Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way shias pray....questions

Salaam,

I just had a question about how shias pray. A couple of times in the prayer area at my univ, I noticed a difference in the way a few people prayed. I'm not sure of the significance of certain movements/objects..so can someone explain them to me? Thanks

1) What is the significance of having a piece of stone/ wood ('m not sure what it was exactly) in front of you while you pray?

2) Why is there a repetition of "Allah Akbar" + hand gestures..I believe there are 4?

------------------
    "O people! Muhammad has no sons among ye men, but verily, he is the Messenger of Allah and the last in the line of Prophets. And Allah is aware of everything." (33:40)

"The Hour will not come ... until nearly thirty "dajjals" (liars) appear, each one claiming to be a messenger from Allah." (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim)
    22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Although I am not a Shia, I think your first question is about finding something natural to do your sajda on. Usually what I have observed is that they put their forehead on something like paper, wood or that piece of mud-cake from karbala.

I have a question. In the 3rd rakaat, you ppl do qunut. Do you read some specific Dua for qunut or do you recite surah al-hamd? Or what actually is being recited in qunut?

Comment

Salam Google;

I am also not a shia but I think that I can answer yr question.

The shias do qunoot in the 2nd rakat. During this, they recite dua like "Rabbana ataina fid dunya hasnatan wa qaina azaban nar" and then proceed to ruku.

The shias prostrate on earth in accordance with the prophet's (pbuh) instructions that "the earth has been made as a place of prostration for me and my ummah".

Hinna;

The shias end their prayers with "Allaho Akbar" 3 times and La lilla ha illal la 1 time. The hand action is just the action they do as we normally do when we say Takbir - bringing the hands to the ear and saying Allahu Akbar.

And Ibrahim, b4 u accuse me of being shia, take a chill pill and shove it.

ws

[This message has been edited by Gandalf (edited July 14, 2002).]

Comment

The way shias fly planes: Over the buildings, not into them.

[This message has been edited by Salman (edited July 19, 2002).]

Comment

Are there any Hadiths that mention AnHazoor (saw) or his Sahabah saying their prayers as Shias perform these days?

Note: This is a serious question, please stick to the topic.
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

The Namaaz of Shi'as: http://www.tolueislam.com/Parwez/QD/QD_1_01_08.htm

About the prayer of Prophet (S.A.W.): http://members.tripod.com/kbitar/pro..._on_earth.html

from the article:
            Among the Shiites, Namaaz is the name of the rak’at of Farz and they do not recognize prostration – Sajda – as fair on any other place except on soil land or on botanicals growing from the land.

Among them, probably at the absence of Imam, Individual Namaaz is offered.

As it said that they preform alone, that is right coz i work in a company in eastern part of saudi arabia, where the shias are in a minority, and when we have finished our prayers, and the company mosque is empty then they come one by one to pray individually.........

[This message has been edited by fasal (edited July 14, 2002).]

Comment

Actually they (shias) do pray with us at the same time but their salah is not Salatul-jamaah as far as what I know. Once I asked my friend about this and according to him they do not pray jamaah behind anyone who is 1) Not Shia themselves or 2) Someone who is not a good example for people. But I think they do pray Salatul Jammah behind their Ayatollah or religious leaders.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Salman:
                <EDITED>
                [QUOTE]
                As you can see..this is a serious discussion..so get out

------------------
                "O people! Muhammad has no sons among ye men, but verily, he is the Messenger of Allah and the last in the line of Prophets. And Allah is aware of everything." (33:40)

"The Hour will not come ... until nearly thirty "dajjals" (liars) appear, each one claiming to be a messenger from Allah." (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim)

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited July 16, 2002).]
                22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

Originally posted by google:
                  Actually they (shias) do pray with us at the same time but their salah is not Salatul-jamaah as far as what I know. Once I asked my friend about this and according to him they do not pray jamaah behind anyone who is 1) Not Shia themselves or 2) Someone who is not a good example for people. But I think they do pray Salatul Jammah behind their Ayatollah or religious leaders.
                  Shia's have no problem in praying behind a non-Shia. As long as you know he's a pious person, and that in my view is a priority, even if he is a Shia. I myself have prayed right behind the Imam of Faisal Mosque. Most Shia's follow Imam Khomeini when he once said that it is not a problem at all to say your prayers behind a person from another sect.

Why do the Shia's say their prayers the way they do?

Simple, because they believe it to be the way the Prophet (P.B.U.H.) said his prayers. There's proof of that too, but I'm not here to preach Shiaism...

As far the plane joke is concerned, I accept the fact that Shia's are less extremists than most other sects in ways like they don't agree with killing innocent civilians in unprovoked attacks. The proof would be the non-existense of Shi'ite's in bin Laden's gang. For people who didn't like this idea, just assume that the Shia's just aren't religious enough...

...God Save the Queen!

------------------
                  You can only paint with the colors you're given...
                  ...so get what you like and like what you have.

[This message has been edited by pakistan99 (edited July 15, 2002).]

Comment

..so umm I'm still not clear as to why there are so many takbirs....

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
                      Are there any Hadiths that mention AnHazoor (saw) or his Sahabah saying their prayers as Shias perform these days?

Note: This is a serious question, please stick to the topic.

If the hadiths re: namaz is to be followed then why not the other hadiths on all other matters, like STONING (RAJM) for example?

Are you going to say that is because RAJM is not in the quran! But then is praying 5 times or Salah is namaz in the quran?

HERE's a thought:
                      ==================
                      Why do you pray three times during the haj & umrah and NOT the 5 times if that is how the prophet prayed?

Comment

Hafeez,

Lets not make it another Stoning thread. You will find my views on Hadiths in the thread 'What abrogates what'
                        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Hafeez,

Lets not make it another Stoning thread. You will find my views on Hadiths in the thread
                          Let's not misquote me!

I only stated that if you are going to use the hadiths re: namaz then, you must follow the hadiths re: other matters and I gave STONING as an example.

CLEARLY, the hadiths on the namaz or stoning or that namAz stands for salah, CANNOT BE CORROBORATED BACK TO THE QURAN.

You haven't answered my earlier point:
                          Why pray 3 times during haj & umrah when you are convinced that the right number is 5 times.

Comment

Hafeez,

Let me clarify that I do not belong to the Shia community.

Secondly, I follow Hadiths & Sunnah in the case of Salat as those Hadiths do not contradict Quran. In my opinion, in the case of stoning the adulterer the Hadiths does contradict. My faith in Hadiths is similar to what Khariun Nisa stated:

Qur'an abrogates hadith. The criteria for deciding the "standing" of Hadith is simple: if it clashes with the Qur'anic ayah's then it is abrogated. Nothing can come close to abrogating the divine word of the Creator, as promised by the Almighty.
                            If you can point out where the Quran contradicts the Hadiths in the matter of Salat; please let it come to light!

Lastly, if you still stuck on this then please either post your quries in a seperate thread or carry on in the thread 'What abrogates what' Thank you!
                            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Hafeez,

Let me clarify that I do not belong to the Shia community.

Secondly, I follow Hadiths & Sunnah in the case of Salat as those Hadiths do not contradict Quran. In my opinion, in the case of stoning the adulterer the Hadiths does contradict. My faith in Hadiths is similar to what Khariun Nisa stated:

If you can point out where the Quran contradicts the Hadiths in the matter of Salat; please let it come to light!

Lastly, if you still stuck on this then please either post your quries in a seperate thread or carry on in the thread 'What abrogates what' Thank you!
                              dear sir,
                              I know you are not a shia!

You seem to be missing the boat about the point i am making:

1) for the third time, pls explain why:
                              During haj & umrah why do we pray 3 times and not five?

Does not your hadith say - 5 namaz!

Pls explain why you make an exception during the haj?

2)
                              Secondly, I follow Hadiths & Sunnah in the case of Salat as those Hadiths do not contradict Quran
                              Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X