Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debate in Saudi - Tolerance towards west

A Few Saudis Defy a Rigid Islam to Debate Their Own Intolerance

Prompted by the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States, a cautious debate is taking place in Saudi Arabia's closed society over intolerance toward non-Muslims and attitudes toward the West that are now viewed by some as inspiring unacceptable violence.

The debate appears to represent a significant shift in a society whose Wahhabi branch of Islam tends to make such questioning taboo

But cracks are beginning to appear in this facade of disavowal. A small group of intellectuals, academics, journalists and religious scholars are quietly suggesting that change is needed.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/12/in...st/12SAUD.html

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Maybe this is the starting of a deep introspection and debate in the saudi intelligentia. It would be a step in the right direction, which opens up the closed minds of the saudi's towards rational thinking.

In my opinion, "rigid" anything is almost always bad as it has a tendency to breed fanaticism. While I can't access the full article using your link, from the excerpts you have posted, I welcome the news and hope it is a developing trend.
    "I met the surgeon general - he offered me a cigarette. " --Rodney Dangerfield

Comment

"Bookshops in the holy cities of Mecca and Medina, for example, sell a 1,265-page souvenir tome that is a kind of "greatest hits" of fatwas on modern life. It is strewn with rulings on shunning non-Muslims: don't smile at them, don't wish them well on their holidays, don't address them as "friend."

"Well, of course I hate you because you are Christian, but that doesn't mean I want to kill you," a professor of Islamic law in Riyadh explains to a visiting reporter"

"The faithful who must live abroad should "harbor enmity and hatred for the infidels and refrain from taking them as friends," it reads in part."

Those are some parts taking out of the article it makes it hard to ever imagine that our two cultures could ever live together when hate like that is preached and condoned by their religious scholars.I hope we can i just don't see it happening though.

Comment

Working...
      X