• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word of the Day

Al-Hamdu-Lillaahi Rabbil-'Aalameen was-Salaatu was-Salaamu
    'alaa Ashrafil-Anbiyaa.e wal-Mursaleen, wa ba'd

AsSalaamu 'alaikum wa-Rahmatullaahe wa-Barakaatuhu,

Brothers and Sisters i thought it might be a good idea to post one word a day with it's meaning, not all of us are experts in the arabic language, so insh'Allah this will benefit us. Allahu Alim.

First word: Aqeedah

Aqidah linguistically is derived from the term aqada. In Arabic, one states, "Aqada the rope" when the rope is tied firmly. And, "Aqada the sale" or "He settled the sale" when the person ratifies and contracts a sale or agreement. And Allah says in the Quran, "And as for those whom your right hands have made a covenant (Ar., aqadat)" [Al-Nisa 33]. And Allah also says, "But He will take you to task for the oaths which you swear in earnest (Ar., aqadtum) [Al-Maida, 89] which means asserted and adhered to, as proven in the verse, "And break not oaths after the assertion of them" [An-Nahl, 91]. If one says, "Aqadtu such and such," it means his heart is firm upon such and such.

Therefore, Aqidah or I'tiqad according to the scholars of Islam is: The firm creed that one's heart is fixed upon without any wavering or doubt. It excludes any supposition, doubt or suspicion.

-Taken from SalafiPublications.com

May He guide us all. Ameen!

------------------
    'Rabbee zidnee`ilmaa'
    My Lord! Increase me in knowledge.[20:114]

The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) said:
    "Whoever sets out on a path to seek knowledge, Allaah will make easy his path to Paradise."
    [Saheeh Muslim]

ad-Da'eef

Linguistically it is Opposite of the Strong. In Shar'iah it means:
    A classification of Hadeeth, that which does not fulfill the conditions of the hasan hadeeth, due to the absence of one or more of its conditions. And just as there are levels of the saheeh, there are levels of the weak. The weaker the narrators are then the weaker it becomes, ranging through:

da'eef: weak
    da'eef jiddan: very weak
    qaahee: baseless
    munkar: weak and contradicting something more authentic
    mawdoo': fabricated ( the worst of the rejected reports)

-Taken (slightly adapted) from Notes on the Science of Hadeeth extracted from "Tayseer Mustalahil Hadeeth" by Dr. Mahmood at-Tahhaan, provided online by Fatwa-Online.

Allahu Alim

------------------
    'Rabbee zidnee`ilmaa'

"Whoever sets out on a path to seek knowledge, Allaah will make easy his path to Paradise."
    [Saheeh Muslim]

Comment

al-Hasan

Linguistically it means Good/Handsome. In Shar'iah :
      Ibn Hajar explains it to be that which fulfills the conditions of the "saheeh" except that the precision of one or more of its narrators is of lesser standard, i.e. it fulfills all of the conditions of (1) to (5) ( as already explained in as-Saheeh) except that condition (3) is met to a lesser degree, therefore the isnaad falls from the standard of saheeh to that of being hasan. This is the definition of hasan li-dhaatihee

Its ruling is same as for Saheeh even though it is is below it in strength.

Regarding hasan-saheeh, This has been explained by Ibn hajar and agreed by as-Suyootee as:
      1. If the hadeeth has two isnaads or more, then it means that one isnaad is saheeh and the other is hasan.
      2. If the hadeeth has only one isnaad - then it means that it is saheeh in the view of some scholars, hasan in the view of others.

al-hasan li-ghayrihi(hasan due to support), It is the hadeeth which is originally da'eef, but has other chains of narration, and the resson for its original weakness is not sinfulness of any narrator of his being a liar. So such a hadeeth may be raised to the level of hasan if two conditions are met:
      1. That it is narrated through one or more chains of narration besides the original chain, and that the other chain is similar to it or stronger than it,and
      2. That the reason for the original weakness was either someone's having a poor memory, or a missing link in its chain, or one of its narrators being unknown.
      So it is of lesser level than the hasan li-dhaatihi, therefor if any contradiction occurs the hasan li-dhaatihi is given precedence.

-Taken (slightly adapted) from Notes on the Science of Hadeeth extracted from "Tayseer Mustalahil Hadeeth" by Dr. Mahmood at-Tahhaan, provided online by Fatwa-Online.

Allahu Alim

------------------
      'Rabbee zidnee`ilmaa'

[Saheeh Muslim]

Comment

as-Saheeh

Linguistically it means Sound/Healthy. In Shar'iah it means:
        A classification of Hadeeth, That whose isnaad is connected through "just" ('adl) and precise (daabit) narrators from beginning to end, not being shaadhdh or having a hidden defect ('illah).

The five conditions:
        1) ittisaalus-sanad - That its isnaad is connected. That every one of its narrators heard it directly from the person he is narrating from, from the start of the isnaad to the end.
        2) al-'adaalah - That all of its narrators are 'adl(just), i.e. Muslim, Of age (baaligh, Sane ('aaqil), Not an open sinner (faasiq), and not having bad manners and habits (makhroomul maroo'ah.
        3) That all of its narrators are daabit (precise), which is of two kinds:
        a) dabtus-sadr (precision of the heart) - that he memorises it correctly and transmits it as he heard it and that he understands it if he is reporting its meaning.
        b) dabtul-kitaab (precision of writing) - that he correctly writes it down, preserves it and makes sure that it is passed on correctly.
        4) 'adamush shuthooth - that is not shaadhdh. And the shaadhdh is when the reliable narrators contradicting those who are more reliable than him.
        5) 'admul 'illah - That it does not contain (illah) hidden weakness. The illah is non apparent factor which affects the authenticity of the hadeeth, whilst the isnaad appears to be free from it, i.e. a hidden gap in the isnaad.

If any of these five conditions are not fulfilled then the isnaad will not be saheeh.

The first book to include 'only' the saheeh ahadeeth was Saheehul Bukharee which was followed by Saheehul Muslim. The more authentic of the two being Saheehul Bukhari.

Allahu Alim

------------------
        'Rabbee zidnee`ilmaa'

[Saheeh Muslim]

Comment

Working...
        X