Obey GOD and Obey the Messenger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obey GOD and Obey the Messenger

in different post many have qouted ayats from the quran containing the basic notion of :"Obey GOD and Obey the messenger".

many would say that obey GOD means to follow the orders of the quran and obey the messenger (saw) means to follow the hadith!!

This is a misinterpretation!!!
    what are your views??????

interesting to see that noone has yet replied to this thread.

but I'm posting my view here. it's a quote of somehitng which I posted in another thread:

what does "obey/follow the prophet" mean!
    If I say to you: "obey your father", does it mean that you too should drink tea at 7 o'clock because your father likes drinking tea at 7 o'clock, or does "obey your father" mean that you follow him in his morals/decency/humbleness etc?????

In other words, does "follow the prophet" mean that we do exactly everything what he did, or does it mean that we follow him in his morals/decency/humbleness/patience etc (=all of which can be found in the Quran).
    Why so serious ... ?

Comment

Pray tell, if it doesn't mean following the Hadiths, then what else does it mean? I know what your answer will be, but lets hear it from you.

Comment

or does it mean that we follow him in his morals/decency/humbleness/patience etc (=all of which can be found in the Quran)
        Have you read the Quran completely even once? Because someone's morals/decency/humbleness/patience can only be understood by studying their life, and the Quran is certainly not a life history of the Prophet(PBUH).

Comment

Originally posted by Mahiwal:
          Have you read the Quran completely even once? Because someone's morals/decency/humbleness/patience can only be understood by studying their life, and the Quran is certainly not a life history of the Prophet(PBUH).
          of course not! but the essence of the Quran is doing good deeds (also meaning doing things with sincerity/decency etc).
          Now, it won't be too difficult to imagine that the messenger who brought this message would follow his own message, would it?

[This message has been edited by NeSCio (edited July 15, 2002).]
          Why so serious ... ?

Comment

Nescio, you can keep making excuses, or you can pick up a book of ahadiths, and read about the Prophet(PBUH). It is clearly stated that you must follow the Prophet(PBUH), you can keep making excuses, or give it a try.

Oh, and btw- be sure to read books which explain ahadiths in their context, I can get you names if you wish. Many ahadiths end up looking wrong because we do not know the history behind them. Sincere advice: give it a try. None of us are stupid to believe so strongly in it. We've been through the phase.

You're a muslim brother and I'm concerned but I dont bother arguing when the other doesn't want to learn, rather invents terms such as "Hadithis". decision is yours- I'm out.

[This message has been edited by Mahiwal (edited July 15, 2002).]

Comment

^first of all, I've never said that I reject all Hadith. I've always sai, and again I'll say now that if the essence of a Hadith is the same as what is stated in the Quran, I'll accept that Hadith and think of it as a good piece of history-writing!
              (however, most people (in favour of Hadith) tend to think of Hadith as devine revelations in addition to the quran)
              Why so serious ... ?

Comment

I've opened another thread which contains excerpt from the book, The Authority of Sunnah. You're most welcome to visit! The thread is titled- Sunnah, Ahadiths- their importance and authenticity.

Comment

According to Hazrat Ayesha bint Abu Bakar and Hazrat Fatima Az- Zahra bint Rasurullah, Prophet (pbuh) is the walking Quran. Obedience to prophet (saw) means obedience to Allah swt. Disobedience to the holy prophet means disobedience to Allah swt.

Comment

^according to the same Hadith one can conclude that obedience to the quran is obedience to the Prophet

[This message has been edited by NeSCio (edited July 15, 2002).]
                    Why so serious ... ?

Comment

salaam,

my basic question was whether these two components refer to two different things (GOD to QUran and Messenger to hadith):

1. Why did not God only say to "Obey God" but also add " obey the messenger" to it!! can normal mortals (like us) hear, see or talk to God, or does God talk to normal people. the answer is no!! the only way we can "obey GOD" is through HIS MESSENGER to whom GOD gives his orders (wahy)!!

2. furthermore, adding the second clause (that we should "obey the messenger") means that we should follow the message that he, the prophet (saw), delivers which is the QURAN!!God does not say "obey GOD and Obey Mohammad" or "obey Mosa" ,or "obey Isa", but instead GOD is refering to "obey the messenger", hence putting emphasis on the message, which is the quran!!!!
                      moreover, the Prophet (saw) himself has been ordered to follow the QURAN!!

there are in the quran no references to extra-quranic texts that were sent to the prophet (saw) as a guide for people!! As i have said in other posts the QURAN itself is COMPLETE, PERFECT and FULLY-DETAILED for our salvation!!

my conclusion is that obey GOD and Obey the messenger refers to the same point which is the QURAN

the hadith should be delt with as a historical document not some extra-quranic revelation!!

people think that if you say that Quran is enough, that what i mean is not to follow or disobedience of the prophet!! no, not at all, following the quran IS in fact following the prophet and GOD!!

Comment

Allah Ta'ala clearly says in The Holy Quran:

Indeed in the Messenger of All‚h (Muhammad SAW) you have an excellent example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) All‚h and the Last Day and remembers All‚h much. (Al-Ahzaab: 21)

Verily, those who give Bai'‚ (pledge) to you (O Muhammad SAW) they are giving Bai'‚ (pledge) to All‚h. The Hand of All‚h is over their hands. Then whosoever breaks his pledge, breaks only to his own harm, and whosoever fulfills what he has covenanted with All‚h, He will bestow on him a great reward. (48:10)

Comment

so what is your point??????

Comment

Originally posted by Uzee:
                            Allah Ta'ala clearly says in The Holy Quran:

Indeed in the Messenger of All‚h (Muhammad SAW) you have an excellent example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) All‚h and the Last Day and remembers All‚h much. (Al-Ahzaab: 21)

Verily, those who give Bai'‚ (pledge) to you (O Muhammad SAW) they are giving Bai'‚ (pledge) to All‚h. The Hand of All‚h is over their hands. Then whosoever breaks his pledge, breaks only to his own harm, and whosoever fulfills what he has covenanted with All‚h, He will bestow on him a great reward. (48:10)
                            it is fine you quoting these verses, but what do u wanna say with it????
                            what does 'follow the example' mean?????? follow exactly every single thing he did or follow him in his principles????
                            Why so serious ... ?

Comment

asslamu alaikum wa rehmatullahi wa barakaatohu!

Originally posted by NeSCio:
                              it is fine you quoting these verses, but what do u wanna say with it????
                              what does 'follow the example' mean?????? follow exactly every single thing he did or follow him in his principles????
                              well brother, its weird how you're saying to "follow exactly everything he did"<<<this sounds a bit complicated..because we can all very well understand that we cannot live our life EXATLY as he did..for example ...for the muslims living in Makkah...i'm sure not any one of them goes to Cave of Hira to meditate /pray everyday...for long hours even days...(sorry if the example is little cheap) So Of Course we cannot live our lives exactly same as His but we follow his teachings...from his sunnah...for example using a miswaak ...RasulAlah (pbuh) recommended its use and there are many healthy benefits to using it...so we should use a miswak because it is a sunnah of RasulAllah ... and following RasulAllah also brings you loads of good deeds.

keep in mind that Muhammad pbuh was a Prophet of Allah..and everything he did was by the guidance of Allah..and Allah also says that Muhammad is an excellent example for us to follow....which means follow his teachings(hadith/sunnah) ...since he was the living Quran..we should read the Quran and follow it.
                              Allah Ta'ala says in The Holy Quran:

'Verily, We have given you (O Muhammad SAW) a manifest victory.
                              That All‚h may forgive you your sins of the past and the future[], and complete His Favour on you, and guide you on the Straight Path; '{48:1-2)

We can aslo understand that everythung Muhammad pbuh did was from the direct guidance of Allah Ta'ala. His teaching (ahadith) do Not Contradict to Allah's Words(Quran).

[This message has been edited by Uzee (edited July 15, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                              X