Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lord of the Martyrs

The Massacre at Karbala and how it saved Islam from near defeat

Only a few decades after the Prophet's (SAWS) passing, the Muslim Empire was being taken over by materialism, corruption, pride and pre-Islamic tribal rivalries. Many turned away from the great religion that they had been exposed to. The love of this world entered their hearts as a result of the rapid expansion and mass amount of wealth that the Muslims gained in their conquests. Few sincere men and women were left, and those who did survive were struggling to maintain their piety and devotion to Allah. The largest tragedy of all was the issue of the Caliphate, which had been forcefully taken by the Ummayid Clan, who were abusing their power and spreading corruption across the lands.

The troubles reached their peak when Yazid took control of the Islamic Empire after his father, Muawiya, passed away. Islam was doomed, and something was needed to re-ignite the spirit in the religion that the Prophet of Islam, Muhammad (SAWS) left behind. That was the Great Sacrifice, the sacrifice of al-Hussain ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib (AS), the son of Fatima al-Zahra (AS), the daughter of the Prophet (SAWS) of Islam.

Imam Hussain (AS), the 57 year old grandson of Prophet Muhammad (SAWS), sacrificed everything he had for one goal, namely, to let truth prevail over falsehood. On the tenth of Muharram, 680 AD, in Karbala, on the bank of the River Euphrates in the area now known as Iraq, the greatest massacre in history took place. On one side of the battlefield stood Imam Hussain (AS), who was raised in the house of the Prophet (SAWS) along with his family members and companions. On the other side stood the forces of Yazid, a tyrant claiming to be the representative of the Prophet (SAWS), the ruler of the Islamic Ummah, and furthermore, claiming to be the "Khalifat Allah," or the Vicegerent of God on Earth.

When Imam Hussain (AS) left Medina for the Battle at Karbala, he told the people, "I am not rising (against Yazid) as an insolent or an arrogant person, or a mischief-monger or tyrant. I have risen (against Yazid) as I seek to reform the Ummah of my Grandfather (SAWS). I wish to enjoin the good and forbid the evil." (Maqtalu'l Husain by Al-Khatid Al-Khuwarazmi, vol. 1, pp.88). Imam Hussain (AS) knew Yazid had no regard for Islamic values and teachings, that he would do anything to impose his tyrannical rule. Imam Hussain (AS) also knew that pledging the oath of allegiance to an impostor like Yazid would surely place Islam in great jeopardy. Furthermore, Imam Hussain (AS) knew that he would be killed if he stayed in Mecca. Therefore, in order to preserve the respect of the holy city of Mecca and the House of Allah he had to migrate.

Heading towards Karbala, he never ceased calling people to strive for the Islamic ideals of social justice and government, and to wage war against deviation from Islamic conduct. At Karbala he quoted the Prophet (SAWS) saying, "He who sees a fierce governor violating Allah's law, breaking His covenant, acting in contrast to the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAWS), mischievous and suppressing people, then he does not try to change that ruler by action or speech, indeed Allah has promised an appropriate place in hell." Imam Hussain (AS) added, "They have pledged allegiance to Shaytan (the Devil) and left Allah's obedience. They have spread corruption, suspended the practice of Islamic laws, and taken the Muslims' wealth. Besides forbidding what is permitted and allowing what is forbidden."

By the afternoon seventy-two defiant believers had sacrificed their lives in Karbala to save Islam. All had fought under nerve racking conditions, severe thirst, dehydration, exhaustion, and under agonizing suspense of what would happen to the family of the Prophet (SAWS) afterwards. Many of the martyrs were brutally cut into pieces, including children. After Imam Hussainís (AS) martyrdom, Shimr a general of Yazidís army came forward and removed Imam Hussainís (AS) noble head from his body, the noble head kissed often by the Prophet (SAWS). Yazidís forces had the impudence to carry it on the tip of a spear to Yazid, 600 miles away.

Murdering Imam Hussain (AS), the grandson of the Prophet (SAWS), created an outcry across the Muslim world. His death was truly tragic, not to mention the gruesome details of the manner in which he was murdered, or the treatment given to his family, who had the highest esteem and respect of all Muslims, or the treatment of the women in Imam Hussain's (AS) camp, who were taken captive along with the son of Imam Hussain (AS), Imam Ali Zain al-Abedine (AS), and dragged to Damascus, the Ummayid capital. Consequently, most of the Muslims disassociated themselves from Yazid's actions and policies. In due course, Allah's wrath fell upon him, causing him to die at the young age of thirty-three, after wreaking havoc on the Muslim Ummah in only three years of holding power. A series of revolutions ignited by Imam Hussain's (AS) revolutionary spirit emerged at successive periods. Within a few decades, the rule of Bani-Ummayid crumbled and came to an end.

"Imam Hussain (AS) made a decision to confront injustice and tyranny rather than be complacent to it. The victory of Karbala was not decided in the battlefield but in the hearts of the truth-seekers and lovers of Allah. The real battle was not over power but over justice and obedience to Allah and His Prophet (SAWS). That is also why those who have properly understood the message of Karbala and emulated Imam Hussain (AS) have succeeded against the greatest odds. Look at how in the last twenty years, under the guidance of Imam Khomeini (RA) the people of Iran were able to topple the CIA-backed Shah, armed only with the love of Allah and a desire for truth or martyrdom! It was this same message of Karbala, which inspired the Islamic Resistance in occupied South Lebanon. One teenager sent the mighty US Marines running out of Beirut, and a few thousand men have been an inexhaustible thorn in the side of the Israeli military machine." (The History and Philosophy of Majlis Al-Hussain by Kamyar M. Hedayat).

Thus we see that the spark that Imam Hussain (AS) lit has been burning for the past 1300 years, and will continue to burn as long as man continues to desire justice and freedom, and as long as Muslims desire to implement Islam in society. I would like to conclude with some words from one of the greatest leaders of the century, a man who truly understood the revolution and the message of Imam Hussain (AS), Ayatullah Khomeini (RA), who is speaking to each and every Muslim about the reality of Imam Hussain's (AS) struggles and how they translate to our own lives today:

l you plainly that a dark, dangerous future lies ahead and that it is your duty to resist and serve Islam and the Muslim people. Protest against the pressure exerted upon our oppressed people every day. Purge yourselves of your apathy and selfishness; stop seeking excuses and inventing pretexts for evading your responsibility. You have more forces at your disposal than the Lord of the Martyrs (Imam Hussain, upon whom be peace) did, who resisted and struggled with his limited forces until he was killed. If (God forbid) he had been a weak, apathetic and selfish person, he could have come up with some excuse for himself and remained silent. His enemies would have been only too happy for him to remain silent so that they could attain their vile goals, and they were afraid of his rebelling. But he dispatched Muslim ibn Aqeel, his cousin to procure the people's allegiance to him so that he might overthrow that corrupt government and set up an Islamic government. If he had sat in some corner in Medina and had nothing to do with anyone, everyone would have respected him and come to kiss his hand. And if you sit silently by, you too will be respected, but it will be the kind of respect that is given to a dead saint. A dead saint is respected by everyone, but a living saint or Imam has his head cut off."

YA ALI MADAD!

Comment

How can Hazrat Ali, who is now not much more then a dead man in his grave provide you with the help you seek Lindi ? (no disrespect to Hazrat Ali Rahmatullah Alaih intended, i hold the Prophet and Sahaba including ALL 4 CALIPHS in the highest respect).

1:4 You(alone) we worship, and You (alone) we ask for help.

[7.196] Surely my guardian is Allah, Who revealed the Book, and He befriends the good.
      [7.197] And those whom you call upon besides Him are not able to help you, nor can they help themselves.

[42.31] And you cannot escape in the earth, and you shall not have a guardian or a helper besides Allah.

Asking someone who died for Help isnt the way of islam, but rather that of the jahiliah...

Im sorry if im sounding a bit harsh in this post, my intents are good.

[This message has been edited by Maniac (edited July 18, 2002).]

Comment

-

[This message has been edited by Maniac (edited July 18, 2002).]

Comment

indeed a great loss to Islam....
          Hassan and Hussan (may Allah be pleased with them) are the leaders of the men in the heaven (as reported by sahih hadeeth)....
          can imagine the darkness of the heart that could plot such a thing against him....

but Islam was going thru instability soon after the death of the Prophet (pbuh)....
          things were somewhat under control during the time of Abu Bakar (may Allah be pleased with him) and Umar (may Allah be please with him)....
          but the murders of Umar, Usman, Ali and Hassan (may Allah be pleased with them all) were already very tragic....

------------------
          "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
          Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

>>[QUOTE]Originally posted by armughal:
            [B]indeed a great loss to Islam....
            Hassan and Hussan (may Allah be pleased with them) are the leaders of the men in the heaven (as reported by sahih hadeeth)....<<

"It shows the position and honor of Ahle-bait and helps in understanding how different and above they r from other Sahaba"

As Holy Prophet(pbuh) Said once "Hussain minni wa ana min-ul hussain".

Comment

other sahaba include Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) who was their father....
              and i think Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) was much more superior to his sons....

anyway Allah knows best who is higher in ranks....
              we just know that all sahaba hold very high ranks and i dont think we can even imagine the height at which those ppl r....

our whole lifetime of worship and prayers cant take us to the height that one day with the Prohet in the cave did for Abu Bakar....
              or or to Umar, about who the Prophet (pbuh) said that the satan does not dare go on the street on which Umar walks....
              or to Usman to whom the Prohet (pbuh) married two of his daugthers....
              or to Ali, who slept in the Prohet's bed when his house was surrounded by the tribes of the whole arab with bare swords....

Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by mm10:
                "It shows the position and honor of Ahle-bait and helps in understanding how different and above they r from other Sahaba"
                Let's go the assumption that you are actually honest in your approach.

But, just what makes 'Ali (R) part of Ahl al-Bayt (The Prophet's (S) Family) ?

If it is because 'Ali (R) was married to the Prophet's (S) daughter, then why isn't Hadrat Uthman (R) part of the Ahl al-Bayt, since he had married 2 of the Prophet's Daughters (one after the death of the other). ?

The Prophet (S) had married the daughters of Abu Bakr (R) and 'Umar (R) . Then why aren't they part of the ahl al-bayt ?

Originally posted by mm10:
                Ok, lets tolerate your logic that the Sahaaba (R) need to be constantly put down by constantly reminding us how inferior they were to the Ahl al-Bayt.

But, why don't the Shias atleast express some sympathy or sense of loss (EVEN LIP-SERVICE) at the tragic martyrdom of 'Umar (R) , 'Uthman (R) or other Sahaaba (who were also part of the Ahl al-Bayt) ?

I'll wait for your response. If you chose to ignore these questions, it would only shed some light on the amount of truthfulness and honesty of the person.

Thank you.

Comment

You know answer to first question but anyhow Ahle bayet R only Prophet(pbuh), His daughter Fatima(as), Ali(as), Hassan and Hussain(as) and thier desendents in succesion up to Imaam Mahdi(as). I do'nt have to prove it as it has been done in several previuos threads.

the other question......

When did I say that i do'nt respect shaba or sympathize with other deaths.We have to first prioritize our mournings and sympathies. For me the martyrdom of hazrat Imam Hussain(as) tops my list of grieving or sympathy. Its b/o his martyrdom that we have a lively islam .
                  even All the prophets r not the same in thier positions, how can all the shahaba's be same.

Comment

Why grieve for someone who attained shahada and thus never really died ? For a Shaheed is not dead, but something we cannot understand.

Plus attaining shahada is one of the greatest things a muslim could achieve, so one should be happy for them, not grieve for them.

Anyways as far as the status of the Sahaba is concerned, they arnt all equal, some were better then others in different ways, but all of them(as far as i know..but i dont know too much) were great human beings, some of the greatest human beings that ever lived or ever will live.

Comment

>>but all of them(as far as i know..but i dont know too much) were great human beings, some of the greatest human beings that ever lived or ever will live. [/B][/QUOTE]<<

I do agree with you maniac to a certain extent

but do you imply that the ppl after the demise of Holy prophet(pbuh) ca'nt reach or excel the honor of Shahaba. And Shahaba r better becoz they have the chance to live in the company of Holy prophet(pbuh), if its the case you R totally undermining the Islamic concept of "Taqwa" and That i do'nt agree with it. As Allah is the best to know who is Afzal or not other than prophets and Imams.
                      Waslam

Comment

Alright.. enough sucking up to each other.. the party pooper is here and the gloves are off.

What's all the ranting about this person being superior and that person being superior?? seems more like second graders on a "my-daddy-can-beat-up-your-daddy" argument.

What you do is with you.. what earlier generations did was with them.. don't waste your time arguing who was what as we have absolutely no clue as to what happened to those people after they died and what will happen to us after we die.

Crying for them today brings you squat. Beating yourself up for their death is downright funny.

.. and Karbala saved Islam??? weren't Hussain and his army defeated??
                        JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Anybody not showing EQUEL respect to the 4 Caliphs , Abu Bakr, Omar, Uthman or Ali is not a very good muslim as I see it but just a hypocrit who wants to indulge in fitna , no matter a Shia or Sunni.

Comment

Originally posted by ZII:
                            Anybody not showing EQUEL respect to the 4 Caliphs , Abu Bakr, Omar, Uthman or Ali is not a very good muslim as I see it but just a hypocrit who wants to indulge in fitna , no matter a Shia or Sunni.
                            Where in the qur'an does Allah (swt) stipulate this requirement ?

Comment

[This message has been edited by Maniac (edited July 20, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                              X