these molvies are setting the Asain cummunity back a 100 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

these molvies are setting the Asain cummunity back a 100 years

Molvies have a lot to answer for in th UK they are responsible for segregation, more of a social awareness is required.....

That totally depends on which molvies you have been exposed to. I know of some Islamic figures in the UK who would fall into the opposite side of your judgement - very much in touch with society and the affairs of the world.

Sentinel.

Comment

true shack,

unfortunately the word "maulvi" has become a target word for stereotyping.

Not all maulvi's are the same. Many are progressive. Dont think that most Islamic folk are in the Taliban school of thought.
      I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Here is an article in jang dreaming about the day when atleast Pakistan could do without the Molvi's shack is referring to.

******************************************** http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/jun20...02/oped/o4.htm

Life without the clergy

Hafizur Rahman

I n a letter appearing in a Lahore newspaper a resident of that city has informed its readers that he has decided to give up congregational prayers in his local mosque, even on Fridays, because of the blatant ignorance of the maulvi and the unseemly language used by him in his sermons. He has sought advice where to go on Fridays where the sermon is truly representative of the progressive and humanitarian spirit of Islam.

This is the second instance of the kind that has come to my knowledge, although such individual withdrawals from mosques may be going on all the time. The first was some twenty years ago when a senior member of the Urdu journalistic fraternity of Lahore, Sardar Fazli, used to live in Beadon Road near the Chitti Masjid. He told us that he had arranged to shift to some other locality because the imam/ of that mosque was obsessed with sexual matters and invariably made them the subject of his addresses to the faithful. Fazli had grownup daughters and said that whatever sexual education and information about personal hygiene they needed would be imparted to them by their mother and that they could do without the instructions gratuitously conveyed to them through the mosque loudspeaker.

Despite the fact that our ulema never had it so good as during General Ziaul Haq's eleven years, they made no effort to trim their attitudes and their speeches to suit the modern young mind which, frankly speaking, regards them with thinly veiled contempt.

There have been, after partition, notable exceptions among the ulema. One may not agree with all that they spoke from the pulpit, but there was no doubt about their learning and their scholarship in Islam. The Jamaat-i-Islami and the two Jamiat-ul-Ulema Pakistan and Islam too have many dedicated maulvis, but their appeal is limited by the political angle they adopt, which sometimes appears to be more important for them than religious. For instance, their recent outright support to the Taliban whose narrow-minded brand of Islam had never before been witnessed in any part of the world.

I was once closely associated with the maulvis of Islamabad for some time, at least those who were imams and khatibs of Auqaf mosques in the capital. In 1976, I was their afsar, as they affectionately called me. A couple of them were learned enough to grace the Badshahi Mosque but the majority were of average intelligence, even mediocre. Their salaries and other benefits were appallingly insufficient, and, without exception, they were hand to mouth.

Now, after 26 years, their grades of pay are much improved, most of them own cars --- certainly motor cycles and scooters -- and there is hardly anyone among them who doesn't have a side commercial or financial interest based on official patronage. This is by way of a permit or licence or a plot of land granted during the Zia regime. This phenomenon of the maulvis' prosperity can be seen all over the country, so much change has occurred in their circumstances since July 1977 when General Zia struck. Who says he did nothing for Islam?

It is my firm opinion that if all mosques in Pakistan were to suddenly become bereft of maulvis (I know this is not possible but let me have my dream), they could be adequately manned by the lay citizens themselves. Among them can be found innumerable truly religious persons, without bigotry, not only learned in theology but also enlightened in the real sense of the word. They would be doing the job without salary and leftover food but for the love of Islam and the edification of their fellow Muslims.

I am sure that if this could come about the entire national attitude towards life would undergo a healthy change within a matter of weeks. For one, there would be no sermons of the type that made Sardar Fazli change his neighbourhood, the persisting sectarian strife would come to a sudden halt and fatwas of kufr and heresy would no longer be issued against one another.

People would find that many more means of entertainment could be enjoyed without the threat of fire and brimstone in the hereafter. Some time ago we had this fatwa in a small town in Punjab that one's nikah became null and void by watching television, though the maulvi didn't say what happened to unmarried people. In fact, the country would wear a new spiritual and intellectual look without detracting from the fundamentals of Islam.

And, most of all, a community wish would come true in respect of the mosque loudspeaker, which spares neither infants nor the sick nor scholars. Some people allege that after the morning azaan and the Fajr prayer, the maulvi himself goes back to bed. What we hear on the loudspeaker after that is a recorded cassette playing at full volume, though the ban by the military regime on loudspeakers has done much to alleviate the torture.

Forty years or so ago there were no loudspeakers in mosques. Were we lesser Muslims because of that? Even in such a vast place of worship as the Badshahi Masjid, the great scholar and khatib, Maulana Ghulam Murshid, would only countenance the loudspeaker for azaan and nothing else. Today, if you do not live in the close neighbourhood of a mosque you can follow the actual prayer ritual on the amplifier from half a mile away, apart from the other ear-splitting items broadcast in the name of Islam.

In Punjab whatever else one may say about the intellectual level of maulvis in general, they are reasonably lettered and even function as schoolteachers. But in many other parts of the country it is not unusual to come across the illiterate variety. In Peshawar once I had to arrange a friendless person's nikah. I got hold of the imam of the nearest mosque. When I asked him to sign the nikahnama, he said in Pushto that he would affix his thumb impression!

Frankly we may not need maulvis of the existing breed, but we do want imams and khatibs for our mosques, and religious teachers for schools and colleges. And they have to be properly educated, reasonably up in English to be able to argue with the modern youth, acquainted with the sciences and devoid of the narrow outlook about what comes from the West. Most of all, they should think of themselves as educators in religious matters and not try to act the middleman between the ordinary Muslim and his God.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
          Dont think that most Islamic folk are in the Taliban school of thought.
          If the Muslims stopped relying too much on the Western media for their news, the world would be a much better place.

Comment

Are u saying that i'm relying too much on the western media with my above statement, or are u agreeing with me...

just curious. I'm stupid. Dont mind my stupid questions.

shack...refer to the mullahism post made in my honour

Comment

Are u saying that i'm relying too much on the western media with my above statement, or are u agreeing with me...
              If you are not relying too much on the Western media, then please let us know where you are getting your information from.

The Taliban are one of the most gentle and noblest people on the face of the Earth. Most of what is said about them (like preventing women from work, education etc is all BS. )

Comment

shheesshhh I am soo sick of these topics.. lets move onnnnnn!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pakiice:

shheesshhh I am soo sick of these topics.. lets move onnnnnn!!!!!!

------------------
                  But those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, and believe in the (Revelation) sent down to Muhammad - for it is the Truth from their Lord,- He will remove from them their ills and improve their condition. al-Qur'an 47:2

22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

okay khoon

if the talibaan are pretty little sheep, then please refer me to some unbiased articles written in behalf of them, or tell me how you have come to know of their gentleness?

this request deviates from the topic...i guess...you can pm me a response if you like.

Comment

okay khoon

if the talibaan are pretty little sheep, then please refer me to some unbiased articles written in behalf of them, or tell me how you have come to know of their gentleness?

this request deviates from the topic...i guess...you can pm me a response if you like.

http://members.tripod.com/questions5/usaattack/

http://www.jihadunspun.com/
                      http://www.azzam.com
                      http://www.oureffort2001.com

Hopefully, you'll find more links from there. Insha Allah.

Comment

Working...
                      X