Case Report in Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Case Report in Pakistan

Is the punishment dealt out accordingly to the Sharia Law? Also, the article mentions nothing about a trial or witnesses. In such a case, if this man really was guilty, would the imam have the authority to deal out this particular punishment without a trial or witnesses , and without the intervention and appeal to the LAW of the STATE?

I dont know too much about Sharia Law so I'm posting this up in case someone here is familiar with the Islamic Laws.
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Dear PCG

what case do u want to discuss? any link please?

------------------
    May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Duh I forgot the article.

Here it is:
      http://www.dawn.com/2002/07/06/top14.htm
      Villager stoned to death on Imam's call

By Shamsul Islam Naz

FAISALABAD, July 5: A man of Chak Jhumra was stoned to death on Friday by villagers on the call of a local Pesh Imam who had issued a decree (Fatwa) against the man accusing him of blasphemy.

Zahid Shah, 40, of Chak 103 JB (Barnala), about 26km from here, was booked under Section 295-B of the Blasphemy Act by Chak Jhumra police in Sept 1994 on the complaint of Maulvi Faqir Mohammad, Imam of the village mosque, for desecrating the Holy Quran and using objectionable words against the holy Prophet.

The accused was arrested and jailed. But in 1997, he was granted bail by a local court.

After his release he left the village and settled with his brother, Mohammad Naeem, in Madina Town (Faisalabad) while the case registered in 1994 against him was still pending with the court.

A few days ago, Zahid Shah returned to his village. He allegedly had an altercation with some of the locals on Thursday. When the matter was brought to the notice of Faqir Mohammad, he convened a "Panchayat" the same day.

After Isha prayers, Maulvi Faqir Mohammad made announcement through the mosque loudspeaker and urged people to come out of their houses and kill Zahid.

Scores of the villagers gathered outside Zahid's house, dragged him out in the presence of his brother and wife Perveen, and beat him with iron rods and sticks.

When he fell unconscious, the mob dragged him to the main intersection of the village. In the meantime, people belonging to nearby villages had also reached there.

When he regained senses, Mauvli Faqir Mohammad asked the enraged mob to stone him. Zahid Shah sustained serious injuries during the stoning and died on the spot.

Chak Jhumra police, who reached the spot after four hours of the incident, neither arrested any of the persons who had stoned Zahid nor sent the body to hospital for autopsy.

Zahid's relatives, who were shocked and terrified, kept themselves indoors and refused to get any case registered against any person. The police handed over the body to Naeem who took it to Faisalabad for burial.

A Chak Jhumra Police Station official said it was an "accidental incident" and did not fall in the purview of cognizable offence. He said when Zahid's family members refused to lodge any complaint, the question of registering the case did not arise.

Zahid was the first cousin of Chaudhry Mohammad Tariq, Naib Nazim of Tehsil Council, Chak Jhumra. Zahid left behind a widow and a son, Khurram Shahzad.

When this correspondent visited the village, some witnesses said that though before stoning Naeem had begged mercy for his brother and promised that the accused would leave the village forever, the mob and the Imam had no second thoughts.

Comment

I heard a slightly different version. He was let out on bail in '97 by reason of insanity. If that's true, then stoning an insane person to death sure takes a really big man. A big enough man to authorize to take another's life.

People who claim to strictly abide by the Holy book assume they're God; the imam should be hanged.

Comment

If the court has not reached a decision, the pesh Imam has no say, he should be prosecuted and punished if found guilty. This MOB style judgement will leave no one alive in Pakistan.

------------------

Comment

Here's another article:

Imam held for inciting mob against American-born Pakistani

------------------------------------------ http://rediff.com/news/2002/jul/08pak.htm

K J M Varma in Islamabad

An Islamic cleric and two others have been arrested in Pakistan's Punjab province for inciting a mob to kill a US navy engineer of Pakistani origin accusing him of blasphemy.

The Jaranwala police on Sunday arrested the Imam of a local mosque and two others for instigating villagers to kill Faraz Jawed, who objected to anti-US remarks by the Imam in his Friday sermon, the daily Dawn reported on Monday.

The incident comes close on the heels of stoning to death on Thursday of a 40-year-old man, Zahid Shah, for making blasphemous remarks in a neighbouring village.

Police have registered a case against 300 people in this connection. As Hafiz Abdul Latif began delivering his lecture cursing Pakistan government and the US, 30-year-old Jawed told the cleric to confine himself to Islamic teachings, the daily reported.

"Instead of blaming America, you should better tell us Islamic teachings," Jawed reportedly told the Imam.

The Imam apparently did not take kindly to it and asked the people gathered to kill Jawed.

"He is also an American and an enemy of Muslims", he declared inciting the crowd to attack, the newspaper said.

Jawed, however, managed to escape and hid in his relative's house. The crowd followed him to the house, on a directive from the Imam. The relatives managed to inform the police who rushed to the site and dispersed the mob, the daily said.

Comment

mullah gang

------------------

Comment

You know, this is aside from topic, but what I find sooo funny is that when a topic is posted about non-Islamic acts committed in the name of Islam -- no one responds.

No one takes the time out to speak out against the act.

We dont condemn our own wrongs, yet we're sooo quick to comdemn the wrongs of others and/or condone acts that are essentially wrong becuase of extraneous reasons.

Sad.

I really encourage people to speak up when it comes to this post. I asked some questions - and it would be GREAT if those soo knowledgable about hadith and sunnah and other topics would enlighten us on their thoughts on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
                  We dont condemn our own wrongs,
                  There are enough Jews, Hindus and Shias to do that job. I'm sure they can do without any contribution from our part.

Comment

You know, this is aside from topic, but what I find sooo funny is that when a topic is posted about non-Islamic acts committed in the name of Islam -- no one responds.

No one takes the time out to speak out against the act.
                    its because people like u put these non-Islamic acts here in the religion forum and critics record it as an Islamic act....
                    u r in fact helping them to gain material against Islam, and whats really sad is that none of it is a part of Islam or any religion, yet u ppl bring it up as if it was a flaw in the religion of the people who carried out the act....

------------------
                    "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
                    Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

armughal with all due respect, I never called such behavior a flaw in the religion. In fact, my first question is "is this Islamic?" -- to which no one provided any proof from the sharia that the punishment is right or wrong. So first answer my question before you slap me in the face, because I'd really like to know the sharia's stance on this issue, and the authority of Imams in this issue.

I dont THINK its allowed, but I'd like to confirm that, if anybody has the knowledge here to do so.

Also, if it is wrong indeed, then its not a flaw in the religion, but in the people following the religion. Contradictory to what you blame me for, I'm not trying to show Islam as flawed, but Muslims as flawed.

If we're flawed, which I KNOW we are, then do we really have the right to be blaming the west for our problems? I mean, look at these articles. I could put up more if you want. My point is that no MUSLIM wishes to take the time out and examine these issues, but MUSLIMS have all the time in the world to play blame games.

Its not a critique on Islam, but on MUSLIMS. Big difference between Islam and today's MUSLIMS.

Of course, agar aap ko iss baat ko accept karni nahi, tho seedhi tarhan se kehdo.

Comment

Contradictory to what you blame me for, I'm not trying to show Islam as flawed, but Muslims as flawed.

If we're flawed, which I KNOW we are, then do we really have the right to be blaming the west for our problems? I mean, look at these articles. I could put up more if you want. My point is that no MUSLIM wishes to take the time out and examine these issues, but MUSLIMS have all the time in the world to play blame games.

Do you want me to start pasting some articles about your beloved West? And what evidence do you have to back this irresponsible and totally misleading statement of yours:
                        • My point is that no MUSLIM wishes to take the time out and examine these issues, but MUSLIMS have all the time in the world to play blame games.

You say: "My point" - Well, Was that REALLY your point when you started that thread?

And just who has given you the right to belittle the Muslims in this manner?

Yes, we Muslims have much room for improvement. But, inspite of that, we have a beautiful Ummah of about 1.8 Billion Muslims and we love it dearly.

America can bomb a mosque filled with 150 worshippers and noone questions her for that. It can bomb a mosque which has people in A'tkaaf (Seclusion) and it can get away with that. No one blames Christianity for that. But, instead we have some HERETICS (of some minority sect) here who wholeheartedly support the American Crusade in Afghanistan.

But, if 5, I repeat, just FIVE people are killed in a Church attack in Pakistan, the Western media makes a lot of noise for days. And to top it, we have some Muslims blaming the Muslims for being backward and what not.

Islam means "Submission" or "Surrender" . You simply have to "Submit" yourself to Allah and His laws, and Insha Allah, you'll be able to see things in a much better light, and you'll attain much inner peace. Do not question Allah. Simple "Submit" to Him, and Insha Allah, you'll be at peace, and you'll start enjoying that feeling.

And I'm sorry if I've been harsh in my words, but I wasn't very comfortable with what you had said.

------------------
                        When My servants ask you concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calls on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way. (Holy Qur'an 2:186)

[This message has been edited by Khoon-e-Shaheed (edited July 14, 2002).]

Comment

PCG-

I don't know how much authority Shariah law permits to an Imam. But the Imam sure must have been quite secure in his thoughts that what he decreed is the correct.

If I were in his place, I would just allow God to deal with the individual. If the victim infact committed blasphemy, he would be dealt a just reward in due time. But imagine having the burden of unjustly dealing out a punishment. I would much rather that the wrath of God be on the blasphmer than on me for treating him unjustly.

Comment

Of course, agar aap ko iss baat ko accept karni nahi, tho seedhi tarhan se kehdo.

how effetcive is this that u r doing????
                            do u think it is getting any muslims to take action????
                            i dont think so....
                            its just giving more material to those against Islam....
                            u have to be careful with what u do....

dont announce the mistakes of ur own people all over, try to correct them, but dont give others a reason to discard Islam....

------------------
                            "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
                            Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Armughal-

Sometimes, we have an image of certain guppies and we tend to respond to them based on those inclinations rather than the question at hand.

In this thread, PCG isn't pointing out the flaws or trying to give material to those against Islaam. She has a valid question, and is wanting to increase her knowledge of Islaam. I too lack the knowledge to what she has questioned and was eagerly awaiting responses from knowledgable guppies in order to learn and serve Allah all mighty.

If you know the answer to her question in the first post: Is the punishment dealt out accordingly to the Sharia Law? Also, the article mentions nothing about a trial or witnesses. In such a case, if this man really was guilty, would the imam have the authority to deal out this particular punishment without a trial or witnesses , and without the intervention and appeal to the LAW of the STATE? please answer. If not, it would be better if you didn't make unfair remarks.

Comment

Working...
                              X