Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musk

Is Musk permittable?

I know that you can't read namaaz w/perfume on...cuz of the alcohol..but, I'm talking of just to put on...like if you can't read namaz cuz of menstruation or if you're careful to take a shower b4 namaaz.

And how does the perfume thing work anyway...its alcohol on your skin - it wont make you drunk...which is why DRINKING alcohol was prohibitted...umm...

confused guppie
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

I'm surprised that there have been no responses posted to this question.

I am curious too.

Comment

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle is that the perfumes which are commonly used among people are permissible, unless we find out that they contain some substance that make it disallowed for us to use them, such if it is an intoxicant, or a large amount would cause intoxication, or it contains some najaasah (impure substance) and so on. But the basic principle is that the perfumes which are commonly used are permissible, such as ‘ood, amber, musk, etc. But if a person finds out that a certain perfume contains something that would rule out its use, such as an intoxicating or impure substance, then he should not use it. This includes cologne because it is has been proven by the testimony of doctors that it is not free of intoxicants; it contains a large amount of alcohol, which is an intoxicant, so we should not use it, unless we find a kind of cologne that is free of that. There are enough perfumes among the kinds that Allaah has permitted to us that we have no need of that kind, praise be to Allaah. The same applies to every kind of food and drink which contains intoxicants – we should refrain from consuming them. The basic principle is that whatever causes intoxication in large amounts, a small amount of it is haraam, as the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whatever causes intoxication in large amounts, a small amount of it is haraam.” (Narrated by al-Nasaa’i in al-Ashribah, 5607; Ibn Maajah, al-Ashribah, 3394). And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Majallat al-Buhooth, al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, issue # 33, p. 116 (www.islam-qa.com)

------------------
      "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
      (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Comment

Praise be to Allaah.

We need to talk at length about the issue of perfumes that are said to contain cologne or alcohol. If the percentage of alcohol is very little, we say that it does not matter, and a person may use them without any concern, such as if the alcohol content is 5% or less. This does not matter.

If the percentage of alcohol is very high, so that you can detect it, then it is better not to use it except where it is necessary, such as for sterilizing wounds and the like.

In cases where it is not necessary, it is better not to use it, but we do not say that it is haram. The most we can say is that this high alcohol content is an intoxicant, and no doubt consuming intoxicants is haram according to the texts of Islam and the consensus of the scholars, but is using it in ways other than drinking it permissible? This is open to speculation, but to be on the safe side we should not use it. If you say that it is open to speculation because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! Intoxicants, gambling, al-ansaab [animals that are sacrificed on stone altars for idols], and al-azlaam [arrows for seeking luck or decision], are an abomination of Shaytaan’s handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful. Shaytaan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from al-salaah (the prayer). So will you not then abstain?” [al-Ma’idah 5:90-91], then we look at the general meaning of the phrase So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination), and say that alcohol should be avoided in all cases, whether it is drunk or applied to the skin, or used in some other way. If we look at the reason why, Allaah says, “Shaytaan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from al-salaah (the prayer). So will you not then abstain?” We may understand this to mean that only drinking it is forbidden, because applying it to the skin does not lead to that (enmity and hatred, etc.). So, in conclusion, we say that if the percentange of alcohol in this perfume is low, there is no need to worry about using it, but if it is high, then it is better to avoid it unless it is for a need, such as sterilizing wounds and the like.

Liqa’ al-Baab al-Maftooh by Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 24 (www.islam-qa.com)

------------------
        "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Comment

It is not permissible to use deodorants that contain alcohol from grapes or
          date extracts. Such perfumes are impure and Salaat with it is invalid.
          However, if the alcohol is synthetic, it is pure and permissible to use.
          Salaat without washing off such perfumes will be valid. Sometimes, it
          becomes difficult to differentiate between genuine and synthetic alcohol.
          Thus, to be on the safe side, one should rather prefer using deodorants and
          perfumes that are labelled as 'alcohol-free', especially when such perfumes
          are easily available. (Mufti M Saeed Motara; Azaadville)

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
          FATWA DEPT.
          http://www.islam.tc/ask-imam/view.php?q=3053

------------------

Comment

The alcohol used in perfumes or deodorants is normally a synthetic alcohol, which is not impure (Najis) according to the prevailing view of Imam Abu Hanifa and his followers. Therefore, the external use of this type of alcohol is not Haram. However, its oral intake is still impermissible except in the cases of necessary medication.

By Mufti Taqi Usmani
            http://www.islam.tc/ask-imam/view.php?q=49

------------------

Comment

Ok I have an add on to that question:

I came across a book that the desi folk rave about and I read all the volumes of it. Heavenly Ornaments also known as Behishti Zewar.

There were quite a few things I didn't agree with in there and mostly it was going against women.

Here is one relevant to this thread:

Unmarried Women are NOT allowed to wear perfume. The reasoning provided in the book is that perfume is an attraction for men and its better not to wear it.

Someone please justify this in any other way. I've been itching about this a lot and personally its nice to smell perfumes/colgones than bad b.o. I don't agree with what is said at all.

------------------
              Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
              Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited June 18, 2002).]

Comment

Coconut, that's the desi culture coming into the picture...cleanliness is half our imaan isn't it...so unless if you have like no body odor (impossible), you really do need to put on some sort of scent.

humans dont get attracted with perfume. neither can you be intoxicated if you put on perfume -- it would never hinder your skills.

Even cologne -- are we talking about eu de toilette? I mean, I have lots of eu de toilette's but I dont think I've ever been intoxicated because of wearing them...I believe those ayats are just referring to the intake of alchohol into the body via mouth, since they talk about the hindrance of success (cologne on your body will not hinder your success as a human).

And wasn't the revelation for prohibition of alcohol given DUE to folks not being able to control themselves in a masjid during prayer because of intoxication...I thought Muslims believe of the miracle of Jesus turning water into wine for drink...so the prohibition for alcohol was introduced in 500 something A.D., right?

if you put alcohol onto your skin, you dont have any chances of getting addicted to it...as oppose to taking it in orally, in which case your sense of taste is interacting with the alcohol. The sense of taste is what causes addiction, not the sense of touch.

I asked about musk , because my father (mistakenly) told me that it is made from pigs...when i looked it up, I found its actually a secretion from Musk Deer, and/or a genital secretion from another animal(I forgot its name). But I also found that musk used today is synthetically made since it becomes really difficult to slaughter so many of these deer just to get some secretion from them for perfume.

And yes, most of the alcohol today is synthetically made too in perfumes and colognes -- in fact, most of the ingredients in perfumes are synthetically made today.

Comment

I know you are not supposed to drink intoxicating drink and offer your namaaz. & it is preferable to be natural while offering your salah. & No najis thing on your body or clothes.

Will you become intoxicated if you douse yourself with 5 bottle of Arramis or Calvin Kline?

------------------
                    Sooner or later we all stand before God in judgment -- are you going to be in "smoking" or "nonsmoking"?

Comment

Musk is made from genital secretion of certain type of deer (male). And it is permissible to offer salah while having musk on your body

[This message has been edited by google (edited June 18, 2002).]

Comment

Google,

No one sane soaks themselves with 5 bottles of Calvin Klein or any other perfume/cologne.

But you can certainly gulp down 5 bottles of alcohol (and land yourself in the hospital while you're at it).

Again, realistically speaking, DRINKING alcohol, even a little, can lead to intoxication and alteration of judgement and behavior. Spraying a LITTLE bit, that is a tiny fraction of an ounce of liquid cologne (even a smaller percentage of that is alcohol), will never get you intoxicated and certainly will never alter your brain. I'm not even sure if any of the alcohol in they teeny bit of perfume dabbed on the skin gets into the bloodstream...does anyone have info on that? (...school is out or otherwise i'd ask a professor)

Really google? I would think animal secretion on the body would be much worse than having alcohol on your body...

khair, most of the musk today is synthetically produced, but you never know which designer decides to be adventurous and go for the real thing.

Comment

With all due respect PCG,
                          I am not sure if someone actually answered the question u put. Different ppl came up with different explainations to justify why u can or why u cant wear perfume.

"Unmarried Women are NOT allowed to wear perfume. The reasoning provided in the book is that perfume is an attraction for men and its better not to wear it."

Why is it so hard to believe that wearing perfume is one of the ways to attract men???? If we are practising islam to such an extent (ie doing full hijab n staying away from na-mehram men completely) then if that same women is wearing a musk that smells pretty nice, walking out on the streets..dont u think its gonna make some heads turn? I dont know.
                          I have this friend in Uni, she is really nice, she does all teh pardah and stuff, the only thing that bothers me about her is she wears the most darnets perfume! And if u have ur back to her, u know she is coming miles off, BECAUSE of her perfume.

In all, i dont think i am much of a help to u then others have been.

[This message has been edited by Qaswa (edited June 19, 2002).]

Comment

Do not ridicule others, simply because you do not agree with their point of view.

Sentinel.

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited June 21, 2002).]

Comment

<edited>

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited June 21, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                              X