• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkish hospital denies treatment to patient wearing headscarf

Salaam Aleykum Brothers and sisters

This article is sickening and shows the implications of ideologically
    following secularism, which is what seems to be happening in Turkey these
    days, with grave consequences for the muslim ummah in turkey.

Turkish hospital denies treatment to patient wearing headscarf
    2002-07-04 18:56:28

Ummahnews
    4 July 2002

Turkish humans rights organisations have announced that they are to take
    Istanbul University Hospital`s administrators to court over the death of 72
    year old Medine Ercan last week.

Hospital administrators at the hospital had denied the seriously ill lady
    life-saving dialysis because they insisted the frail lady reproduce her
    medical card but without a head scarf.

The act, which is said to be in direct contravention of the Geneva
    Declaration, came as a result of a decision made by the University
    Chancellor only a few weeks earlier. The university hospital became the
    first hospital in Turkey to deny treatment to any women simply for wearing a
    head scarf on their medical card.

Hospital doctors were forced to turn the lady away, despite her grave
    condition, as they feared repercussions from the administration if they
    treated her.

The Britain-based medical charity Doctors Worldwide has also urged the
    Turkish Government "to intervene and halt this draconian and ultimately
    fatal decision made by the University".

Ya, Turkey goes too far in their attempt to force their population to adapt a certain lifestyle.

Even non-Muslism Western countries don't go this far as a policy, like the policy in Turkey.

Comment

Link please. I tried finding some mention of this news in the Turkish English press but with no luck. As it stands it sounds awful. It is against any common sense standard.

Comment

Last time they kicked a women out of the parliment for wearing head scarf.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
          Last time they kicked a women out of the parliment for wearing head scarf.
          Yes I remember reading that, and I thought that was paranoic and unreasonable on the Turkish Government part, but the Turkish students were telling me that it is a cultural issue and is being used by people who really want a theocracy in Turkey as a dividing issue, and most Turks understood the significance. However, this goes beyond any politics. It is a simple issue of humanity that a doctor helps someone in need regardless of what they believe in, etc. This goes against the Hippocratic oath of the medical profession. I have a hard time believing that doctors who see human misery day in day out could be so heartless! But then I know I am naive. I would like to submit the news to the AMA and APNA here for condemnation.

[This message has been edited by OldLahori (edited July 07, 2002).]

Comment

Its ironic how Muslims just go from one extreme to another.. Sometimes they become extreme fundementalists like the Taliban, or they become extreme atheists like Turkey. Those that aren't sure like Pakistan, have their own set of problems..Muslims better figure what they want to be, before the sink deeper into the crap hole.

Comment

banning hijab or forcing hijab on women
              like saudis interfere with individual choice.if somebody want to show their cleavage or cover themselves fully it is their choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan Ahmed:
                Its ironic how Muslims just go from one extreme to another.. Sometimes they become extreme fundementalists like the Taliban, or they become extreme atheists like Turkey. Those that aren't sure like Pakistan, have their own set of problems..Muslims better figure what they want to be, before the sink deeper into the crap hole.
                Turks are far from being atheists! They are trying to implement a separation of mosque from state, and not with much success I might add. The turkish army is enforcing the secular regime but it is becoming clearer by the day that a majority of turks are against that.

Comment

Well, I guess the best term to describe them would be extreme secularists. Turks have the potential to be a great society, if they allow for more human rights. They should be trying to work Islam into the secular system rather then trying to drive it into the ground. They have the potential to be an example for all Muslim countries to follow...If only their govt wasn't so damned insecure.

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan Ahmed:
                    Well, I guess the best term to describe them would be extreme secularists. Turks have the potential to be a great society, if they allow for more human rights. They should be trying to work Islam into the secular system rather then trying to drive it into the ground. They have the potential to be an example for all Muslim countries to follow...If only their govt wasn't so damned insecure.
                    Do you think NATO (European) countries would allow Turkey to do so? Turkey is attempting so desparately to remain a member of NATO (i think they are part of NATO), and European countries are trying to kick out (or keep away) Turkey from NATO. Turkey is trying to please Europe and NOT Allah SWT so they may go in any direction they want to do it.

------------------
                    May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
                      Do you think NATO (European) countries would allow Turkey to do so? Turkey is attempting so desparately to remain a member of NATO (i think they are part of NATO), and European countries are trying to kick out (or keep away) Turkey from NATO. Turkey is trying to please Europe and NOT Allah SWT so they may go in any direction they want to do it.

They are a member of NATO, but I dont think they have much of a role in it. I do know the European Union is unwilling to welcome the openly since EU is Christian. But, it is good that the EU has set some hurdles in the way. One of them is the improve the treatment of the Kurds. Hopefully,Turkey will see the light.

Comment

I am trying to get the link to the original story. I am told that ummahnews has biased the story a lot. The facts are really different. If I do get the original incident report, I will post it. The link to the HRW report 2002 below also lists how severely the Turkish government views the Headscarf issue. Apparently in Turkey this issue is a "code" for other issues with the rule of the Generalissmos.

The link to the original post is: http://www.ummahnews.com/viewarticle.php?sid=3738
                        http://www.hrw.org/wr2k2/europe19.html
                        The ban on wearing the headscarf was applied with increasing severity against students and civil servants and extended to private universities. A change in regulations prohibited any student wearing a headscarf from sitting for the June university examinations, a move that human rights groups criticized as violating the students' right to freedom of religion, conscience, and thought. Teachers and doctors were also dismissed for wearing the headscarf on duty.

Comment

Before our religious zealots go criticizing Turkey over women's scarf wearing, they ought to look at themselves... Ordering a girl to be gang raped in public and then dragged naked around the village...

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                            Before our religious zealots go criticizing Turkey over women's scarf wearing, they ought to look at themselves... Ordering a girl to be gang raped in public and then dragged naked around the village...
                            The people who ordered that gang rape are not the ones criticizing Turkey over their inhumane treatment of muslims.

Think before you speak.

[This message has been edited by Maniac (edited July 08, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                            X