Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What minimally required to be MUSLIM?Is Kalm muslim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What minimally required to be MUSLIM?Is Kalm muslim?

Abul Kalam is Indian scientist sort of Qadir Khan Munir Khan nuclear scientists of Pakistan ,who is touted as Muslim nominee for President position of India (president of India unlike head of state is merely a ceremonial toothless position)

However being from South India where muslims are even less than usual minority position ofIndian Muslims of India in General,some of them have more indian (hindu) influence in language, dress,names etc. etc.

Rafique Zakaria is more traditional muslim leader from Mumbai one time minister & Governor. of Mumbai.... politically successfull..... though himself not very Islamic or islam before politics & world....... CHARGES KALAM OF HAVUING TOO MANY HINDU FRIENDS,HINDU TASTES,& NOT LIKE ZAKARIA paan eating, ghalib singing, urdu speaking regular kind

http://www.asianage.com/nmain.asp?la...42&newsid=5949

What's Muslim about Kalam?

- By Dr Rafiq Zakaria

Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, who will be our next President, is by all accounts a great scientist; his contribution to India?s defence is of the highest order; he is rightly called the Missile Man; every Indian feels proud of him; he is in every respect a Bharat Ratna. But because he was born a Muslim and bears a Muslim name, he should not be put in the same category as the two former Muslim Presidents, Dr Zakir Husain and Mr Fakruddin Ali Ahmed. Both of them were as great a patriot and Indian to the core as Dr Kalam. But they were also Muslims in the real sense of the word; they believed in the tenets of the Quran and faithfully followed the traditions of the Prophet. They worked for the uplift of the Muslims as much as for the progress of India. They were ardent followers of Gandhiji and had sacrificed for the cause of India?s freedom. They opposed Jinnah?s Two-Nation theory and were close associates of Maulana Azad. They had full faith in India?s composite culture and never hesitated to be a part of her ancient heritage.

Withal, they were also deeply involved in the hopes and aspirations of Indian Muslims; they engaged themselves actively in the emancipation of their community. Dr Zakir Husain built up the Jamia Millia Islamia and was for some time the vice-chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University. Similarly Mr Fakruddin Ali Ahmad always took up the cause of the Muslims, both in Assam and in the rest of the country.

I am afraid, Dr Kalam has kept himself completely away from Muslims; he refused to mix with them and even when invited to participate in their nationalistic activities, he politely declined. As chairman of the All-India Khilafat Committee I requested him to be the chief guest at the mammoth Prophet?s birthday celebrations in Mumbai, which is attended by more than ten lakh Muslims every year, but he refused. This was, in fact, started by Gandhiji in the wake of the Khilafat and the Non-Cooperation Movement in 1921 to promote Hindu-Muslim unity. It has been attended by most of our national leaders both during the Freedom Struggle and after Independence, even Prime Ministers and other highest dignitaries have graced the occasion by their participation. Likewise, Dr Ishaq Jamkhanwala, president of Anjuman-i-Islam, which was founded by the third Congress president, Mr Justice Badruddin Tyabjee, tells me that his invitation to Dr Kalam to visit the Anjuman to deliver the famous Seerut lecture to pay homage to the Prophet was turned down by him. He has hardly shown any interest in the affairs of the Muslim nor has he had any affiliation with the practices and conventions of Islam. He was one of the founder trustees with me of Maulana Azad Educational Foundation, floated by Government of India for promoting and aiding education among the Muslims; but Dr Kalam showed no interest in its work.

Dr Kalam feels much more at home with the Hindus. His Hindu friends, with whom he has spent a good deal of his life, have testified to the fact that he is far more attracted to Hinduism than Islam; I find nothing wrong with it. But for God?s sake, don?t describe him as a Muslim President and take credit for having obliged the Muslims for giving them this great honour. K. Rama Rao, former director of Defence Research and Development Laboratories (DRDL) writes: ?I have known him for more than three decades, but find him the same, from the simple and unassuming fellow who shared a room with me in 1954 to the one who became my boss in the ?80s. He would stay up late at night, eat vegetarian food and never show any signs of being a Muslim. I have not seen him offering prayers during namaz nor fast during Ramzan.? Likewise R. Aravamudan, former director ISRO?s Satellite Centre, Bangalore: ?We lived in Indira Bhavan Lodge in Thiruvananthapuram. People there called him Kalam Iyer because he moved around with Brahmins and had similar eating habit. The only non-vegetarian food he ate occasionally was egg masala along with Kerala parottas. He would not talk much about his parents or siblings.?

Dr Kalam never reads the Quran but every morning he goes through the Gita and is enchanted by it. He is sincerely devoted to Krishna. He recites the Hindu mantras on every occasion. Namaz does not appeal him nor has he ever fasted in the month of Ramzan. He is a strict vegetarian and a life-long brahmachari. His roots are really in Hinduism and he enjoys all the sacred Hindu scriptures. Hence the credit for his elevation, in communal terms, should go to the Hindus; to give it to the Muslims would be wrong. In fact Dr Kalam himself would be happy if he is not described as a Muslim President and his name is not linked with Dr Zakir Husain and Mr Fakruddin Ali Ahmad.

This does not mean that he is not a good man or inferior to the two Muslim Presidents; I am only objecting to the appellation. He is in fact most worthy to be President. He is great in the true sense, and his simplicity, humility and honesty will add lustre to the highest office of our country. I wish him all the best; may God, of whatever denomination Dr Kalam believes in, be with him.

?

Nature?s unnatural (June 23 2002 3:13:52 AM )

?

------------------
    Father is like the referigerator light .You only notice it when it is fused!

[This message has been edited by Emgncy (edited June 22, 2002).]

idunno if Abdul Kalam is a real muslim or just a muslim by name..nut as u subject asks:What minimally required to be MUSLIM?

well a muslim needs to believe in five 'arkan' and follow them

1. Tauheed : believe in unity of Allah
    2. prayer
    3. fasting
    4. zakat ( charity)
    5. hajj ( pilgrimage)

And of course belief in the first kalima which is translated as:
    "There is no god but Allah, And Prophet Muhammad is His messanger"

And secondly to believe in Quran being the Last Holy Book and to believe that it is complete in all respects and ofcourse to follow the injunctions laid out in Quran.

If a person doesnot believe in any one of them then he cannot be considered a true muslim.

Comment

Originally posted by enchanted:
      idunno if Abdul Kalam is a real muslim or just a muslim by name..nut as u subject asks:What minimally required to be MUSLIM?

2. prayer
      3. fasting
      4. zakat ( charity)
      5. hajj ( pilgrimage)

And secondly to believe in Quran being the Last Holy Book and to believe that it is complete in all respects and ofcourse to follow the injunctions laid out in Quran.

If a person doesnot believe in any one of them then he cannot be considered a true muslim.
      Enchanted

But do all "muslims'
      prayer
      3. fasting
      4. zakat ( charity)
      5. hajj ( pilgrimage)

or all Muslims have done them e.g. Haj is once in a life time experience & many just hope to do it in the future

The question remains is belief enough OR PROOF OF ALL THAT BEING PERFORMED OR BEING PERFORMMED REGULARLY OR GUARANTEE OF ITS CONTINUED PERFORMANCE INFUTURE be applied for determining who can claim to be muslim.

I think Dr.Zakaria is not justified & fair to label Kalam not having "muslimness'

IT would be better or easier to reject some nomination based on ideological or party affiliation than this .

Comment

well what do u mean by all muslims??...i mean every true muslim does carry out the first four pillars...including prayer, fasting in the month of ramadan and rich enuf true muslims do give charity...and as far as haj or pilgrimage is concerned...then any muslim who has the money and resources to go for haj and doesn't go...well i feel sorry for them because it is not going to help them in the hereafter..

You asked if Abdul Kalam was a muslim or not...well from what i have read i wouldn't be putting him in that circle...but ofcourse i could be wrong because only Allah knows what is in the hearts.

As far as Dr. Zakria being justified or not...i don't know much...i wouldn't be hasty in calling anyone a non-muslim if i don't know him personally.

But as i said in my earlier post a person can only be called a muslim if he believes in Allah and carries out all injunctions laid out by Him in Quran

Comment

<edited>

watch it!

Sentinel.

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited June 23, 2002).]

Comment

A person who says Shahadat is a Muslim. As sister enchanted describe above to have the Imam you need to pray (namaaz), fast, give zakat, hajj and other obligations.

Comment

Originally posted by google:
              A person who says Shahadat is a Muslim. As sister enchanted describe above to have the Imam you need to pray (namaaz), fast, give zakat, hajj and other obligations.
              Ahmediyya's are not considered muslims, and they meet your criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by OldLahori:
                Ahmediyya's are not considered muslims, and they meet your criteria.
                I don’t know much about Ahmediyya but to my understanding it is only Allah SWT that judge who are Muslims and who are not.

Comment

Enchanted : I am sure you know muslim who dont pray one time a day ,may even work on Eid day if it conveniently made to be on a week end!!!!

I doubt all due zakats are being paid by even less than 1/3 muslims

Enchanted there is no way any body can challwenge anyopne other than there own word whether or not he or she is muslim.There is no musklim registratiion .

Except for Pakistan which makes its business to write Ahmedie or Muslim or Non muslim io dont think there is any documentation & KALAM if he is born in muslim family unless he declares himself converting to christian ,HE IS MUSLIM.for worldly purpose .I am not talking about being Allah ko Pyara Musalman ..that is between him/her & allah no one knows.

------------------
                  Father is like the referigerator light .You only notice it when it is fused!

Comment

That is what i am saying...i personally don't like to put ppl in the non-muslim catagory...and as i said b4, only Allah knows what is in the hearts of men...maybe Abdul Kalam is a much better muslim than perceived...BUT, the pillars i have stated above are obligaory upon muslims...if they don't pray..pay zakat and don't go to hajj...then they will b punished by Allah in the hereafter.

Comment

In my opinion Dr.Zakaria is motivated by politics to call names .

Irrespective of wheher or not he is muslim,i respect his patriotism,& service to his country besides being very talented in his field.

There are many muslims that i wish they could be a better a muslim or who dissapoint me below my expectation as a muslim i would have liked them to be.But thats besides the point as he is still a muslim that makes him bad muslim but NOT a NON Muslim

Comment

2. prayer
                        3. fasting
                        4. zakat ( charity)
                        5. hajj ( pilgrimage)

hmmmm so if the Qur'an is complete, where in the Qur'an will you find that a Muslim is one who believes in five 'arkans' or where is the first 'kalima'??
                        JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

A very good question...i am very sorry for the late reply...because when i saw it last ur reply had been deleted and then my computer broke down...well now it is functioning so i can get back to ur question

Okay well in Quran there is no specific mention of the five pillars...but Quran talks abt these five injuctions again and again...does it not??...well thru sunnah we gather the information abt the five pillars. But as u r asking where in Quran is it written well there are numerous verses

I'll quote a few verses

2:238 Guard strictly your (habit of) prayers, especially the Middle Prayer; and stand before Allah in a devout (frame of mind).

5:58 When ye proclaim your call to prayer they take it (but) as mockery and sport; that is because they are a people without understanding.

9:11 But (even so), if they repent, establish regular prayers, and practise regular charity,- they are your brethren in Faith: (thus) do We explain the Signs in detail, for those who understand.

14:31 Speak to my servants who have believed, that they may establish regular prayers, and spend (in charity) out of the sustenance we have given them, secretly and openly, before the coming of a Day in which there will be neither mutual bargaining nor befriending.

62:9 O ye who believe! When the call is proclaimed to prayer on Friday (the Day of Assembly), hasten earnestly to the Remembrance of Allah, and leave off business (and traffic): That is best for you if ye but knew!

well these three verses tell us abt the importance of prayer and charity...now u'll probably say where does it say that muslim is the one who prays or practices charity?? well look again Allah says in verse 9:11 theat if they repent and establish prayer and practice charity they are our brothers in faith...does it not clearly tell how important for muslims are prayers and zakat?

abt fasting there is a very clear cut verse:
                          2:183 O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint,-

2:185 Ramadhan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.
                          well again for hajj and pilgrimage there is a verse for those who believe
                          3:97 In it are Signs Manifest; (for example), the Station of Abraham; whoever enters it attains security; Pilgrimage thereto is a duty men owe to Allah,- those who can afford the journey; but if any deny faith, Allah stands not in need of any of His creatures.

9:3 And an announcement from Allah and His Messenger, to the people (assembled) on the day of the Great Pilgrimage,- that Allah and His Messenger dissolve (treaty) obligations with the Pagans. If then, ye repent, it were best for you; but if ye turn away, know ye that ye cannot frustrate Allah. And proclaim a grievous penalty to those who reject Faith.
                          Now left is the matter of belief in Tauheed and First Kalima...
                          well what is first Kalima? it is simply a statement which a musim makes? NO it is belief that there is no god but Allah and prophet Muhammad is his last messanger...well it is the basis of our religion... u'll ask how...because if u don't believe in Allah being the only God then ofcourse u won't believ in Quran...there dies the muslim in u...secondly if u don't believe in Allah how would u believe in His messanger...thus to believe and to practice Islam the two conditions are very very important...are they not? If u still think that Kalima is not important for a muslim u r most welcome to contradict me...Well belief in Tauheed is the same thing.

well here are a few verses concerning tauheed or oneness of Allah
                          2:163 And your Allah is One Allah. There is no god but He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

3:2 Allah. There is no god but He,-the Living, the Self-Subsisting, Eternal.

3:18 There is no god but He: That is the witness of Allah, His angels, and those endued with knowledge, standing firm on justice. There is no god but He, the Exalted in Power, the Wise.

5:72 They do blaspheme who say: "(Allah) is Christ the son of Mary." But said Christ: "O Children of Israel! worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Whoever joins other gods with Allah,- Allah will forbid him the garden, and the Fire will be his abode. There will for the wrong-doers be no one to help.

here is one in which is mentioned the messenger

3:32 Say: "Obey Allah and His Messenger.: But if they turn back, Allah loveth not those who reject Faith.

3:53 "Our Lord! we believe in what Thou hast revealed, and we follow the Messenger. then write us down among those who bear witness."

3:132 And obey Allah and the Messenger. that ye may obtain mercy.

any more questios...feel free to ask

Comment

Why there is so much differences culturally ethnically religously socially practise wise between Bohra & Shia & Sunni & Agha Khani (ismaili)

Are we close to other type muslims than to non muslims of more cultural closenesse.g. Sindhi Muslim & sindhi Hindu should be more compatible Than a Sunni Sindhi & Ismaili ? or Bohra?(i did not want to star big thread on this )

------------------
                            Clean your Own Mess

Comment

As-Salaam 'alaykum wa-Rahmatullaahe wa-Barakaatuhu

I’m writing this post to clear up a growing misconception regarding the declaration of the Shahaadatayn.

The following extract is taken from islam-qa.com

/*******************************/
                              If a person says Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, but he believes that there is no God, or he believes that there is another god alongside Allaah who controls the universe, or he believes that all the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) apostatized after his death, or other bid’ahs that put a person beyond the pale of Islam, then such people are not sincere in their saying Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, because their bid’ah goes against the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever bears witness that there is no god except Allaah or says Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, will enter Paradise.”
                              The Shahaadatayn must be spoken with sincerity. Listen to what Allaah says concerning the munaafiqeen (interpretation of the meaning):
                              “And when they [the hypocrites] stand up for As-Salaah (the prayer), they stand with laziness and to be seen of men, and they do not remember Allaah but little”
                              [al-Nisa’ 4:142]
                              In the same passage, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
                              “Verily, the hypocrites will be in the lowest depth (grade) of the Fire; no helper will you find for them”
                              [al-Nisa’ 4:145]
                              And Allaah says of them (interpretation of the meaning):
                              “When the hypocrites come to you (O Muhammad), they say: ‘We bear witness that you are indeed the Messenger of Allaah’”
                              [al-Munaafiqoon 63:1]
                              This is merely verbal testimony, but:
                              “Allaah knows that you are indeed His Messenger, and Allaah bears witness that the hypocrites are liars indeed”
                              [al-Munaafiqoon 63:1 – interpretation of the meaning]
                              i.e., that they are lying when they say, “We bear witness that you are indeed the Messenger of Allaah”. For they mention Allaah and bear witness to His Messenger, but their hearts are devoid of that which is uttered by their lips.
                              /*******************************/

If someone knowingly goes against Tauheed (thereby committing major shirk) OR commits an act of kufr that takes a person beyond the pale of Islam, it does not matter whenever they say the Shahaadatayn, that person is NOT a muslim. Lip service to the Shahaadatayn is NOT enough.
                              For example a point was raised regarding the Ahmediyya. They do not believe that the Prophet(saw) is the last Nabi. This is an essential part of our believe, therefore anyone who does not believe after being shown the proofs is NOT a muslim, regardless of whether he says the Shahaadatayn.
                              No one argues that Allaah(swt) knows if a person is a muslim but an individual must know the requirements that come with the Shahaadatayn and then to met those requirements. The responsibility rests with the individual.

Please please read the following book. It is vital every muslim knows about tauheed as it was explained by the Prophet(saw). Lack of knowledge in this area is the single most reason why the Ummah is in the state that it is! http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen.../abutaw_1.html
                              Other very important information on tauheed/aqeedah can be found in the links below. It explains the the kalimah (word) of tauheed, 'La ilaha ill-Allah" according to how the Prophet(saw) taught it and how it was understood by his companions. Please read them as you may not know that you may have certain believes that can take someone outside the fold of Islam (even if you SAY the Shahaadatayn) http://www.islaam.net/display/display.php?category=3 http://www.islaam.com/Section.asp?id=4 http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/introduc...aimiyah_1.html

<http://www.islaam.net>
                              <http://www.islaam.com>
                              <http://www.efatwa.com> http://www.islam-qa.com

Jazzaku Allaah khair for your time.

Wa Salaam 'alaykum wa-Rahmatullaahe wa-Barakaatuhu

Comment

Working...
                              X