marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marriage

hey guys.. i had a question. i know tat in islam we are allowed to marry christians. but does the partner have to convert to islam or not.. i wanted to know this..

Very good question Eddy. The following is an excerpt from a post by one luminary on this bb

[This message has been edited by Akif (edited June 25, 2002).]

Comment

Eddy, as far as I know if you are male you can marry a christian woman. Muslim woman cannot marry a non muslim man unless they convert to Islam.

Comment

People of the book means, the "OLD" people of the book. Christians today, do not believe in the God of Ibrahim, Moses(some jews actually believed Hazrat Ezra{Uzair} as the son of God), or Mohammed(SAW). Christians of today do not believe in the Oneness of God, so therefore cannot be called as people of the book.

Comment

It appears muslims of today are not satisfied fighting amongst themselves, and so now the little bit of acceptance that the christians might have had has to be taken away because they are not the christians of old. Here in USA you can marry whoever will agree to marry you, and only one marriage at a time (more than one, and you risk being prosecuted for bigamay).

Comment

OldLahori : and your point is ??????

Comment

Originally posted by zman:
              OldLahori : and your point is ??????
              Just like the muslims, christians are not a monolith. There are many many sects of christianity. Your statement may apply to some.
              The second point is that in USA as far as I know there is no restriction that a muslim cannot marry a non-muslim. If you are a good muslim then your non-muslim partner will eventually see the benefits and convert anyway. If you are a bad muslim, then insisting on conversion before hand is hypocritical at best and really does not serve either you or your partner.

Comment

>>>If you are a good muslim then your non-muslim partner will eventually see the benefits and convert anyway.<<<

OldLahore Yaar. Is there something that you are implying? Where the hell do you find distinctions such as Good Muslim and Bad Muslim? Isnít a Muslim just a Muslim? And what merit if any conversions have to a person? Does it affect some parts of one's body?

Coversions for the sake of marriage are the lowest form of Conversions. It's like changing your faith for a prick.

Comment

Ofcourse we all know that you have the freedom to do anything or mary anything in the US.
                  I was mostly talking about Islamic jurisprudence or Islamic laws regarding marriages.
                  To date there are no christian sects that believe in the Oneness of God, they mostly believe in the trinity and if there are any that believe in the Oneness of God, they need to convert to Islam period.

[This message has been edited by zman (edited June 25, 2002).]

Comment

I agree, Muslims should make an effort of converting others by simply being good muslims. Which to me, means being able to accept other beliefs, and not looking down on them.
                    But here is a dilema. Lets say you are being discustingly kind, in an effort to indirectly convert your Christian spouse, but at the same time, she decides to be discustingly kind in return, in an effort to convert you to Christianity (I have seen so many Chrtistians like this, and they are SO aggrevating). What happens then, are you going to walk around all day pretending to be perfect models of each of the respective faiths? I would be divorced within a week

Comment

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
                      >>>If you are a good muslim then your non-muslim partner will eventually see the benefits and convert anyway.<<<

OldLahore Yaar. Is there something that you are implying? Where the hell do you find distinctions such as Good Muslim and Bad Muslim? Isnít a Muslim just a Muslim? And what merit if any conversions have to a person? Does it affect some parts of one's body?

Coversions for the sake of marriage are the lowest form of Conversions. It's like changing your faith for a prick.
                      I am not an intellectual and so perhaps have not expressed what I had in mind clearly. Let me try again. My mother has this saying in panjabi which literally translated goes "All five fingers are not the same", which I always took to mean that not everybody that carries the same "label" is identical. In my experience I find good muslims and bad muslims, just as I have found good christians and bad christians, good jews and bad jews, and every shade in between. I would not marry just to convert somebody, but I am not going to impose that on anyone else. That is their choice. Unfortunately,at times religious zealots do take pleasure in labeling good people as evil just because they don't feel comfortable wearing the preferred label of the zealots.

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan Ahmed:
                        I agree, Muslims should make an effort of converting others by simply being good muslims. Which to me, means being able to accept other beliefs, and not looking down on them.
                        But here is a dilema. Lets say you are being discustingly kind, in an effort to indirectly convert your Christian spouse, but at the same time, she decides to be discustingly kind in return, in an effort to convert you to Christianity (I have seen so many Chrtistians like this, and they are SO aggrevating). What happens then, are you going to walk around all day pretending to be perfect models of each of the respective faiths? I would be divorced within a week
                        LOL! I see making of a great skit! Any playwright in the crowd? "The battle of the rosaries" ?

[This message has been edited by OldLahori (edited June 25, 2002).]

Comment

I have heard couples in a harmonic relationship where on Friday the husband goes to mosque and on Sunday the wife goes to church.

My question: Doesnít she (Christian wife) need to have some sort of understanding that Jesus is not God or Son of God but a prophet of Allah swt?

Comment

Most jews these days are strictly monotheistic, even some christian sects don't believe in the trinity, I think it's fine to marry their women as long as the children are brought up as muslims...

...but muslim women have to convert kafir guys before marrying them.

Comment

paki prince : Just out of curiosity and primarily for my own knowledge which christian groups believe in the Oneness of Allah ?

They might or might not believe in the trinity but how many actually believe in the Onesness of Allah(SWT).

I dont think there are any...

Comment

Working...
                              X