The Universal Aarti - Om Jai Jagdish Hare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Universal Aarti - Om Jai Jagdish Hare

yesterday on the way to school I was chanting "Om jai Jagdish hare, Swami jai Jagdish hare, Bhakt jano ke sankat, Das jano ke sankat Kshan men door kare, Om jai Jagdish hare..." and my friend tells me to stop singing it because it's a sin, I tried arguing with him that it doesn't have any shirk in it, it's only praising the one God... still I couldn't convice him...

Is it really a sin to chant hymns from other religions if they don't contain any shirk??

does any one have the englsh translation to it?

thanx.

Originally posted by Paki Prince:
    yesterday on the way to school I was chanting "Om jai Jagdish hare, Swami jai Jagdish hare, Bhakt jano ke sankat, Das jano ke sankat Kshan men door kare, Om jai Jagdish hare..." and my friend tells me to stop singing it because it's a sin, I tried arguing with him that it doesn't have any shirk in it, it's only praising the one God... still I couldn't convice him... Is it really a sin to chant hymns from other religions if they don't contain any shirk??
    Ibrahim says Yes! Not because it does not contain any shirk but because the words used alludes to certain god or gods that had been imagined by the practitioners and not how they may be interpreted in general. .

Generally this praise of Shri Vishnu means :-

Oh Lord of the whole Universe
    Mighty Lord of the whole Universe
    All Thy devotees' agonies
    All Thy devotees' sorrows
    Instantly Thou banisheth
    Oh Lord of the whole Universe

Lets break down and examine the words

Om in Sanskrit can mean:

a word of solemn affirmation and respectful assent , sometimes translated by `" yes , verily , so be it "' (and in this sense compared with Amen

it is placed at the commencement of most Hind˜ works , and as a sacred exclamation may be uttered [but not so as to be heard by ears profane] at the beginning and end of a reading of the Vedas or previously to any prayer

it is also regarded as a particle of auspicious salutation [Hail!]

om appears first in the Upanishads as a mystic monosyllable , and is there set forth as the object of profound religious meditation , the highest spiritual efficacy being attributed not only to the whole word but also to the three sounds a , u , m , of which it consists

in later times om is the mystic name for the Hind˜ triad , and represents the union of the three gods , viz. a (Vish²u) , u (¼iva) , m (Brahm‚)

om is usually called pra²ava , more rarely ak»ara , or ek‚k»ara , and only in later times o°k‚ra) VS. ¼Br. ChUp. &c.

(Buddhists place om at the beginning of their vidy‚ »a·ak»ar‹ or mystical formulary in six syllables [viz. om ma²i padme h˜°]

Ibrahim says: fundamentally Hindus belief it refers to Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma, the hindu trinity gods depending on which god is their favorite god

The universal God in Hinduism is Brahman and Om or AUM does not allude to Brahman but more to the hindu trinity gods. Invocation to most gods begin with this syllable. For instance we have Om Namaha Shivaya, Hari Om, Om Shanti etc.

BUT in this particular instance , it is about Swami jai jagdish = Vishnu and not about Brahman as this prayer is particularly called Shri Vishnu Aarti

This is not an UNIVERSAL PRAYER as the Hindus are trying to market but a praise sang to Vishnu .

Jai = to wane , perish

jagat.h = universe
    jagataH = of the world
    jagataaM = of the Universe
    Jagadish = the universal supreme is one of Kishna’s names.
    Jagadish =Lord of the Universe is also one of Shiva’s names

hence Jagdish does not translate to universe but is more the name of the swami /god that is being honored here.

hara = shankara
    hareH = of Lord KrishhNa
    hari = meaning the Savior of devotees is also one of Krishna’s names
    hariiH = VishNu
    hari = VishNu
    hari = meaning The thief is one of VishNu’s name

Ibrahim says hence anyone who say this words are worshipping/praising hindu gods without knowing what are its true meanings.

14: 28 Hast thou not turned thy vision to those who have changed the favor of Allah into blasphemy and caused their people to descend to the House of Perdition?

29 Into Hell? They will burn therein an evil place to stay in!

30 And they set up (idols) as equal to Allah to mislead (men) from the Path! Say: "Enjoy (your brief power)! But verily ye are making straightway for Hell!"

4: 116 Allah forgiveth not (the sin of) joining other gods with Him: but He forgiveth whom He pleaseth other sins than this: one who joins other gods with Allah hath strayed far far away (from the right).

117 (The pagans) leaving Him call but upon female deities: they call but upon Satan the persistent rebel!

Hope that makes it CLEAR as to why it would be erroneous to say things where the true meanings are not known to the person uttering it.

Regards
    Ibrahim

minds are like parachutes - they only function when they are open

Comment

Jazak'Allah khairun brother Ibrahim

May Allah forgive me. Ameen.

Comment

ibrahim how do you explain "advaita"
        in hinduism ? also i am confused by "duality"
        "nonduality" "nirguna". do these words
        appear in vedas?

In monotheism a single entity, God, created this universe and
        sustains it.
        There is nothing in the universe that is "new" or "surprising" to this
        entity. Since
        everything was created by it and from it, there is nothing that can be
        *apart* from
        it. Was the universe created then for its amusement? Was God bored? Now
        think
        about it - if you were God, what would you be doing now? Why you would
        be
        suffering from Supreme Loneliness ofcourse! This is no ordinary
        loneliness - it
        lasts for ever!

Polytheism on the other hand has several equally "powerful" entities
        in charge
        of creating and sustaining the physical as well as spiritual universes.
        These
        entities may work toward a common goal or not. Such an universe is far
        more
        interesting.

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited June 30, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
          ibrahim how do you explain "advaita" in hinduism ?
          Ibrahim says: Greetings of Peace to one and all

rvikz, what is there to explain? This are theories created by people who THINK that is what scripture is saying which are refuted by ( daviata Vedanta another theory created by hindus opposing advaita Vedanta theory) and most of all by the revealed scripture.

People generally end up creating their own theories based on the information available to them and their ability to digest them , hence Shankaracharya, the founder of Advaita Vedanta, ended up concluding that everything is a virtual reality ( illusory nature of the universe) and only God alone exists meaning everyone and everything is God, which is a fundamental hindu folly.

The teachings of Sankara can be summed up in half a verse:

“Brahma Satyam Jagan Mithya Jivo Brahmaiva Na Aparah—

Brahman (the Absolute) is alone real; this world is unreal; and the Jiva or the individual soul is non-different from Brahman.”

This is the quintessence of his philosophy.

Anyway it is only philosophy and philosophers can create all kinds of philosophies which may be utterly false.

also i am confused by "duality" "nonduality" "nirguna". do these words appear in vedas?
          Ibrahim says: No they do not appear in the Vedas as far as I know. In fact the opposite is true when you look at the Vedas. Philosophy had NO room in revelations but only come into being by man trying to interpret or conjecture about matters beyond his /her comprehension. Normally when people try to be Too smart they end up making a fool of themselves, which is where Hindus have landed themselves without doubt.

They all come into being because man had been trying to identify who or what is his Creator. Even though the Creator made it Clear that He cannot be seen until the final hour, Hindus needed to SEE Him, so they invented personal gods based on His attributes and made godly man equals with God, to please themselves.

Much of Hindu philosophy is based on the Upanishads and puranic texts, which means these are based not on the revealed texts but on commentaries made by man about revealed texts.

What has happened is that the Creator knowing man abilities to be misguided had restricted certain knowledge from him, but man through his inquisitive nature had tried to override this restriction, thus inventing the theory of God behaving in two ways

1) Nirguna Brahman ( No attributes and cannot be seen)

2) Saguna Brahman . ( with attributes and can be seen)

The same Nirguna Brahman appears as Saguna Brahman for the pious worship of devotees is their claim thus making both as one God in essence. .

The hindus most likely ended up concluding in this manner , most likely, because they have been told from ancient times that God cannot be seen yet he lives in light. which first led them to worship the sun because it cannot be seen and was ever so brilliant. ( ancient Greek/Egyptian which is also part of Hinduism as Hinduism did not originate in India but originated in the middle east. )

But later generations eventually establishing that God was the Nirguna Brahman. Who being formless and unseen, cannot do anything without Maya,( a consort of Mahavisnu) which transforms and has a form, when the maya part is active.

then the Maya , (most likely the Holy Spirit or Spirit of Truth) was credited with appearing in the presence of man in various forms to achieve various commands of God, which led them to believe in the avatars and these avatars where actually Vishnu ( one of the trinity gods)

Thus creating the Saguna Brahman

It might help you to find out about the sphinx, to tract the origins of Hinduism.

Narasimha was the half man and half lion incarnation of Visnu according to Hinduism.

That is how I will conclude based on the Philosophies that Hindus had created for themselves which has no basis in revealed scriptures but is derived from misconceptions of revealed scriptures.

Hope that helps

Regards
          Ibrahim

why deny the second creation when the first creation is here for you to see.

Comment

Paki Prince,

yesterday on the way to school I was chanting "Om jai Jagdish hare, Swami jai Jagdish hare, Bhakt jano ke sankat, Das jano ke sankat Kshan men door kare, Om jai Jagdish hare..." and my friend tells me to stop singing it because it's a sin, I tried arguing with him that it doesn't have any shirk in it, it's only praising the one God... still I couldn't convice him...
            ================================================== ========================================
            Paki Prince,
            I do not know what Islam teaches, but I know that according to Hinduism, reciting the name of God in whatever language and form you like is very good.
            It is better than many other thoughts. Atleast, Hinduism doesnt bother with trivial useless things like "Shirk", "Haraam" etc.
            They are just objections created by man between humans and God.
            There are many misguided people, who use
            these terminologies to blank off the people from knowing the divine supreme.
            Finally it is a matter left between you and your faith in God.

"Om Jai Jagadeesh"

Comment

Hinduism implicitly recognizes all paths to attain God as equal; this
              acknowledges that Islam, Judaism and Christianity, for example, are all
              equally valid paths. All visions of Godhead are alternate visions of
              Brahman, the ultimate reality; Brahman itself is without any quality, it
              simply is! (Nirguna Brahman), but we impose likenesses and qualities

Comment

Originally posted by Victory:
                Atleast, Hinduism doesnt bother with trivial useless things like "Shirk", "Haraam" etc.
                Ibrahim says: Victory dear, do you honestly understand what your scripture is saying? Or will you just talk as you wish?

Kindly read what it says and correct yourself before it is too late.

TRUTH VS. UNTRUTH

Satapatha Brahmana 14:1:1:31. "And whilst not coming into contact with Sudras and remains of food; for this Gharma is he that shines yonder, and he is excellence, truth, and light; but woman, the Sudra, the dog, and the black bird (the crow), are untruth: he should not look at these, lest he should mingle excellence and sin, light and darkness, truth and untruth." --

Ibrahim says : Meaning women, sudras , dogs, black birds are haram in addition to touching remains of food.

Bhagavad Gita 16.23-24 The man who rejects the words of the scriptures, and follows the impulse of desire attains neither his perfection, nor joy, nor the Path Supreme. Let the scriptures be, therefore, thy authority as to what is right and what is not right. --

Ibrahim says: meaning what is haram and what is not haram

Bhagavat Gita 7-24: "The ignorant believe that un-manifest Para Brahma (One God) incarnates or takes manifestations, because they do not completely understand My highest, immutable, incomparable, and transcendental existence."

Yajur Veda 32:3."The Formless Supreme Spirit that pervades the universe can have NO MATERIAL REPRESENTATION, LIKENESS OR IMAGE." --

Ibrahim says Since you now call upon jagdish, you are following the ignorant , which was forbidden as written above for believers

Kindly read.

Yajur Veda 40:8: "All those who worship the uncreated things, they are in darkness, and you'll enter more into darkness if you worship the created things."

Bhagavat Gita 7:23, "Men of small intelligence worship the demigods, and their fruits are limited and temporary. Those who worship the demigods go to the planets of the demigods, but My devotees ultimately reach My planet."

Ibrahim says: the meaning here is, those that worship other than God go to hell ( planet of the demi gods. )

Hope that make it Clear as to what the scripture says and what you say is the opposite.

Regards
                Ibrahim

Too many are waiting for their ships to come in, but they are waiting at the bus depot!

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                  Hinduism implicitly recognizes all paths to attain God as equal; this
                  acknowledges that Islam, Judaism and Christianity, for example, are all
                  equally valid paths.
                  Ibrahim says : rvikz, kindly quote the verses which says this

Comment

Working...
                  X