Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QIBLAH

Dear All, salaam,

in mahiwal's thread on the hadith and sunnah to show that there is wahi apart from the Quran, he mentions the Qibla direction in support of extra-quranic wahi!!(there are so many issues mentioned in that thread, but here we have to start somewhere).

mahiwal:
    First example: The Holy Quran Says..

And We did not appoint the Qiblah on which you were earlier, but that We might know the people who follow
    the Messenger as distinct from those who turn back on their heels. (2:143)

In order to understand the verse, it is necessary to know the background in which it was revealed:

In the early days of Madani life, after the Holy Prophet’s (PBUH) migration to Madinah, the Muslims were ordered to
    direct their faces in prayers towards Baytul-Maqdas (Jerusalem) which had been appointed as Qiblah of the Muslims.
    Up to seventeen months, the Muslims had been observing the Baytul-Maqdas as their Qiblah. It was after seventeen
    months that the Holy Qur’ân abrogated the earlier order and the Muslims were required to observe the Holy Mosque
    of Makkah as their Qiblah and turn their faces towards it while praying. The following verse was revealed to appoint
    the new Qiblah:

…So turn your face towards al-Masjid al-Haraam. (2:144)

This new order was criticized by some disbelievers and they objected on it as to why the Baytul-Maqdas was
    appointed as Qiblah earlier. The above quoted verse (2:143) was revealed to answer this objection. The answer was
    that the appointment of the former Qiblah was in order to test the people whether or not they follow the Messenger.
    To quote the meaning of the verse again:

And We did not appoint the Qiblah on which you were earlier, but that We might know the people who follow the
    Messenger… (2:143)

Here the appointment of the previous Qiblah has been attributed to Allâh Almighty, which is a clear indication to the
    fact that the appointment of Baytul-Maqdas as Qiblah was done by the order of Allâh Almighty Himself. But this order
    is nowhere in the Holy Qur’ân, and there is no verse in the Holy Book which directs the turning of faces towards
    Baytul-Maqdas. This order was given to Muslims by the Holy Prophet (PBUH) with no reference to any verse of the
    Holy Qur’ân. Still, this order was mentioned by the Holy Qur’ân in the above quoted verse as the order of Allâh: The
    words,

“We did not appoint the Qiblah,” instead of the words,

“The Holy Prophet did not…” are too clear on this point to need more explanation.

This statement of the Holy Qur’ân, thus, evidently proves that the previous order given by the Holy Prophet (PBUH)
    was based on a revelation which did not form part of the Book. And this is exactly the “unrecited revelation.” The
    verse of the Holy Qur’ân (2:143) quoted above proves the following facts:

(a) The Holy Prophet (PBUH) used to receive some revelations which are not contained in the Holy Qur’ân.

FILHAAL:
    nice thread!!
    ayat 2:143 does NOT show that the Prophet (saw) was given some extra-quranic instructions to take JERUSALEM as a QIBLAH. If you remember properly, history tells us that Jerusalem was already considered (before the QUranic revelation) a QIBLA (due to previous scriptures)!!! So in the earlier times before the WAHI came with the clear instructions (that are in the QURAN) to change the QIBLA to the Ka'Ba, muslims also prayed facing Jerusalem!!
    The Kaba at that time could not be used as a place of worship towards GOD because it was filled with statues of the gods of the polytheists of Mekka!
    So, in that case to face towards Jerusalem was a natural first step (for which no Wahi was required), because Jerusalem had already been called a QIBLA in the previous scriptures.

btw Furhtermore, the QIBLA does not mean a place that one has to face, it means TO FOCUS on GOD!!

1. How can we be sure that "facing" is the physical act of turning yourself till your face points in the general direction of a location?

2. Also.. is it really related to prayer?? What makes us think that the "turning of face" verses are for Salat?

JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Walikum Salam W'r W'b;

Like I've said filhaal, I will not beat a broken drum. Answer all the arguments from that thread without baby arguments such as this one, and then maybe we'll proceed. You say that it was natural to face towards Jerusalam, but you're ignoring the entire sentence my man, which says:

'but that We might know the people who follow the Messenger'.

Explanation of this phrase too, please, would be much appreciated. Gracias.

PakistaniAbroad,

.. and I'd love to hear your interpretation of this verse, and what it refers to. Also, what is the purpose of the Qiblah in your opinion?

Comment

Mahiwal,

Are you aware that previous prophets were told to make their homes a 'Qiblah'??.

Qiblah is no more than a 'focal point'. It doesn't necessarily have to be a stone structure towards which you physically face (or assume you're facing , since the earth is round) for prayer.

Comment

dear mahiwal,

of course i will answer all your points!!
          i have also other thinks to do instead of reading your epic posts!!

again, you are a hard learner, WHO ARE YOU TO DECIDE WHAT BABY ARGUMENTS ARE???

but for the time being i had to begin somewhere!!

PakistaniAbroad,
          indeed QIBLA means to FOCUS in a mental sense, and has less to do with the actual physical facing a direction!!! but we will stick to mahiwal' interpretation!!

The instruction to appoint Jerusalem as a QIBLAH was not given to the Prophet (saw), the appointment had already been made in the previous scriptures.

the people had two most obvious choices either face the KABA (which at that time belonged to the polytheists) or turn towards Jerusalem (which was already establishes as a QIBLA) for monotheists based on previous scriptures!!

So when the Prophet (saw) faced Jerusalem (i repeat again: FOR WHICH THE PROPHET DID NOT RECEIVE WAHI) the people had to choose........(that is were the second part is refering to.......)

Comment

PakistaniAbroad;

Two questions come to mind.

#1- Sources for your first claim would be very helpful, I had no idea of this.

#2- If Qiblah is only a focal point why does this Ayah ask us to turn our face towards Masjid Al-Haraam? Also Why do you say its a focal point only? Any why shouldn't we be facing it for prayer?

I guess the fundamental difference comes into play again, you dont believe in ahadiths, and I do, so unless you give me good reason to (For example, refute all the claims from the other thread?), I certainly can not take your word over the Sunnah of Muhammad(SAWW). Hope you see my point.

Comment

filhaal;

I'm sorry I cant seem to agree with your logic. To me, it doesn't seem plausible in the remotest sense that the Prophet(SAWW) would turn towards Jerusalam for prayer without it being Allah's command. To me it seems that you're saying that the Prophet(SAWW) would act on something which was not Allah's order?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahiwal:
                #1- Sources for your first claim would be very helpful, I had no idea of this.
                [Yunus 10:87] And We revealed to Musa and his brother, saying: Take for your people houses to abide in Egypt and make your houses qiblatan and keep up prayer and give good news to the believers.

#2- If Qiblah is only a focal point why does this Ayah ask us to turn our face towards Masjid Al-Haraam?
                Allah asks us to 'turn our face' vajhaka towards the Sacred Mosque.. and ignorant fools think it's about turning our "boothas" (mugs for ABCD's) in the geographical direction

Read:

(10:105) "And further (thus): set thy face (vajhaka) towards religion with true piety, and never in any wise be of the Unbelievers;

(30:30) So set thou thy face (vajhaka steadily and truly to the Faith: ....

(30:43) But set thou thy face (vajhaka) to the right Religion before there come from Allah the Day which there is no chance of averting: on that Day shall men be divided (in two).

PakistaniAbroad: Now go ahead.. get your Qibla-finding GPS software and find the direction of Faith and True Religion so that you can turn your face towards them.

Also Why do you say its a focal point only? Any why shouldn't we be facing it for prayer?
                Cuz Allah didn't say so. What more do you want??

(al-Baqara 2:177) It is not righteousness that you turn your faces (vujuhakum) towards the East and the West.....

[This message has been edited by PakistaniAbroad (edited July 18, 2002).]

Comment

Filhaal, I think you did not explain the following part of this verse: "...but that We might know the people who follow the Messenger..."

Originally posted by filhaal:
                  dear mahiwal,

of course i will answer all your points!!
                  i have also other thinks to do instead of reading your epic posts!!

again, you are a hard learner, WHO ARE YOU TO DECIDE WHAT BABY ARGUMENTS ARE???

but for the time being i had to begin somewhere!!

PakistaniAbroad,
                  indeed QIBLA means to FOCUS in a mental sense, and has less to do with the actual physical facing a direction!!! but we will stick to mahiwal' interpretation!!

The instruction to appoint Jerusalem as a QIBLAH was not given to the Prophet (saw), the appointment had already been made in the previous scriptures.

the people had two most obvious choices either face the KABA (which at that time belonged to the polytheists) or turn towards Jerusalem (which was already establishes as a QIBLA) for monotheists based on previous scriptures!!

So when the Prophet (saw) faced Jerusalem (i repeat again: FOR WHICH THE PROPHET DID NOT RECEIVE WAHI) the people had to choose........(that is were the second part is refering to.......)

Comment

Why would you focus your mind towards Qiblaa when you can focus directly towards Allah!

Which way should I face while offering prayers then? Anywhere? Because God is everywhere?

Ofcourse the reason why Muslims pray facing towards Qibla is because it was the Sunnah of Hazrat Muhammad (saw) ... period. I cant help you guys if you have no regard for the Sunnah of our Holy Prophet (saw), I would rather pity you.

PakistaniAbroad,

[This message has been edited by ramyssysIX (edited July 18, 2002).]

Comment

dear all, salaam,

this is developing into a interesting discussion.

first something about that other thread of Mahiwal. the whole case which he presents over there is to show that the HADITH are an essential part of ISLAM.
                      To make the hadith more attractive the hadith proponents have come up with an excellent idea to support the hadith with the notion of revelation and needed to explain the quran. They say that what is contained in the hadith was also to some part divine revelation!!

if we take a closer look at history then we will see the same thing happening with the Jews and this point should be alarming for the muslims!! Because the jews could not support certain customs and beliefs which the written TORAH did not justify, certain rabbi's invented this notion of ORAL revelation, which was not in the original TORAH, but was only later written down in the Thalmud, which is the Hadith of the jews!!!
                      the same thing is happening with the muslims to make the hadith more credible this notion of revelation in the hadith is added!!
                      Next you quote the following verse:

Indeed We have revealed the Zikr (ie. the Qur’ân) and surely We will preserve it. (15:9)

then you say, look GOD has PROMISED (AND GOD certainly does not break promises!!) to perserve the ZIKR. Going on from here you say that : ha, ZIKR is the revelation, then you come to the conclusion that apart from the QURAN there is revelation (prophetic tradition needed to understand the QURAN) contained in the hadith!! AND THEN YOU HAVE YOUR CONCLUSION, that the hadith should also have been preserved!!

BUT my dear friends, if you just take a glace at history over the last 1400 years,
                      LOOK AT THE GLORIUOS WAY IN WHICH GOD HAS PRESERVED WORD-BY-WORD, LETTER-BY-LETTER THE QURAN!!

now, compare this to the way the hadith have come to us. first of all 6 BOOKS (most important BUKHARI, MUSLIM, ABU DAWD, NISAI TRIMUTHI, and i forgot the last???) FOR THE SUNNI'S and 4 books of the SHIA's. why are there 10 books of hadith??
                      then there is this distinction between QUDSI and SAHIH and whenever a hadith does not satisfy your wishes then it is a fabricated one!! there are contradiction within the hadith (EVEN THE SAHIH OF MUSLIM, BUKHARI) and with the quran!! Do you call this preservation?? this is an outright blasphemy towards the omnipotence of GOD. IF GOD WILLS THAT SOMETHING IS PRESERVED THEN IT IS, just look at the quran in contrast to the hadith!!

So, if you now look at the verse 15:9 being objective you have to conclude that ZIKR only refer to the QURAN and NOT to any other things being preserved onlongside the QURAN needed to understand it!

but now to the main point, you do not seem to understand why Prophet should have faced Jerusalem for prayer without a clear order from GOD!!

You will agree with me that the FIVE pillars of Islam were already present since the time of PRophet Ibrahim (saw) and also subsequently given to other Prophets!!
                      Hence one of them the prayer was also something which existed before the time of Prophet Mohammad (saw)!!
                      The Jews and Christians (monotheists in general) already used Jerusalem as their QIBLA for prayer (got this)!!
                      However, the polytheists of MEkka had made the KABA their "qibla" where they prayed to their gods!!

The message of GOD through The Prophet (saw) was in the first place meant for the polytheists, so when the early muslims got the order to pray it was unto them to decide whether they were going to choose the KABA which was a polytheistic qibla or the then established MONOTHEISTIC QIBLA JERUSALEM!!

And We did not appoint the Qiblah on which you were earlier, but that We might know the people who follow

So, the first part of this ayat refers to the appointment of Jerusalem as a MONOTHEISTIC QIBLA in the previuos scriptures, for which the Prophet (saw) did not need a NEW order through the WAHI (which is not in the QURAN!!)

and the second part refers to the fact the early muslims had a choice to keep on praying like the polytheists towards the KABA or redirect their QIBLA towards Jerusalem (and i re-iterate that this city had already been appointed as a QIBLA for monotheism) as a sign of directing their WORSHIP and FOCUS towards GOD ALONE!!

The major task of the Prophet (saw) in his early part of his prophethood was to make clear to the polytheists of the notion of GOD ALONE, so in this sense this was in accordance with the Jewish beliefs (of course the jews had also invented and added many things of their own, but the notion of ONENESS was the same)!! hence praying towards Jerusalem as sign of MONOTHEISTIC belief in contrast to KABA was "natural" choice. The major problems with the jews arose once the Prophet (saw) had established himself in Madina but that is a later chapter in history!!

suppose you are a 6-7th century polytheist and every day you had been praying towards KABA as your QIBLA towards the gods. and you know that others who claim to believe in one GOD (eg. jews) and pray towards jerusalem.
                      then amids these polytheist a person is sent preaching to worship GOD alone and you get impressed by this personality and you want to know more on this GOD aLone notion!!
                      If you get the order to PRAY TO GOD ALONE, what would be your choice, keep on praying towards kaba or redirect yourself towards the established monotheistic QIBLA, which was appointed in the previuos scriputes ??????

basically, what i am saying is that this ayat does not show that the Prophet (saw) received extra-quranic revelation!!!!!!

mahiwal wrote:For example, refute all the claims from the other thread?

filhaal:
                      what kind of remark is this?? do you really think i can refute every aspect in ONE POST!!
                      i will be going through it in a point by point fashion!! So, do not get hasty!!

Comment

Filhaal, have you ever heard about Hadees-e-Qudsi?

dear all, salaam,

this is developing into a interesting discussion.

first something about that other thread of Mahiwal. the whole case which he presents over there is to show that the HADITH are an essential part of ISLAM.
                        To make the hadith more attractive the hadith proponents have come up with an excellent idea to support the hadith with the notion of revelation and needed to explain the quran. They say that what is contained in the hadith was also to some part divine revelation!!

if we take a closer look at history then we will see the same thing happening with the Jews and this point should be alarming for the muslims!! Because the jews could not support certain customs and beliefs which the written TORAH did not justify, certain rabbi's invented this notion of ORAL revelation, which was not in the original TORAH, but was only later written down in the Thalmud, which is the Hadith of the jews!!!
                        the same thing is happening with the muslims to make the hadith more credible this notion of revelation in the hadith is added!!
                        Next you quote the following verse:

Indeed We have revealed the Zikr (ie. the Qur’ân) and surely We will preserve it. (15:9)

then you say, look GOD has PROMISED (AND GOD certainly does not break promises!!) to perserve the ZIKR. Going on from here you say that : ha, ZIKR is the revelation, then you come to the conclusion that apart from the QURAN there is revelation (prophetic tradition needed to understand the QURAN) contained in the hadith!! AND THEN YOU HAVE YOUR CONCLUSION, that the hadith should also have been preserved!!

BUT my dear friends, if you just take a glace at history over the last 1400 years,
                        LOOK AT THE GLORIUOS WAY IN WHICH GOD HAS PRESERVED WORD-BY-WORD, LETTER-BY-LETTER THE QURAN!!

now, compare this to the way the hadith have come to us. first of all 6 BOOKS (most important BUKHARI, MUSLIM, ABU DAWD, NISAI TRIMUTHI, and i forgot the last???) FOR THE SUNNI'S and 4 books of the SHIA's. why are there 10 books of hadith??
                        then there is this distinction between QUDSI and SAHIH and whenever a hadith does not satisfy your wishes then it is a fabricated one!! there are contradiction within the hadith (EVEN THE SAHIH OF MUSLIM, BUKHARI) and with the quran!! Do you call this preservation?? this is an outright blasphemy towards the omnipotence of GOD. IF GOD WILLS THAT SOMETHING IS PRESERVED THEN IT IS, just look at the quran in contrast to the hadith!!

So, if you now look at the verse 15:9 being objective you have to conclude that ZIKR only refer to the QURAN and NOT to any other things being preserved onlongside the QURAN needed to understand it!

but now to the main point, you do not seem to understand why Prophet should have faced Jerusalem for prayer without a clear order from GOD!!

You will agree with me that the FIVE pillars of Islam were already present since the time of PRophet Ibrahim (saw) and also subsequently given to other Prophets!!
                        Hence one of them the prayer was also something which existed before the time of Prophet Mohammad (saw)!!
                        The Jews and Christians (monotheists in general) already used Jerusalem as their QIBLA for prayer (got this)!!
                        However, the polytheists of MEkka had made the KABA their "qibla" where they prayed to their gods!!

The message of GOD through The Prophet (saw) was in the first place meant for the polytheists, so when the early muslims got the order to pray it was unto them to decide whether they were going to choose the KABA which was a polytheistic qibla or the then established MONOTHEISTIC QIBLA JERUSALEM!!

So, the first part of this ayat refers to the appointment of Jerusalem as a MONOTHEISTIC QIBLA in the previuos scriptures, for which the Prophet (saw) did not need a NEW order through the WAHI (which is not in the QURAN!!)

and the second part refers to the fact the early muslims had a choice to keep on praying like the polytheists towards the KABA or redirect their QIBLA towards Jerusalem (and i re-iterate that this city had already been appointed as a QIBLA for monotheism) as a sign of directing their WORSHIP and FOCUS towards GOD ALONE!!

The major task of the Prophet (saw) in his early part of his prophethood was to make clear to the polytheists of the notion of GOD ALONE, so in this sense this was in accordance with the Jewish beliefs (of course the jews had also invented and added many things of their own, but the notion of ONENESS was the same)!! hence praying towards Jerusalem as sign of MONOTHEISTIC belief in contrast to KABA was "natural" choice. The major problems with the jews arose once the Prophet (saw) had established himself in Madina but that is a later chapter in history!!

suppose you are a 6-7th century polytheist and every day you had been praying towards KABA as your QIBLA towards the gods. and you know that others who claim to believe in one GOD (eg. jews) and pray towards jerusalem.
                        then amids these polytheist a person is sent preaching to worship GOD alone and you get impressed by this personality and you want to know more on this GOD aLone notion!!
                        If you get the order to PRAY TO GOD ALONE, what would be your choice, keep on praying towards kaba or redirect yourself towards the established monotheistic QIBLA, which was appointed in the previuos scriputes ??????

basically, what i am saying is that this ayat does not show that the Prophet (saw) received extra-quranic revelation!!!!!!

mahiwal wrote:For example, refute all the claims from the other thread?

filhaal:
                        what kind of remark is this?? do you really think i can refute every aspect in ONE POST!!
                        i will be going through it in a point by point fashion!! So, do not get hasty!!

Comment

Ibrahim says: salaams to all

Dear all

If every human being was allowed to invent/decide his own version of how any thing came to pass we can have as many versions on any given matter as we like and this is what comes to pass in discussions where deceivers and liars are not CLEARLY identified or exposed and rejected. Simply put, religious discussions adopting the path of least resistance, leads to misguidance and crookedness in the long run.

It has been revealed:-

2: 169 For he ( shaitan) commands you what is evil and shameful and that ye should say of Allah that of which ye have no knowledge.

Thus, Those who blindly or willfully engaging in the spread of conjectures , broadcasting their conjectures and misleading the people with their flowery speech are:

1) Negating what He, the Most High, has affirmed

2) Affirming what He, the Most High, negated

3) Hostility to those who champion His cause

4) Supporting His enemies

Althought this is ONLY a discussion, the words will remain as written and many may be mislead by false notions given herein.

As for those who are firm and rightly guided, maybe the following will guide us aright concerning this topic. If Allah (swt) so willed!

The Qibla was established by prophet Ibrahim (as) for Muslims the day he and his son rebuilt the Kabah, (Most Hindu temples do face a certain direction , which will be towards Makkah although current Hindus have no idea as to why this is the case, and will deny any association with makkah or ka'bah even though their scriptures reveals that Brahma {prophet Ibrahim( as)} built the ka’bah ) which remained as the center for pilgrimage even at the time of David/Dawud (as) although David/Dawud (as) faced the temple at Jerusalem when addressing his prayers to Allah (swt)but pilgrimage was done at baca ( makkah)

Kindly read:-

Psalms 138:2. I ( David) will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word.

Psalms 84:5. Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.

6. As they pass through the Valley of Baca, ( baka is the older name of makkah) they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools.

Ibrahim says hence there was no revaltion given for facing jerusalem but Prophets were directed as to which direction they will face based on the prevailing location of the Holiest place at that time frame as directed by the Holy Spirit (Angel Jibreel) which will be recorded as hadiths or not recorded when not mentioned to others by the Prophets. .

At the time of Christ the son of Mariyam , Christ Clearly prophesied that the direction of worship will be changed after him.

Kindly read:-

John 4:19. "Sir," the woman said, "I can see that you ( Eesa fabricated to Jesus in the Bible) are a prophet.

20. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem."

21. Jesus declared, "Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.

Ibrahim says: hence the direction and Holiest of holies will be changed after Christ and that was what took place as prophesied by Christ as mentioned in the Bible. .

Kindly read;

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith Hadith 1.392 Narrated by Bara bin Azib

Allah's Apostle prayed facing Baitul-Maqdis for sixteen or seventeen months but he loved to face the Ka'ba (at Mecca) so Allah revealed: "Verily, We have seen the turning of your face to the heaven!" (2.144) So the Prophet faced the Ka'ba and the fools amongst the people namely "the Jews" said, "What has turned them from their Qibla (Baitul-Maqdis) which they formerly observed"" (Allah revealed): "Say: 'To Allah belongs the East and the West. He guides whom he will to a straight path'." (2.142) A man prayed with the Prophet (facing the Ka'ba) and went out. He saw some of the Ansar praying the 'Asr prayer with their faces towards Baitul-Maqdis, he said, "I bear witness that I prayed with Allah's Apostle facing the Ka'ba." So all the people turned their faces towards the Ka'ba.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith Hadith 1.397 Narrated by Abdullah bin Umar

While the people were offering the Fajr prayer at Quba (near Medina), someone came to them and said: "It has been revealed to Allah's Apostle tonight, and he has been ordered to pray facing the Ka'ba." So turn your faces to the Ka'ba. Those people were facing Sham (Jerusalem) so they turned their faces towards Ka'ba (at Mecca).

Kindly read as to why Muslims have been commanded to face the Qibla:

2: 148 To each is a goal to which Allah turns him; then strive together (as in a race) toward all that is good. Wheresoever ye are Allah will bring you together. For Allah hath power over all things.

149 From whencesoever thou startest forth turn thy face in the direction of the Sacred Mosque; that is indeed the truth from thy Lord. And Allah is not unmindful of what ye do.

150 So from whencesoever thou startest forth turn thy face in the direction of the Sacred Mosque; among wheresoever ye are turn your face thither that there be no ground of dispute against you among the people except those of them that are bent on wickedness; so fear them not but fear Me; and that I may complete My favors on you and ye may (consent to) be guided.

Ibrahim says: the direction NEVER changed in essence since the first HOLY house built for Allah (swt) has always been a place of veneration and pilgrimage even when it was corrupted by the Pagans and Arabs but since it became polluted with idols the direction was changed temporarily towards Jerusalem at the time of Prophet Dawud (as) till Prophet Eesa (as) and after the ka’bah was cleansed of idols it became the Qibla as previously established by Prophet Adam (as) and prophet Ibrahim (as).

Most of all the Final Prophet was born in makkah because it was the original Qibla and the original place where the House of God was first established and accepted by Allah (swt) .

Hope that established the truth in this matter

Was salaam
                          Ibrahim

Worship like you see Him , and you will not see Him but know that He sees you

Comment

The book of tafsir (ibn Kathir) had following commentary regarding verse (2:142) & verse (2:143)

- this verse and few others, that follow, are about the change of qibla. The prophet mohammad (as) and his followers, in their early days of islam, took as a symbol for their qibla the sacred temple of jerusalem. for some thirteen years and few months, they faced towards the said temple in their prayers.

- Under divine instruction, Prophet Muhammad saw established the kabba as Qiblah. This incident raised a dispute, and once again the jews found a pretext to make much ado about nothing! They objected: if the qibla towards jerusalem was right, why should you change it? and if it was wrong, what happens to so much prayers that have been performed in a wrong direction and qibla, during the long period of thirteen years time?

- And then this Verse was revealed " The fools among the people will say: "What hath turned them from the Qibla to which they were used?" Say: To God belong both east and West: He guideth whom He will to a Way that is straight. 2:142"

- The new qibla was the center point of reference that is because when the christians faced towards the birth place of their prophet jesus (as), they had to direct themselves towards the east. on the other hand when the jews who mostly lived in syria, and babylon, when faced towards jerusalem, they would have to direct themselves towards the west. But muslims who were almost all in medina, directed themselves towards mecca in a point and direction that was a midmost between the east and the west.

Comment

Working...
                            X