Clear All

A Hadith.

Narrated by Abu Said Al Khudri (Radhiallaho anho):

Allah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alaihi
    wasallam)said, "Beware! Avoid sitting on the
    roads." They (the people) said, "O Allah's
    Apostle! We can't help sitting (on the
    roads) as these are (our places) where we
    have talks." The Prophet said, "If you refuse but to sit, then pay the road its
    right." They said, "What is the right of the
    road, O Allah's Apostle?" He
    said, "Loweringyour gaze, refraining from
    harming others, returning greeting, and enjoining what is good, and forbidding what is evil."

Islam is such a complete religion.
    Simple rules but complete! I wonder how many of us follow them.

Anyway I just wanted to share this

[This message has been edited by wake_up_dead (edited June 29, 2002).]

Originally posted by wake_up_dead:
    "Loweringyour gaze, refraining from
    harming others, returning greeting, and enjoining what is good, and forbidding what is evil."
    No offence, but what does this have to do with sitting on the roads? Also isnt this just plain common sense?
    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

No offence, but what does this have to do with sitting on the roads? Also isnt this just plain common sense?
      Everything said in that Hadith, applies to when you're sitting on the Road. Period.

And no it isn't plain common sense. If it was, then everyone would be following it. Do you see people enjoing the good and forbidding the evil, whilst sitting on the road? Some people might do it, but let's be frank, the majority dont

Havn't you see people harming each other on the street, if it was common sense, everyone would be applying it.

Comment

Originally posted by queer:
        Thats the point. If it were common sense people would not be sitting in corridors or at places where others are to walk. They should lower their gaze as the ones passing by won't feel any unease and returning the greeting is just an indication to be polite with the passers. These small might exist at the back of our heads but we may be unwillingly ignoring them. This hadith highlights them.

Comment

Okay, does this hadith literally mean SITTING on a road,or is it just referring to like any path, like a high school corridor, or a street, etc.

This hadith was discussed once in my presence, and I couldn't really understand it at the time.

And is the whole lowering the gaze kind of like minding your own business and not staring at pple as they pass by?
          I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

i dont think you guys see what i asked.

"Loweringyour gaze, refraining from harming others, returning greeting, and enjoining what is good, and forbidding what is evil."

this sounds applicable to almost any walk of your life. and most of us know this without any extra advice - we should do good things,and evil is bad, stay away. why a special mention to sitting at roads?

Majid, people harming others on the road dont do it thinking it is right. they do know what they do is wrong.
            Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Queer, look at this thing with reference to the prevailing situation in those days. Travelling was certainly not as easy as it is now, rather it could bring you a lot of hardship. So, people were told to be extra caring about those who were using the way.

I remember when I was in my high school, we used to have "dars" every morning in the assembly, and our Islamic studies teacher drilled this thing down (for 5 continuous years!) our heads that we should not hinder the people who are on the move. He used to lay so so much emphasis on respecting the right of way of the people that I, being only in my early to mid-teens, started to believe that doing otherwise was probably the worst of all the sins!

And if it were common sense and common knowledge Queer, then we wouldn't have been seeing the type of behavior that we get to see everyday on the roads of lahore.

I think this hadith provides very practical advice and is equally applicable nowadays. You see we are an unruly bunch of people. Whereas a westerner will stop on seeing the Stop sign at the crossing, allowing others to pass, we need something special to make us do something that is right.

[This message has been edited by Scratch (edited June 29, 2002).]
              I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
              I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Comment

thats a BeAuTiFuL hadith......

regardless of whether some num skull ppl understand it or not!

Thanks for sharing it with us

Comment

Working...
                X