Anti-Islamic book allowed by French court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-Islamic book allowed by French court

...lawyers cited extracts from the book in which Ms Fallaci says that Muslim immigrants in the West had "multiplied like rats"
    that's one of the least offensive parts of the book.

French court allows 'anti-Islamic' book, BBC, 21 June 2002

A French judge has rejected an attempt by an anti-racism group to outlaw a book highly critical of Islam.

However, the work could still be banned and its Italian author fined.

The Movement Against Racism and For Friendship (MRAP) had lodged the request to ban journalist Oriana Fallaci's Anger and Pride, a book which asserts the superiority of Western culture and norms over Islamic civilisation and links immigration with Islamic terrorism.

Judge Herve Stephan did not rule on the contents of the book, but said that since it had already been distributed - both in France and abroad- there was no point in issuing an urgent ban.

Instead he referred the affair to another court for a more detailed analysis of the book's content, with a hearing scheduled for 10 July.

MRAP argued that the work was an "incendiary tract of Islamophobia".

Their lawyers cited extracts from the book in which Ms Fallaci says that Muslim immigrants in the West had "multiplied like rats" and that "the children of Allah spend their time with their bottoms in the air, praying five times a day".

The group says the author clearly crosses the line from criticism to racism.

But Ms Fallaci's lawyers, while conceding that the book is at times "shocking", stressed that their client had an inalienable right to freedom of expression.

They also said it was an important book.

"At the heart of her thinking is the following reasoning: the fight against Islamic terrorism is made more difficult by intellectual terrorism cloaked in anti-racism," said Gilles Goldhagen.

Ms Fallaci, a 72-year-old Resistance fighter in World War II and a former war correspondent, could receive a suspended prison sentence and a fine if her book is eventually found to incite racial hatred, as the MRAP claim.

And if ye are in doubt concerning that which We reveal unto Our slave (Muhammad), then produce a sura or the like thereof, and call your witnesses
    beside Allah if ye are truthful.
    Surah al Baqarah: ayah 23

The truth is the truth mam.

Comment

Islam - the fastest growing religion!

OR

Muslims - making babies like rats!

Here's your answer!

Comment

Originally posted by Adbulmalick:

OR

Here's your answer!

Congratulations to you, I guess you solved the "puzzle" of how one religion can be attracting so many individuals. Forget the fact that, just maybe, there are principles within the religion that are attracting so many people towards it - forget the fact that the principles of tolerance, equality, justice, and peace might actually entice someone to explore Islam further.

------------------
        They died in silence for humanity had closed its ears to their cry ~ Khalil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Adbulmalick:

OR

Here's your answer!
          Can I ask what compelled you to pick a Muslim nick when you know that you are going to spew anti-Muslim crap?

No offence intended but I just find it very amusing that you would assume that by picking a name that passes you off as a Muslim, you can let all your filth flow out and yet the rest of the posters remain oblivious to your *brilliant* disguise.

Comment

Originally posted by sambrialian:
            Can I ask what compelled you to pick a Muslim nick when you know that you are going to spew anti-Muslim crap?

No offence intended but I just find it very amusing that you would assume that by picking a name that passes you off as a Muslim, you can let all your filth flow out and yet the rest of the posters remain oblivious to your *brilliant* disguise.
            What does Adbul mean?

Comment

Just goes to show that there were crude people in the '40's right up to today. If truth is truth, this "female" musta' been something else, having been a resistence fighter in France. She obviously has more courage than self checking, seems almost mathematical.

Comment

I have not read her book. But she is obviously stating truthfully abeit crudely what is on her mind. If the worst thing she has had to say is "multiplying like rats" and "bottoms up in the air" then I honestly don't see why Muslims have to try to get the book banned. She is obviously stating it because of xenophobia that all cultures have to some extent. Wouldn't a rational and logical response be better than "let's get the book banned"?

Comment

Working...
                X