nailpolish and namaz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nailpolish and namaz

can i pray namaz if i have nail polish on?

if u did ur wudhu prior to putting nail polish on, with that wudhu u may pray. but when that wudhu becomes void for any reason, u have to remove nail polish.

Allah SWT knows best.

------------------
    May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

thanks fr rpelying! do you know of any scific sources though? also, i have seen some arab friends that they sometimes just pass a wet hand over their socks and dont wash their feet as part of their wuzu if they are doing wuzu...through that logic, nailpolsih shuold be okay too?

Comment

Does anyone know the history behind the nailpolish rule?

I know in the Quran it says one must not intoxicate themselves, naturally.

But when was not drinking alcohol expanded to not wearing nailpolish and the like, and who gave this fatwa?

Or is it in a hadith somewhere that women may not pray with nailpolish, given the further defined description above?
        I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Faatma Habeeb: Assalamo Alaikum, here are some of the fatawa I found online...

Question:

Is there any sin involved in a woman wearing nail polish? What should she do when doing wudoo?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We do not know of any ruling on that, but it is better not to use it, because there is no need for it, and because it may prevent the water reaching the skin when doing wudoo’. In brief, it is better not to use it, and to be content with henna, because that which the earliest Muslim women used is better. If a woman does use it, then she has to remove it when doing wudoo’, because – as we said – it prevents the water from reaching the skin. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Alazeez ibn Baaz (www.islam-qa.com)
          Question:

We have heard some people saying that it is permissible for a woman to make wudoo' without removing her nail polish. What is your opinion?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

If the nail polish forms an impermeable layer that prevents water from reaching the surface of the nail, her wudoo' is not valid unless she first removes it. If she wears something like henna that does not create an impermeable layer, then her wudoo' is valid.

Fataawaa al-Lajnah al-Daa'imah, 5/171 (www.islam-qa.com)

In order for wudhu to be valid, water must reach the surface of the nails.
          That does not take place with nail polish on the nails. The polish prevents
          the water from reaching the surface of the nails, therefore, the wudhu will
          be invalid.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
          FATWA DEPT.p

Question
          If one performs Ghusl and Wudhu and then applies nail polish, can I pray for a period of time until I break my Ghusl. Can I make Wudhu over nail polish for a day like one does with socks?

Answer
          Washing hands–nails included--with water is an essential integral (Fard) of Wudhu, which means that Wudhu is not valid without it; washing is incomplete unless water comes in direct contact with the skin/finger.

Nail polish, paint, etc. have a thick layer which prevents water reaching your skin. It is, therefore, a must to remove that layer before making Wudhu. Henna, however, is different from that of nail-polish since it has no visible layer but only color. So it does not affect the validity of Wudhu.

What is stated above is the generally accepted view of all of the Schools of Jurisprudence. Exceptions to this rule are made only when use of water becomes harmful because of a health condition or sickness.

The analogy of wiping hands with wiping on socks/stockings is not valid; there is precedent for allowance of wiping on socks/stockings in the Shari’ah, while no such precedent exists as regards wiping of hands in normal circumstances.

------------------
          "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
          (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Comment

Some Muslims do massah over their socks because it is allowed in the SHariah provided the sock fullfils a certain criterion, e.g. thick enough, non-porous etc. There are specfics to this issue but I can't recall them off hand. Hazrat Muhamamd (pbuh) has himself done this in his life. But please do refer to books or scholars for exact information.

The logic behind the nail polish issue is that wudhu is not valid unless all suggested parts of the body become wet with water. With nail polish, nails dont get wet and thus it is a must no to have it on the nails for a proper wudhu.

Also please do not confuse this issue (nail polish) with the one mentioned above (about the socks), it is a totall separate thing.

Originally posted by Faatma Habeeb:
            thanks fr rpelying! do you know of any scific sources though? also, i have seen some arab friends that they sometimes just pass a wet hand over their socks and dont wash their feet as part of their wuzu if they are doing wuzu...through that logic, nailpolsih shuold be okay too?

Comment

oh ok nevermind, i thought it had to do with nailpolish having alcohol in it.

The sock thing is intersting. So would one's sock have to be totally soaked for wudu to completely wet the skin?

also, I know this may sound heretic and all, like every other statement i make here, but I thought the purpose of wudu is just to clean yourself...

So if one inch of your nail isn't clean...then does it really matter in the eyes of God? I'm sure there isn't dirt piled up under the nailpolish?

Also in reference to hinaa - I can't really say anything to this since I dont know how hinaa works -- I hope you folks are as good scientists as you are debators. Does the hinaa actually form a coat of rang on the skin, or does the dye penetrate into the skin cells ?

Comment

By the way, nail is dead tissue - i dont know if this would make any difference...

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
                  By the way, nail is dead tissue - i dont know if this would make any difference...

I think the only part we are supposed to cut of nails is dead part, the other is NOT. Try over-cutting nail and see if you feel pain , this may not be a true/accurate test for it being alive, but thats how I personally see it .

------------------

Comment

Soaking one's self in water is NOT the aim of wudhu.. It's done because Allah told us to do so in preparation of Salat and also to 'purify' us.

As usual 9th centuray Arabian interpretations will treat the 'purify' literally and think of soaking body parts. Allah however talks about 'inner' purification.. why else would he allow people to perform wudhu without water when they cannot find it or are ill or in journey?

Always concentrate on the reason behind an action.. and not get caught up in useless debate like nail polish, mehndi, etc etc.

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited July 09, 2002).]
                    JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Yeah I can see one too

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
                      Soaking one's self in water is NOT the aim of wudhu.. It's done because Allah told us to do so in preparation of Salat and also to 'purify' us.

As usual 9th centuray Arabian interpretations will treat the 'purify' literally and think of soaking body parts. Allah however talks about 'inner' purification.. why else would he allow people to perform wudhu without water when they cannot find it or are ill or in journey?
                      Really? Did Allah SWT only talk about "inner" purification? If thats the case, why "ablution/wudhu" at all? Its BOTH. Cleanse urself. Allah SWT does not want to burden you with what you cannot bear. If you are sick or journey you get the exemption, otherwise NO.

23.62 On no soul do We place a burden greater than it can bear: before Us is a record which clearly shows the Truth: They will never be wronged.

Always concentrate on the reason behind an action.. and not get caught up in useless debate like nail polish, mehndi, etc etc.
                      Thank you for ur advise. For u some issues may be useless, for some they may not.

When you go fatwa shopping you get as many half-a$$ed opinions as there are half a$$ed maulvi's and trust me, there are many.
                      Yeah, I just saw urs too

------------------

[This message has been edited by Changez_like (edited July 09, 2002).]

Comment

*smiles n agrees with Changez_like

------------------
                        "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
                        (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Comment

You know... this was an awesome topic!!!!
                          Especially with it being summer and all.. I was having a hard time wearing sandals w/o polished feet.

------------------
                          Jaan LeY Hi JaUn ViChoRay
                          I have OCD: Obsessive Cullens Disorder
                          Bite Me! -- Please
                          I like running with scissors...makes me feel dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Pyaricgudia:

The sock thing is intersting. So would one's sock have to be totally soaked for wudu to completely wet the skin?
                            Do not mock the shar'eeah, simply because you are ignorant and do not understand.

PakistaniAbroad,

Watch your language! If you do not learn to control your emotions, i shall start deleting regardless of what you post, blindly, and without reason.

Sentinel.

Comment

I am sure that the nail polish doesn't allow water to soak or wet the nail part of our hands and feet and one should not apply nail polish because wadhu is invalid because of it BUT, what about the sisters and brothers(Arabs) who never wash their feet never care to put off their shoes even and pray I have witnessed a lady she did wadhu, didn't remove her shoes, did not perform "masah" on her feet. and prayed with me WITH shoes. And many brothers who never care to put their shoes off. I am kind of confuse like many Other pakistani sisters and brothers.

Comment

Working...
                              X