Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthdays - Celebrating the Prophet's birthday: Milaad an-Nabee

Assalaamu ‘alaikum waraHmatullaah,

Innal hamdalillaah was-salaat was-salaam 'alaa rasoolillaah.

This is a response to the 'birthdays' thread in which one of the brothers suggested that celebrating the Messenger's (salallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) birthday is a permissible action in Islaam.

However, what has been determined is that there is no authentic indication or proof from the Sunnah to suggest that ‘Milaadun-Nabee’ is a practice that was carried out by the Prophet (salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) or his Companions (radhi ‘allaahu anhum). If anything, the evidence from Qur’aan and Sunnah rejects such a tradition as a newly invented matter which is not a part of this beautiful Deen of Allaah's.

I would like to apologise for the length of the following article. But at the same time I feel it necessary that this topic needs to be addressed comprehensively, as far too many people are falling into the danger of being led astray by acknowledging as well as implementing such a ritual, that has no roots in Islaam.

What I am about to present is from the book At-Tahdeer minal-Bid’ah (pp 3-6) written by Shaikh Abdul Azeez ibn Baaz (raheemuallaah) who was the most prominent scholar of our time. May Allaah (subhaan wa ta‘aala) forgive him and have mercy upon him and grant him all the bounties in Firdose. aameen. And I ask Allaah that He bestow a firm understanding of Islaam into our hearts. aameen.

I would also like to apologise in advance for any typing mistakes, and may Allaah forgive and rectify my shortcomings.

The Ruling Concerning Celebrating Milaadun-Nabee

All praise is due to Allaah and the blessing of Allaah and His peace be upon the Messenger, and upon his Family, his Companions and all those who follow his guidance. After that:

It is not permissible to celebrate Milaadun-Nabee (the birthday of the Prophet salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam), nor the birthday of anyone else, since this is from the acts of bid’ah (innovations) that have been newly invented into the Religion [1].

Neither did Allaah’s Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, nor the Rightly-Guided-Khaleefahs (successors), nor the Companions, may Allaah be pleased with them all, nor any of their followers from the first three excellent generations, celebrate this day – and they were the most knowledgeable of people concerning the Sunnah (the Prophetic guidance), and had the greatest love for Allaah’s Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam and were foremost in following his Sharee’ah (Prescribed Laws).

It has been authentically established from the Prophet salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam that he said: “Whosoever introduces into this affair of ours, that which is not part of it, will have it rejected.” [2]

In another narration, he salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said: “Hold fast to my Sunnah (guidance) and the way of the Rightly-Guided-Khaleefahs after me, cling to it tightly. And beware of newly invented matters, for every newly invented matter is an innovation and every innovation is misguidance.” [3]

So these two narrations contain a strong warning against innovations in the religion, and acting upon them. This is why Allaah – the One free from all defects – says in His Clear Book: “And whatever the Messenger gives you, take it. Whatever he forbids you from, then keep away from it.” [soorah al-Hadeed 59:7].

Allaah – the Mighty and Majestic – said: “Let those beware who withstand the command of the Prophet salallaahu alaihi wa sallam, unless some trials and afflictions befall them, or unless they are afflicted with painful punishment.” [Soorah an-Noor 24:63].

Allaah – the Most Perfect – said: “Indeed in the Prophet salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, you have a beautiful example to follow, for whoseoever hopes in Allaah and the Last day, and remembers Allaah plentifully.” [Soorah al-Ahzaab 33:21].

Allaah – the Most High – said: “And the first to embrace Islaam from the Muhaajirs and the Ansaar, and those who followed them in goodness, beliefs and actions. Allaah is well-pleased with them, and they are well pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens of Paradise, beneath which rivers flow, to live therein forever. That is the supreme achievement.” [Soorah at-Tawabah 9:100].

And Allaah – the Most High – said: “This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your way of life.” [Soorah al-Maa’idah 5:3]

The versus with this meaning are plenty. So to accept this celebration, or any other newly invented act of worship, implies that Allaah – the Most Perfect – did not complete and perfect the religion for this Ummah, and that the Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam did not completely convey to his Ummah what was necessary regarding their duties, until the advent of those who came later and innovated in the religion of Allaah that for which they had no permission, claiming that they would draw closer to Allaah by such innovations. And this – without doubt – is a great danger and amounts to criticising Allaah – the Most Perfect – and His Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. For Allaah – the One free from all defects – has indeed perfected His religion for his servants, and has completed His favour upon them. And the Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam has clearly conveyed the Message, not leaving any way that leads to Paradise, nor any way that distances a person from the Fire, except that he explained it to His Ummah. This has been established in an authentic narration, from Abdullaah ibn ‘Amr radhiallaahu ‘anhu, in which Allaah’s Messenger salllaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said: “Allaah did not send any Prophet except that it was his duty to inform his Ummah of the good that he knew, and to warn about the evils that he knew.” [4]

It is known that our Prophet salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam is the best of all the Prophets and the last of them and the most perfect of them with regards to conveying the Message and advising the people. So if celebrating his milaad (birthday) was a part of the religion that Allaah – the Most Perfect – chose, then the Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam would have most certainly explained it to his Ummah, or he would have celebrated it himself or his noble Companions radhiallaahu ‘anhum would have celebrated it. However, since nothing like this happened, then we know that the celebration of milaad has nothing to do with Islaam whatsoever. Rather, it is from those innovations which the Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam warned his Ummah from, as has been shown in the preceding narrations.

There is another authentic narration similar in meaning to the two preceding ones, and it is his salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam’s saying in his Jumu’ah khutbah (Friday sermon): “Indeed, the best speech is the Book of Allaah, and the best guidance and example is that of Muhammad salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. And the worst affairs are the newly invented ones, and every newly invented matter is an innovation, and every innovation is misguidance.” [5]

Due to this, a group of Scholars rejected the practice of milaad and warned against it, acting upon the aforementioned proofs, and their like. However, some of the later Scholars differed, in that they allowed such a practice, providing it does not entail any sinful and evil matters; such as exagerating in the Praise of Allaah’s Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, or free mixing between men and women, or playing the musical instruments and singing, and other such matters which are rejected by the pure Sharee’ah (Prescribed Law). They think that such a practice is a bid’ah hasanah ( a good innovation in the religion). However, the Sharee’ah principle is: whenever any dispute arises amongst the people, then the issue should be referred back to the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger, Muhammad salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. Allaah – the Mighty and Majestic – said: “O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger and those in authority amongst you. If you differ in anything amongst yourselves, then refer it back for judgement to Allaah and His Messenger, if you do truly believe in Allaah and the Last day. That is better and more befitting for final determination.” [Soorah an-Nisaa 4:59]

Allaah – the Most High – said: “And in whatever you differ, the judgement is with Allaah.” [Soorah ash-Shoora 42:10].

So if we refer this issue – about the validity of celebrating milaad – back to the Book of Allaah, we find that the Book (i.e. the Qur’aan) commands us to follow the Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam in that which he brought, and it warns us against that which he prohibited. It also informs us that Allaah – the Most Perfect – has perfected the religion of Islaam for this Ummah. Thus, from this angle, there is nothing in what the Messenger came with concerning this celebration, and therefore it cannot be part of the religion which Allaah perfected for us and ordered us to adhere to by following the Messenger.

Then If we turn to the Sunnah of the Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam we do not find in it that he salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam celebrated his own birthday, nor ordered its celebration, nor do we find any of the Companions radhiallaahu ‘anhum celebrating it! Therefore, it will be absolutely clear to anyone who has the slightest insight and is desirous of the truth and justice, that the practice of celebrating the Milaadun-Nabee (the birthday of the Prophet) is not part of the religion, rather it is bid’ah (innovation) which we have been warned against and ordered to abandon. It is also a form of blind imitation of the Jews and Christians in their festivals. Therefore, the sensible person should not be deceived by the large number of people, from the various lands, who practice this, since the truth is not known by mere numbers, but the truth is known by the Sharee’ah proofs. Allaah – the Most High – said concerning the jews and the christians: “And they say: None shall enter Paradise unless he be jew or christian! These are their own desires. Say to them: Bring your proof if you are indeed truthful.” [Soorah al-Baqarah 2:111].

And Allaah – the Most High – said: “And if you were to obey most of those on earth, they would mislead you far away from Allaah’s path.” [Soorah al-An’aam 6:116].

Most of these milaad celebrations – as well as being an innovation – involve other types of evils as well; such as the free mixing between men and women, singing and playing musical instruments, and the drinking and smoking of intoxicants. There are in such celebrations something which is worse than all this, and it is the greater form of Shirk (associating partners in the worship of Allaah), through exagerating about Allaah’s Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, or the dead awliyaa (pious servants of Allaah), by supplicating to them, seeking their aid and help, or by believing that they have the knowledge of the ghayb (hidden Unseen), and other such matters of kufr (disbelief). Whereas it is authentically related from Allaah’s Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam that he said: “Beware of ghuloo (exaggeration) in the religion. For indeed those who came before you were destroyed due to their exaggerating in the religion.” [6].

And he ‘alaihi-salaatu was-salaam also said; “Do not over-elevate me as the christians over elevated Jesus son of Mary, but rather I am just a slave of Allaah. So call me the slave of Allaah and His Messenger.” [7].

One of the strangest matters is that a great number of people who actively participate in this innovated celebration, and who defend it vigorously, do not take care of fulfilling those matters which Allaah has made obligatory upon them, such as praying the five daily prayers, and this does not even bother many of them at all. Indeed many of them do not even think that they are committing a great sin! There is no doubt that this is due to their weak eemaan (faith). We ask Allaah to protect and forgive us and all of the Muslims.

One of the strangest matters also is that some of them believe that Allaah’s Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam is actually present at their milaad celebrations, so consequently the perticipants stand to greet and welcome him. However, this is from the greatest of lies and worst of ignorance, because the Messenger sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam shall neither come out of his grave before the Day of Judgement, nor will he meet anyone, nor attend their gatherings. Rather, he shall remain in his grave until the Day of Judgement, whilst his noble rooh (soul) resides in the highest of places with his Lord in the home of the exalted, as Allaah – the Most high – said: “Then you shall surely die, then you shall be raised-up again on the Day of Ressurection.” [Soorah al-Mu’minoon 23:15-16].

The Prophet salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said: “I will be the leader of the children of Aadam on the Day of Resurrection, and I will be the first to whom the earth will split open, and I will be the first to intercede and the first whose intercession will be accepted.” [8]

So this noble aayah (verse) and this noble hadeeth – and those verses and ahadeeth with a similar meaning – prove that the Prophet salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam and others that have also died, will only come out of their graves on the Day of Resurrection. And this is a matter about which there is an agreement amongst the Muslim Scholars, there being no difference between them. So it is a must upon every Muslim, to carefully consider these matters and to be aware of those innovations and devaitions that have been introduced by the ignorant ones and their like, for which Allaah has not sent down any authority. It is Allaah’s help that is sought, and He alone is relied upon, and there is no might, nor any power, except with Allaah.

As for sending the salaah and the salaam (invoking praises and blessings of peace) upon Allaah’s Messenger salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, then this is from one of the best ways of drawing closer to Allaah and from those actions which are righteous. Allaah – the Most High – said: “Indeed Allaah sends His salaah upon the Prophet (i.e Allaah praises the Prophet to the angels), as do the angels (by supplicating for forgiveness for him) o you who believe! Send your salaah upon him and invoke the best salaam (blessings of peace) for him.” [Soorah al-Azhaab 33:56]

The Prophet salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said: “Whoever sends a single blessing upon me, then Allaah will send upon him ten blessings.” [9]

So this is prescribed at all times, particularly at the end of every prayer. Rather, a group from the people of knowledge actually consider it obligatory in the final sitting of every prayer, and consider it highly recommended at other times, such as after the adhaan (call to prayer), and after mentioning the Prophet, salallaahu alaihi wa sallam’s name, and also on the day of Jumu’ah (Friday), as is proven by the various authentic narrations.

May Allaah help us and All the Muslims to attain a sound understanding of the religion, and that He favours us all by causing us to cling to the Sunnah and causing us to be aware of bid’ah (innovation in the religion). Indeed He is the Most Generous, the Most Kind. And may the salaah and salaam (Allaah’s praises and blessings of peace) be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his Family, his Companions and his followers.

------------------------------------
    1. Ash-Shaatibee said in al-‘Itisaam (1/39), about the technical definition of the word bid’ah (innovations): “A newly invented way in the Religion, in imitation of, or corresponding to the Sharee’ah, through which nearness to Allaah is sought. Such action is not supported by any authentic proof – neither the action itself, nor the way in which it is performed.”
    2. Related by al-Bukhaaree (2/166) and Muslim (5/133), from ‘Aaishah radhi’allaahu ‘anhaa.
    3. Saheeh: related by Ahmad (4/126) and Abu Daawood (no.4607), from al-‘Irbaad ibn Saariyah radhi’allaahu ‘anhu. It was declared authentic by al-Haafidh Ibn hajr in Takhreej Ahadeeth Mukhtasar Ibnul-Haajib (1/137).
    4. Related by Muslim in his Saheeh (no. 1844)
    5. Related by Muslim (6/153), from Jaabir ibn ‘Abdullaah radhi’allaahu ‘anhu
    6. Saheeh: Relatedby Ahmad (1/215) and Ibn Maajah (no. 3064), from Ibn Abbaas radhi’allaahu ‘anhu. It was authenticated by al-Haafidh Ibn Tayniyyah in [i]Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa (3/383).
    7. Related by al-Bukhaaree (no 3445) and Muslim (no. 1691), from Umar radhi’allaah ‘ahnu.
    8. Related by Muslim (7/59), from Abu Hurayrah radhi’allaahu ‘anhu.
    9. Related by Muslim (no. 408), from Abu Harayrah radhi’allaahu anhu.

[This message has been edited by Hasnain (edited June 23, 2002).]

Walikum Salam W'r W'b;

Br., I have a few questions. I inquired in another thread as well but recieved no response, maybe you can help me out. Bid'ah refers to innovations in a religious context, but many practices (such as celebrating your own birthday) have no religious context at all, what of things such as these?

Another norm amongst us muslims is the use of the term Brother/Sister(Akhee/Ukhtee) etc., does this have any basis in Islamic law? In my limited knowledge, most ahadiths that I've come across never show the Prophet(PBUH) using the term Brother to refer to another companion, and since Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) is the supreme example to follow, why are we doing a Bid'ah here? Maybe there is a background to calling the other Brother/Sister which I haven't come across, if so maybe you could share it with me?

Comment

well mahiwal i hope this answers confusions of urs and others

Question:
      I have heard from a local Ustadz that it is a bid'ah if we celebrate the Holy Prophet Maulid. This bid'ah he said is bid'ah dholalah, and the person who practise bid'ah dholalah will end up in Hell. Can you explain this sitiuation, what is your opinion of Muslim celebrate the Holy Prophet's birthday by reading the "Maulid"?
      Answer:
      Dear Br. M. As-salaamu alaykum. There is a big difference between celebrating and considering Prophet Muhammad's (pbuh) birthdate as a Muslim holiday, and between mentioning it or remembering it when it occurs, whereby the Muslims reflect on it, the same way like they would reflect on any other occasion in Islamic history such as a battle, or a victory, or a loss, or a massacre, or a courageous stand, etc. In the first instance, it is a bidaa, in the second, it is not. Please note that there are certain Muslim communities that truly behave un-Islamically during Prophet Muhammad's (pbuh) birthday. They dance on the streets, gather in un-Islamic ways, and introduce practices to the religion that have nothing to do with the religion. All of their acts are considered Haram. However, it is allowed to remember the Prophet's birthday, to be rejoiced about it, and to commemorate as long as the Islamic guidelines are respected. It has been reported by Ibn-al-Jazariy that even Abou Lahab, who is the disbeliever that the Qur'an condemns in Surah 111, he (Abou Lahab) was still rewarded for being happy for the birth of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Therefore, if a non-believer is rewarded for being happy for the Prophet's birth, then the Muslims surely have the right to be rejoiced on this date too. Therefore, this is an occasion to renew and refresh people's knowledge that it is important to love the Prophet and to follow his path. Thank you for asking and God knows best.
      Source:
      IslamiCity

Comment

Well if you beleive that birthday of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) can be celecbrated in some "ISLAMIC" ways then please try to get the exact date for it. It is still disputed among historians.

One more thing is that when we take one step toward bidah (an act which people do thinking it religous but infact it is not) it give others aoportunity to go further especially in a society like Pakistan where Islamic knowledge of common man is so poor.

The third thing is that nowhere else in the world it is celebrated except in Pakistan. The reason is not there love with Prophet but in fact purely political. It is unfortunate that they just want to show more people on the road in comparison to 9-10 Muharram.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Oh God....Phir vohi aap logon ka purana Rona.....

We sunnies have had many debates with Ur Ulimas but they can never prove it wrong.

Without going in debate of when it was started....just one question....

Very basic logic....
          If we can have big birthday parties of our loving ones borthers, sisters, sons, daughters where we do all un-islamic things then .......Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Can't we celebrate Milad Sharif where we don't do any un-Islamic thing..

People like you use all their energy to stop milad sharif,,,,but do nothing to stop un Islamic Birthday parties within your own families.

Comment

Are you talking about me?!
            Bless you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahiwal:
              Walikum Salam W'r W'b;

Br., I have a few questions. I inquired in another thread as well but recieved no response, maybe you can help me out. Bid'ah refers to innovations in a religious context, but many practices (such as celebrating your own birthday) have no religious context at all, what of things such as these?

Another norm amongst us muslims is the use of the term Brother/Sister(Akhee/Ukhtee) etc., does this have any basis in Islamic law? In my limited knowledge, most ahadiths that I've come across never show the Prophet(PBUH) using the term Brother to refer to another companion, and since Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) is the supreme example to follow, why are we doing a Bid'ah here? Maybe there is a background to calling the other Brother/Sister which I haven't come across, if so maybe you could share it with me?
              Asalam O Alaikum,
              Its kind of weird, but just the day before i was having this really interesting conversation with this person, who thought it was "ridiculous" to call each other brothers/sisters. He had his arguments, but the one thing that I really like about addressing the other Muslim with the tag of "brother" or "sister" is that it gives that due respect. I dont know, maybe it is bid'ah. who knows? Mayb it derived from Nuns being called sisters, and maybe we immitated Kufrs. I am not sure.
              But, in this day and age, at this time, islam has become so weak in our lives, that we hardly follow any of the commandments that Allah expect us to follow.
              There are so many interactions between women and a na-mehram Man, to put boundaries between the two, "brother/sister" thing evolved.
              Really Mahiwal, i do not have the authority or the reasons to tell u why it came in to practice. I see it as a positive thing. Then again, its All on niyat.
              Allah ul Alam

JazakAllah.

PS: I will ask u the same question that i keep asking other guppies in this forum...is this issue of (calling each other brother/sister) really that big of an issue in islam?

[This message has been edited by Qaswa (edited June 24, 2002).]

Comment

Another norm amongst us muslims is the use of the term Brother/Sister(Akhee/Ukhtee) etc., does this have any basis in Islamic law?
                Ibrahim says: Wa Alaikum Salaam wa Rahmathullaahe wa Barakaathuhu

Dear Brother and Sisters

All of mankind had been created from a single parent , hence immaterial of our ethnicity, We as humankinds are brothers and sisters to each other . Nevertheless blood relations have closer ties and since we do have a strong desire and natural inclination to divide according to color, language and attitude that becomes part of our trial on this planet. In other words those that are able to overcome this establish brotherhoods that are beyond ethnicity and such people are the Muslims who have understood Islam.

Allah subhaan wa ta'aala says:

49:13 O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female and made you into nations and tribes that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise each other). Verily the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

21:92 Verily this Brotherhood of yours is a single Brotherhood and I am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore serve Me (and no other).

93 But (later generations) cut off their affair (of unity) one from another: (yet) will they all return to Us.

23: 52 And verily this Brotherhood of yours is a single Brotherhood and I am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore fear Me (and no other).

49:10 The believers are but a single Brotherhood: So make peace and reconciliation between your two (contending) brothers: And fear Allah that ye may receive Mercy.
                Ibrahim says hence when Allah subhaan wa ta'aala consider us ( Muslims as brothers and sisters) , it is understood we should also treat and address each other as Brother or Sister, even though we are not blood relations.

Such was the brotherhood of Islam that in the beginning even the wealth was shared amongst non blood relations until Allah subhaan wa ta'aala, revealed an ayat to ensure that blood relations were given priority in inheritance

Kindly read what was revealed…………

33:6 The Prophet is closer to the Believers than their own selves and his wives are their mothers. Blood-relations among each other have closer personal ties in the Decree of Allah than (the Brotherhood of) Believers and Muhajirs: nevertheless do ye what is just to your closest friends: such is the writing in the Decree (of Allah).

Thus the command from Allah subhaan wa ta'aala is that we being a single brotherhood , we must learn to accept each other like as if they were our own brother or sister and treat them as such immaterial of ethnicity.

Until we can achieve this, Islam cannot prosper nor will Allah subhaan wa ta'aala enrich us until we change and remove this barriers that was established for us by the unbelievers and shaitan .

Let us remember.

21:92 Verily this Brotherhood of yours is a single Brotherhood and I am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore serve Me (and no other).

93 But (later generations) cut off their affair (of unity) one from another: (yet) will they all return to Us.

Hence establish brotherhood and what better way than not only addressing each other brother or sister but actually considering them as one and treating them as one.

Hope that helps

Was salaam
                Ibrahim

2:286 On no soul doth Allah place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray): "Our Lord! condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; help us against those who stand against faith."

Comment

JazakAllahu wa'ahsan'ul Jaza Br. Ibrahim; that was thoroughly helpful. Maybe you could answer my other question as well, about how things which have no religious context (such as birthdays) can be classified as Bid'ah.

[This message has been edited by Mahiwal (edited June 24, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Mahiwal:
                    Bid'ah refers to innovations in a religious context, but many practices (such as celebrating your own birthday) have no religious context at all, what of things such as these?
                    Ibrahim says : AsSalaamu 'alaikum wa-Rahmatullaahe wa-Barakaatuhu,

Dear all,

The Qur’an relates to various events in the past as an example for us to understand the reality of what we ( humankind) are capable of inventing and committing as we progress that will finally lead to our destructions when not checked. .

Here we are specifically pointed to .

28: 43 We did reveal to Moses the Book after We had destroyed the earlier generations (to give) Insight to men and Guidance and Mercy that they might receive admonition.

6: 6 See they not how many of those before them We did destroy? Generations We had established on the earth in strength such as We have not given to you for whom We poured out rain from the skies in abundance and gave (fertile) streams flowing beneath their (feet): yet for their sins We destroyed them and raised in their wake fresh generations (to succeed them).

Ibrahim says: thus it is obvious that when we sin, we will receive due recompense for such actions. Here one must understand, it is not the ones who starts the innovations or misconceptions that will suffer most but those that had carried on with it, adding on to it more and more as generations progresses until there comes a time when what was originally believed and what it ended up as, are miles apart.

This is and has been the customary tract for all innovations that had not been sanctioned.

Why is this the case?

Simply because we human beings do not totally communicate everything that we do or know to our children, in other words one may start something on the notion that he/she is only intending to do it, such and such on the basis that he /she is fully aware of its limitations but his children are not told as to what are its limitations or intentions , hence as times passes , they start to infringe upon it and similarly their children also infringe upon it and their children infringe upon it . Little by little it moth balls into a monster that was NEVER the intent of the one who invented it.

Thus innovations in religion have to be prevented in order to ensure that future generations are not misled.

We may consider this minor or that minor, but this has been repeated again and again by mankind and had led to entire generations being destroyed on account of what was once considered minor, which ended up overtaking the worship due to Allah subhaan wa ta'aala and taking the commemorations of saints and prophets as more worthy, as is the case of Hinduism and Christianity

Similarly the celebration of birthdays on the private scale has indeed blossomed into what the Jews and Christians are doing today in their celebrations what gurantee is there that our children will not imitate those some time in the future? Thus we need to prevent them, such that we will not end up like the Jews and Christians.

Allah (subhaan wa ta'aala ) knows best
                    Was salaam

Ibrahim

{b} take account of yourself before you are asked to give account [/b]

Comment

Ibrahim, Asalam ualikum W'r W'b; I believe the gist of your argument was that minor things can escalate into much bigger innovations. If so, I find this very logical as can be seen from the situation in many westernized nations.

Comment

Jazak'Allahu Khaiy'run Akhee Ibrahim

------------------
                        'Rabbee zidnee`ilmaa'
                        My Lord! Increase me in knowledge.[20:114]

The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) said:
                        "Whoever sets out on a path to seek knowledge, Allaah will make easy his path to Paradise."
                        [Saheeh Muslim]

Comment

Milaad can be argued both ways & it boils down to intentions and how you want to celebrate it.

Ahmadiyya Muslim community celebrates a day every month called 'Yomay-Sirat-un-Nabi' It is not specified on one particular day but the local community arrange it according to their convenience. In other words, one day of the month, at their own convenience, Muslims gather to remember the great prophet of all, may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him.

On this day, kids, young men, women & elders in their own circles and meetings are educated about the sunnah of the Holy Prophet (saw). There are speeches, sometimes a quiz competition and things like that.

In the month of Milad, the same it is celebrated in a similar fashion but on a bigger scale; rather than small communities doing it on there own a large gathering (mostly on a city level) celebrates the day - not necessarily on specific dates again.

No fancy flashy lighting is done, no firearms go off, no special dishes are cooked etc. Only special remembrance.

[This message has been edited by ahmadjee (edited June 25, 2002).]
                          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Who would answer my question, I have to repost it
                            Originally posted by Romance:
                            Oh God....Phir vohi aap logon ka purana Rona.....

We sunnies have had many debates with Ur Ulimas but they can never prove it wrong.

Without going in debate of when it was started....just one question....

Very basic logic....
                            If we can have big birthday parties of our loving ones borthers, sisters, sons, daughters where we do all un-islamic things then .......Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

People like you use all their energy to stop milad sharif,,,,but do nothing to stop un Islamic Birthday parties within your own families.

Comment

Originally posted by Romance:

Ibrahim says: Salaams to all

Dear Romance. The difference should be obvious. You see all thieves knowingly commits theft and the consequences of such an act is also obvious . Someday he/she may get caught and will have to bear the penalty on his/her own

On the other hand when robbing others is promoted or gets encouraged in a culture the entire sect/race/tribe had been misled to become thieves and here the consequences of such an action cannot be condoned.

Meaning If you steal you alone will bear the consequences but you cannot be allowed to set up shop to teach others to steal as a profession .

If that was not CLEAR, let me just say those who waste their wealth on celebrating the birthdays out of pride/envy or desire to imitate others every year , will bear the responsibilities for their own actions but those who incorporate birthdays into Islam as a norm to be adopted by all , had misled Muslims as a whole and their punishment would be increased as they have misled others.

Why is this the case?

You only need to observe what others do as a part of their faith and worship

For instance

1) we see people beating themselves and parading the streets
                              2) we see people pulling chariots with images and objects that belong to saints
                              3) we see people piecing themselves with arrows and the like
                              4) we see people carrying dolls and statues from one point to another
                              5) we see people nailing themselves to the cross
                              6) we see people rolling from one place to another
                              7) we see people standing upside down
                              8) we see people keeping their beards and hair uncut forever
                              9) we see people kissing the feet of others or statutes
                              10) we see people forgetting the Creator and sanctioning their saints and anchorites
                              11) we see people worshiping cows to all sorts of insane figurines
                              12) we see people claiming they are next to God by chanting such and such
                              13) we see people swirling with music

I can go on and on… And none of the above was commanded in the scriptures but are inventions of the followers

Ibrahim says: Guess from where or when or how all this came to be established as part of religion? and you will have your answer as to why we MUST NOT encourage such celebrations in the community level which will become distorted to any of the above as time passes.

Hope that helps

Was salaam
                              Ibrahim

Who can protest and dose not is an accomplice in the act

Comment

Working...
                              X