage, there is no need to waste my time responding to them.

The ayats are clear and so are the historical events that took place.

Give it to you to create imaginary fiction out of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X