What does it mean ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does it mean ...

... to have "Allah per tawakkal/khuda per bharosa"? What are its implications in our practical lives?

Like when we are facing a serious problem, people say "Khuda per bharosa rakho, sab theek ho ga" What does this mean? And if your attitude suggests to them otherwise. people'd that its bad that we dont have khudda per bharosa? Why is it so important?

Does this only imply that we ought to have patience in the face of severest of troubles? Does this only mean that well, whatever is to happen will happen, so no use getting worried?

I'd appreciate practical answers, not the ideal or the good ones. Thanks.

------------------
    When you think that we've used all our chances
    And the chance to make everything right
    Keep on making the same old mistakes
    Makes untipping the balance so easy
    When we're living our lives on the edge
    Say a prayer on the book of the dead
    I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
    I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

There are some problems and issues you can do something about. Those you work on and do your best to solve them. Then there are others that you cannot do anything about because they are out your control. It is counterproductive to worry about those. You need to be aware which ones are which. Since you cannot control everything and guarantee an outcome, you pray and trust. It does calm your nerves if nothing else. In the end, remember good or bad, everything passes. Time conquers all.

[This message has been edited by OldLahori (edited June 25, 2002).]

Comment

i remember this she'r...

tawakul ka yeh matlab hai keh khanjar apna tez rakh
      nateeja is ki tezi ka, khuda ke hawaale kar

and remember this verse from Quran "and there is nothing for man save that which he struggles for"....

hope it helps u understand it....

------------------
      "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
      Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Well, "khuda par bharosa" means that when you face trials or hardships then you remain patient and keep doing your duties (instead of getting depressed) because you have trust and faith in Allah.

For example, look at Hazrat Yaqoob (AS), his favourite child Yousaf (AS) got lost and Yaqoob (AS) missed him so much that he lost his eye sight! But still he never gave up hope in Allah and kept his duties to Him:

12:83 Jacob said: "Nay, but ye have yourselves contrived a story (good enough) for you. So patience is most fitting (for me). Maybe Allah will bring them (back) all to me (in the end). For He is indeed full of knowledge and wisdom."

12:84 And he turned away from them, and said: "How great is my grief for Joseph!" And his eyes became white with sorrow, and he fell into silent melancholy.

12:86 He said: "I only complain of my distraction and anguish to Allah, and I know from Allah that which ye know not...

12:87 "O my sons! go ye and enquire about Joseph and his brother, and never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."

Also, same was the case with Yousaf (AS), he was imprisoned in Egypt for many years though he was innocent, but he never gave up hope in Allah, and was thus rewarded with the kingdom of Egypt, and also reunited with his father Yaqoob (AS), who then gained his eye sight as well!!

So, you see that if you remain patient and keep up your duties as laid down in the Quran then you will be rewarded in the end.

Also, when a believer is caught in any hardship then this becomes a means of expiation for his sins:

Hadrat Abu Sa'eed Khudri(R.A.) reports that Rasulullah(pbuh) said, 'When a Mu'min experiences any fatigue, disease, sorrow, grief, hurt or distress, even to the extent that if a thorn has to prick him, Allah Ta'ala wipes away some of his sins for that.' (Sahih Bukhaari)

So, u see its a win-win situation for a believer cuz u get rewarded if you remain patient during a hardship and don't get bogged down by it. Infact, the stronger a person's iman then the harder the challenges he will face in life because God wants to wash away your sins and give you reward for remaining patient. That is why a Mumin, a true Muslim, never despairs of the Mercy of Allah.

Another hadith:

Hadrat Abdullah bin Mas'ood(R.A.) reports that Rasulullah(Sallallaahu alaiyhi wassallam) said, 'Whenever a Muslim experiences any hardship like sickness (etc.), Allah Ta'ala wipes away his sins just as a tree sheds its leaves during autumn.' (Bukhaari and Muslim)

Also:

Hadrat Aa'isha (Radiyallahu anha) also narrates that Rasulullah(Sallallaahu alaiyhi wassallam) said, 'When the sins of a person become so much that his good deeds are unable to wipe them out, then Allah Ta'ala lets grief overcome him in order to forgive his sins.' (Musnad-Ahmad)

You can read more such hadiths at this site.

Also, take the example of Ibrahim (AS), he always stood up against the idol-worshipping people and kept on calling them to Islam despite the fact that it put his life in danger. The disbelievers finally decided to throw him in the fire, but when they did so, Allah made the fire cool down for him. See, how potent is the trust in Allah, Ibrahim (AS) never gave up trust in God and never feared anyone except Him, and so Allah saved him in the end.

9:18 "...and fear none (at all) except Allah...."

Another example is the Battle of Uhud. The Muslims lost this battle because of their desire for the booty (i.e. worldly stuff) that the enemy had left behind. Ofcourse they felt bad after the loss and got depressed, so Allah revealed the following verses:

003.138 Here is a plain statement to men, a guidance and instruction to those who fear God!

003.139 So lose not heart, nor fall into despair: For ye must gain mastery if ye are true in Faith.

003.140 If a wound hath touched you, be sure a similar wound hath touched the others (refers to Uhad and Badr). Such days (of varying fortunes) We give to men and men by turns: that God may know those that believe, and that He may take to Himself from your ranks Martyr-witnesses (to Truth). And God loveth not those that do wrong.

003.141 God's object also is to purge (separately filter) those that are true in Faith and to deprive of blessing Those that resist Faith.

003.142 Did ye think that ye would enter Heaven without Allah testing whether ye(will) fight hard (In His Cause) and remained steadfast (patient)?

003.146 How many of the prophets fought (in God's way), and with them (fought) Large bands of godly men? but they never lost heart if they met with disaster in God's way, nor did they weaken (in will) nor give in. And God Loves those who are firm and steadfast.

003.147 All that they said was: "Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and anything We may have done that transgressed our duty: Establish our feet firmly, and help us against those that resist Faith."

003.148 And God gave them a reward in this world, and the excellent reward of the Hereafter. For God Loveth those who do good.

The Muslims learnt their lesson from Uhad and developed true faith, and thus were granted victories upon victories, such as the conquestion of Makkah, Jerusalem, Egypt, Syria and Persia.

So, as the above verses show, when a person encounters a hardship (such as sickness) then it forces him to rethink his life-style, what he may have done wrong in his life etc. The hardships are the points at which Allah actually determines whether a person is actually true in faith or just a Muslim by name. If the person remains patient and keeps his duties as laid out in Islam then this proves to Allah that this person was indeed true in faith, if the person waivers from the path and loses hope (some may even commit suicide) then Allah writes you down as a hypocrite or a disbeliever.

One last hadith:

Hadrat Ataa bin Abi Rabaah(R.A.) relates, "Once Ibn Abbaas said to me, 'Shall I tell you of a woman from amongst the People of Jannah?' I said, 'Yes.' He said, 'A certain black lady came to Nabi(Sallallaahu alaiyhi wassallam) and said, 'I get attacks of epilepsy and my body gets uncovered, so please invoke (i.e. make dua to) Allah for me.'Nabi(Sallallaahu alaiyhi wassallam) told her,.'If you wish, you could be patient and you will enter Jannah; or if you wish, I will make dua to Allah to cure you.' She replied, 'I will remain patient,' and added, 'but I become uncovered, so please make dua to Allah for me that I do not become uncovered.' So he made dua for her." (Bukhaari and Muslim)

[This message has been edited by sallu123 (edited June 26, 2002).]
        "When one bright intellect meets another bright intellect, the light increases and the Way becomes clear." - Rumi

Comment

Thanks for your input guys. Sallu123, so theres reward if you stay steadfast and further misery if you dont? Is this so? I mean if we fail the test put by God, we should look forward to even worse times?

And apart from continuing to fulfill the religious obligations, does having bharosa mean that we stay strong because of our faith and continue living our life as we had before the hardship occured?

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch:
            Thanks for your input guys. Sallu123, so theres reward if you stay steadfast and further misery if you dont? Is this so? I mean if we fail the test put by God, we should look forward to even worse times?
            A believer will be rewarded for remaining steadfast. If you fail the test, i.e. you give up hope and become inactive or lose spirit for jihad (struggle), then its your own loss, and if the disobedience is continuous then Allah may indeed implement His punishment, at least eventually, as for example happened to the people of the Sabbath. I cannot say for certain whether you will be punished right away or may be later in life. Indeed if you fail at a test/trial, one of the immediate consequences may be "depression" which can make a person's life miserable and the person may be unable to unlock his true potential in life. Some depressed individuals may also commit suicide, and statistics show that material prosperity does not necessarily mean happiness in life. For example Sweden and Switzerland, who provide the most welfare to their citizens, also have the highest suicide rates!! The Quran also tells us the fact that the most evil of people may enjoy the best of lives in this world (something I have seen with my own eyes) because God wants them to keep on continuing in their sins and thus add to their eventual punishment for they deserve this. So prosperity in this world doesn't necessarily mean that you are the beloved of God, in fact it may indeed mean the opposite. Look at Pharaoh, for example, he enjoyed a royal life though he was a tyrant, so eventually he received his punishment and the punishment of the Hereafter will be worse for him. Also, as one of the hadith says, those people who are sincere in faith may face the hardest of trials, so that God may give them more reward, but since these people have the bharosa in Allah therefore this faith softens the blows and they do not suffer to the same extent as the disbelievers!! So, you shouldn't judge people according to their material prosperity but rather their conduct, and Allah (swt) knows best and He is the only One that knows the condition of the hearts of people.

3:196. Let not the vicissitude (of the success) of those who disbelieve, in the land, deceive thee (O Muhammad).
            3:197. It is but a brief comfort.
            And afterward their habitation will be hell, an ill abode.

40:4. None argue concerning the revelations of Allah save those who disbelieve, so let not their turn of fortune in the land deceive thee (O Muhammad).

Also, as I described the example of Hazrat Yacoob's (AS) life, any one who sticks to the right path and keeps striving hard will be eventually rewarded in this world as well as the Hereafter.

And apart from continuing to fulfill the religious obligations, does having bharosa mean that we stay strong because of our faith and continue living our life as we had before the hardship occured?
            Yes, you must try your hardest according to your abilities, because your performance during the hardship is the proof that will determine whether you passed the test or not, whether u are a true believer or not. Its not just about prayers, fasting, and pilgrimage. You HAVE to do jihad (struggle) in God's way, and jihad can take many forms, from helping the poor people to earn God's pleasure to standing up against any form of injustice. Any act done to earn God's pleasure will earn reward.

3:142 Did ye think that ye would enter Heaven without Allah testing whether ye (will) fight hard (In His Cause) and remained steadfast (patient)?

So, you wonder what and how much a person must do to appease God. Well here is some logic for you:

2:219 ......They ask thee how much they are to spend (in Allah's way); Say: "What is surplus to your needs." Thus doth God Make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider-

If we extrapolate then the above verse doesn't just mean spending the wealth/money that is surplus to your needs, it can be applied to anything, even the time you have on your hands, so if you have surplus time, then you must use/spend it to help others. Remember that Muslims have to be cognizant of the rights of both Allah and people (since this pleases Allah as well).

There are a couple of hadiths I would like to quote here:

Prophet (pbuh): “He who attends to the need of others, Allah will attend to his needs.”

The Prophet SAWS once kissed Al-Hasan Ibn 'Alee RAA while Al-Aqra' Ibn Haabis was in his presence. So Al-Aqra' said to him: "You kiss your children. I swear by Allaah, I have ten children and I never kissed any one of them!" So the Prophet SAWS said: "He who doesn't show mercy (to others) will not be shown mercy (by Allaah)."

So, in conclusion, you must strive your hardest, because you would want to get maximum reward. The harder you strive the higher will be your grade/degree/level in heaven.

P.S. My answers may not be full and may even confuse you, all answers to your questions are contained in the Quran* and hadiths, and also there are tonnes of sites about such issues on the net, just do a search on google with the keywords and you can read about any issue.

* Quran in PDF format: just slide to bottom of this webpage and download Yusuf Ali's or Pickthall's version of Quran (titled "Meanings of the Holy Qur’an"). You will need Adobe Acrobat to run these. The good thing about these PDF files is that you can search the entire Quran for any specific word/keyword by pressing Ctrl+F (Ctrl and F simultaneously). If you have read the Quran before then you have a better idea of what to search for.

[This message has been edited by sallu123 (edited June 27, 2002).]
            "When one bright intellect meets another bright intellect, the light increases and the Way becomes clear." - Rumi

Comment

Thanks Sallu123.

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch:
                Thanks Sallu123.
                You're welcome. BTW I just found out that the "Quran in PDF format" that I referred to in my last post has some errors in the numbering of the verses. I think it is just in Surah 5 but I am not sure. So if you were interested then you can download some other good Quran software such as:

QuranTrans 2.0: It has three simultaneous translations and its very easy to jump to any point in the Quran. But there is no search tool.

AND/OR

The Noble Quran Version 3.0: This one has the search tool and the translation is along with the Arabic.

[This message has been edited by sallu123 (edited June 29, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                X