birthdays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

birthdays

Can anyone tell me if muslims are allowed to celebrate birthdays?

Note from moderator: Firstly, do not pass an Islamic judgement unless it is supported by evidences from Qur'aan or Sunnah.

Secondly, you do not have the authority to make Fataawas.

So let us not try and change Allaah's Law (from Qur'aan and Sunnah), simply because we are trying to please a people or submit and surrender to our own desires instead of to the Commandments of the Creator, Who is Most Wise and knows best.

Sentinel.

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited June 21, 2002).]

Comment

Please ignore the above post, as it was not supported by evidence.

Thank you.

Sentinel.

Comment

Question: What is the ruling concerning celebrating birthdays?

Response: Celebrating birthdays has no source whatsoever in the pure Sharee'ah. In fact, it is an innovation, since the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said:

((Whoever introduces anything into this matter of ours that does not belong to it shall have that action rejected)). This was recorded by both al-Bukhaaree and Muslim.

In a version recorded by Muslim and by al-Bukhaaree in definitive muallaq form:

((Whoever performs a deed which is not in accord with our affairs, that deed is rejected)).

It is well-known that the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) did not celebrate his birthday at all during his lifetime nor did he ever order it to be celebrated. Nor did he teach such to his Companions. Therefore, the rightly-guided caleephs and all of his Companions did not celebrate it. They are the most knowledgeable of the people concerning his sunnah and they are the most beloved to the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam). They were also the most keen upon following whatever the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) brought. Therefore, if one is supposed to celebrate the Prophet's birthday, this would have been made evident at their time.

Similarly, not one of the scholars of the best generations celebrated his birthday nor did they order it to be done. Therefore, it is known from the above that such a celebration is not from the Law that Allaah sent Muhammad (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) with. We ask Allaah and all Muslims to witness that if the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) had done so or ordered such to be done, or even if his Companions had done so, we would rush to do it and call others to do it. This is because, and all praises are due to Allaah, we are the most keen in following his sunnah and respecting his commands and prohibitions.

We ask Allaah, for ourselves and for all of our brethren Muslims, steadfastness upon the truth, avoiding everything that differs from Allaah's pure Sharee'ah. Verily, He is Generous and Noble.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz
        Fataawa al-Mar.ah

Question: What is the ruling regarding celebrating children's birthdays or marriage anniversaries?

Response: There are no (legislated) celebrations in Islaam except the day of Jumu'ah which is the 'Eed of the week, and the first day of Shawwaal is the day of 'Eed al-Fitr and the tenth day of Dhul-Hijjah is the day of 'Eed al-Adhaa. And often the day of 'Arafah is called 'Eed for the people of 'Arafah (the ones performing Hajj) and the days of Tashreeq (11th, 12th and 13th of Dhul-Hijjah) are also the days of 'Eed following on from 'Eed al-Adhaa.

As for birthdays of people or children or marriage anniversaries and the like, then all of these have not been legislated and are an innovation.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
        al-Bid'u wal-Muhdathaat wa maa laa Asla lahu - Page 224;
        Fataawa fadheelatush-Shaykh Muhammad as-Saalih al-'Uthaymeen - Volume 2, Page 302

Question: Is celebrating the Prophet's birthday halaal or haraam?

Response: Establishing the celebration of the Prophet's birthday or (the birthday of) other than him is an innovation. And it has been confirmed on the authority of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) that he said:

((Whoever introduces anything into this matter of ours (i.e. Islaam) that which is not from it, will have it rejected)), [Saheeh al-Bukhaaree/2697 and Saheeh Muslim/1718].

And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa
        Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez ibn Abdullaah ibn Baaz;
        Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq 'Afeefee;
        Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah ibn Ghudayyaan;
        Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Qu'ood
        Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa., - Volume 3, Page 39, Question 3 of Fatwa No.7360

------------------
        'Rabbee zidnee`ilmaa'
        My Lord! Increase me in knowledge.[20:114]

The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) said:
        "Whoever sets out on a path to seek knowledge, Allaah will make easy his path to Paradise."
        [Saheeh Muslim]

Comment

Originally posted by google:
          Note from moderator: Firstly, do not pass an Islamic judgement unless it is supported by evidences from Qur'aan or Sunnah.

Secondly, you do not have the authority to make Fataawas.

So let us not try and change Allaah's Law (from Qur'aan and Sunnah), simply because we are trying to please a people or submit and surrender to our own desires instead of to the Commandments of the Creator, Who is Most Wise and knows best.

Sentinel.

Sentinel

1. You could have ask me to provide the proof and proper reference.

2. I did not make the fatwa.

3. No one can change The holy book, Al Quran Al Qarim

<reference in the next post - Please do not delete this message posted by a humbe Slave of Allah swt>

Comment

According to my madhab - Shafiie from the Fiqh Of Sunnah Wal Jammah

- Al Suyuti's (Cairo)-HUSN AL MAQSID FI `AMAL AL-MAWLID -page 251-252

Praise be to God and peace be upon those of His servants He has elected.

The question has been asked about the celebration of Mawlid al-Nabawi in the month of Rabi` al-awwal: what is the ruling concerning it according to shari`a, and is it praiseworthy or blameworthy, and does the one who practices it obtain reward for it or no?

*this is one of the praiseworthy innovations* [huwa min al-bida` al-hasana] for the doing of which one obtains reward, because of the respect shown to the greatness of the Prophet (s) and the demonstration of joy and happiness at the news of his noble birth.

*This Ruling is based on Imam Shafi`i's classification of innovations between Good Bida and Bad Bida.

Comment

Whenever the Imaams or the scholars give religious verdicts it is supported by Qur'aan and Sunnah. I cannot see any evidence here.

Also, celebrating birthdays is not something that Muhammad (sallallaho 'alaihi wa sallam) practiced. Neither did the Companions of the Messenger (sallallaho 'alaihi wa sallam) celebrate his birthday.

Comment

Actually I am honored that the moderator is taking so much of interest in my post.

Be assured that The Great Sheikh of Al-Azhar did know a bit of religion before passing fatwas. Hang on ..Let me get the references.

And thanks again for replying.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel:
                  Also, celebrating birthdays is not something that Muhammad (sallallaho 'alaihi wa sallam) practiced. Neither did the Companions of the Messenger (sallallaho 'alaihi wa sallam) celebrate his birthday.
                  I guess to an average Joe, it would look that way. One might say "Prophet did not celebrate his own birthday and so why should we?" That is why I stated in my above post that I am following the Ejtehad of Imam Shafiee of Sunnah Wal Jammah and the Salafi Scholars might have a different viewpoint from our Scholars.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel:

Neither did the Companions of the Messenger (sallallaho 'alaihi wa sallam) celebrate his birthday.
                    [This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited June 22, 2002).]

Comment

I disgree with the point that says "Celebrating Prophet is Bidaa and every Bidaa will takes you to hell". If you say Prophet Companion didn't celebrated Prophet Mawled, I would say "TRUE". They didnt celebrate Mawled but Prophet companion left us with something call Ejtehad which is part of Islam.

If someone say Mawled is Bida or Innovation then I guess there is no harm with the term used. And according to our scholar ( Of Sunnah Wal Jammah) :

- Imam Shafiee ‘Innovation is of two types: praiseworthy innovation and blameworthy innovation, and anything that disagrees with the Sunnah is blameworthy.’"

- Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Hajar Al Asqalani, the commentator on al-Bukhari, said, "Anything that did not exist during the Prophet’s (s) time is called innovation, but some are good while others are not."

- Imam al Bayhaqi narrated in Manaqib Ash-Shafi`i that he said, "Innovations are of two types: that which contradicts the Qur’an, the Sunnah, or unanimous agreement of the Muslims is an innovation of deception, while a good innovation does not contradict any of these things."

- In Sahih Muslim, Holy Prophet(pbuh) said "He who inaugurates a good practice (sanna fil-Islam sunnatun hasana) in Islam earns the reward of it, and of all who perform it after him, without diminishing their own rewards in the least." -The meaning of inaugurate a good practice is to establish a practice through personal reasoning (ijtihad) and derivation (istinbat) from the rules of religious law or its general texts.

- Ibn Kathir writes about the Prophet’s (s) birthday in al bidaya wal nihaya [13-136], "The victorious king Abu Said Kawkaburi was one of the generous, distinguished masters, and the glorious kings; he left good impressions and used to observe the honorable Mawlid by having a great celebration. Moreover, he was chivalrous, brave, wise, a scholar, and just." Ibn Kathir continues, "And he used to spend three hundred thousand Dinars on the Mawlid."

Ibn Taymiyya -In his book Iqtida' al Siratul Mustaqeem [Al hadeeth print, p. 266]. Ibn Taymiyya states, "As to what some people have innovated either to compete with Christians on the birth of `Isa u or for the love of the Prophet (s) and veneration for him, Allah might reward them for their love and ijtihad."

Comment

Hafiz Ibn Hajar al-Haythami

Sheikh Suyuti said, "Someone asked Ibn Hajar about commemorating the Mawlid. Ibn Hajar answered, ‘Basically, commemorating the Mawlid is an innovation that has not been transmitted by the righteous Muslims of the first three centuries. However, it involves good things and their opposites, therefore, whoever looks for the good and avoids the opposites then it is a good innovation.’ It occurred to me (Suyuti) to trace it to its established origin, which has been confirmed in the two authentic books: al Sahihain. When the Prophet (s) arrived in Medina he found that the Jews fast the day of `ashura; when he inquired about it they said, ‘This is the day when Allah (swt) drowned the Pharaoh and saved Moses, therefore we fast it to show our gratitude to Allah (swt).’ From this we can conclude that thanks are being given to Allah on a specific day for sending bounty or preventing indignity or harm. What bounty is greater than the bounty of the coming of this Prophet(s), the Prophet of Mercy, on that day?"

Comment

These scholars that have written work defending Prophet Mawled from the viewpoint of Sharia.

1. Imam Mohammed bin Abu Bakr Abdullah al Qaisi al Dimashqi

He wrote Jami` al athar fi mawlid, Al nabiy al mukhtar, Al lafz al ra’iq fi mawlid khayr al khala’iq, and Mawlid al sa`ada fi mawlid al hadi.

2. Imam Al `Iraqi
                          He wrote Al Mawlid al heni fi al mawlid al sani.

3. Mulla `Ali Al Qari
                          He wrote Al mawlid al rawi fil mawlid al nabawi.

4. Imam Ibn Dahiya
                          He wrote Al Tanweer fi mawlid al basheer al nadheer.

5. Imam Shamsu Din bin Nasir al Dimashqi
                          He wrote Mawlid al sa`ada fi mawlid al hadi.

6. Imam Shamsu Din Ibn Al Jazri
                          He wrote Al nashr fil qira’at al `ashr, `urf al ta’reef bil mawlid al shareef.

[This message has been edited by google (edited June 22, 2002).]

Comment

Insha Allah this is my last post in this thread.

Imam Ibn al Jawzi :
                            Imam Ibn al Jawzi said about the honorable Mawlid, "It is security throughout the year, and glad tidings that all wishes and desires will be fulfilled."

Imam Abu Shama : Imam Abu Shama (Imam Nawawi’s shaykh) in his book al ba’ith ala Inkar al bida` wal hawadith (pg.23) said, "One of the best innovations in our time is what is being done every year on the Prophet’s (s) birthday, such as giving charity, doing good deeds, displaying ornaments, and expressing joy, for that expresses the feelings of love and veneration for him in the hearts of those who are celebrating, and also, shows thankfulness to Allah (swt) for His bounty by sending His Messenger (s), the one who has been sent as a Mercy to the worlds."

Imam al Shihab al Qastalani:
                            Al Qastalani (al Bukhari’s commentator) in his book Al mawahib al ladunniya (1-148) said, "May Allah (swt) have mercy on the one who turns the nights of the month of the Prophet’s (s) birth into festivities in order to decrease the suffering of those whose hearts are filled with disease and sickness."

Conclusion in the word of Imam Shafiiee

"Imam Al Shafie said, "Anything that has a foundation in religious law is not an innovation even if the Companions did not do it, because their refraining from doing it might have been for a certain excuse they had at the time, or they left it for something better, or perhaps not all of them knew about it."

[This message has been edited by google (edited June 22, 2002).]

Comment

Asalamualikum W'r W'b;
                              Br. google, I have always been taught that celebrating birthdays(the Prophet(PBUH)'s or otherwise) is an innovation and following the ahadiths which states that "Any innovation introduced into deen will be rejected", I have avoided celebrating birthdays. However, in your post you quote an ahadiths which states that..
                              • - In Sahih Muslim, Holy Prophet(pbuh) said "He who inaugurates a good practice (sanna fil-Islam sunnatun hasana) in Islam earns the reward of it, and of all who perform it after him, without diminishing their own rewards in the least." -The meaning of inaugurate a good practice is to establish a practice through personal reasoning (ijtihad) and derivation (istinbat) from the rules of religious law or its general texts.

.. and this thoroughly confuses me. There are two apparently conflicting ahadiths here. I would like to know what Imaam Shafiee has said about the ahadiths about anything innovated will be rejected? I'm sure it'll be a bother to you, but it would really be helpful if we could know what Imaam Shafiee said about the other ahadiths. Jazakallahu wa'ahsan ul'jaza.

Comment

Working...
                              X