seafood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seafood

can anyone tell me whether muslims can eat prawns?
    all the research and people I have spoken to give conflicting advice. Can anyone shed any light?

Some asked this question in this very forum a while back.

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Salaam Shahreen,

It was narrated on the authority of Abu Hurairah (ra), that the Messenger of Allaah - salallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said while at sea: "Its water is pure and its dead are halal."

The companions - rahiAllaahu anhum - undesrstood from this hadeeth that:

Firstly, the water of the sea is pure and purifies, and it is permissible to make wadhoo with it and bathe from it.

Secondly, any animal that depends upon water for its survival is lawful to eat, including those animals that live both in water and on land.

So we can conclude from this hadeeth alone, that prawns are halaal, together with all other sea creatures.

I would just like to mention something with regards to matters of shar'iah/fiqh.

Fiqh/Shariah can be generally divided up into two categories:

1. 'Ibaadaat - those acts directly related to worship e.g. prayer, fasting, Zakat, Hajj etc.

2. Ma'amalaat - those acts not directly related to worship e.g. eating, trade, marriage, property rights etc.

In Islaam, all actions pertaining to 'Ibaadaat are not permissible unless there is evidence to support them from the Qur'aan or the Sunnah.

However, all actions pertaining to Ma'amalaat are permissible unless there is evidence from Qur'aan or Sunnah to declare them haraam or impermissible.

Therefore, for those who claim that prawns are haraam or makroo, kindly ask them to provide their evidence from Qur'aan or Sunnah to support their claim.

... and Allaah - subhaan wa ta'aala - knows best.

regards,
      &peace

-----------------
      "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

[This message has been edited by Hasnain (edited June 10, 2002).]

Comment

Jazak'Allahu Khaiy'run

------------------
        'Rabbee zidnee`ilmaa'
        My Lord! Increase me in knowledge.[20:114]

The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) said:
        "Whoever sets out on a path to seek knowledge, Allaah will make easy his path to Paradise."
        [Saheeh Muslim]

[This message has been edited by appkiamaanat (edited June 10, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Hasnain:

Secondly, any animal that depends upon water for its survival is lawful to eat, including those animals that live both in water and on land.
          Based on my knowledge, most sunni scholars agree that it is permissible to eat most sea creatures based on 5:96 (" Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water­game and its use for food - for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel ... ). The majority of scholars, however, do exclude crocodiles and frogs from this blanket permission (Source).

The ruling which you refer where some some people claim that only scaled fish, prawns and shrimps are allowed and everything else is not permissible, is actually followed by followers of Imam Jaffer Sadiq (RA) - i.e. shias. According to them, Hazrat Ali (A.S.) used to go around the fish market of Kufa and announce that "do not eat or sell the fish that does not have scales". (Wasailu 'sh-Shi`ah, vol. 16, 329-330)

So according to shias, any non-fish sea animal and any fish which has no scales is not allowed. So crab, shell-fish and other animals are haram in the Ja`fari fiqh. (The case of lobster is still undecided because of ambiguity in its classification: is it a shrimp just bigger in size, or is it a different kind of sea animal?)

Interestingly, Torah (Old Testament) says the same about non-scale fish. It says: "Whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have no fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that moves in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you...ye shall not eat of their flesh..." (Lev. 11:9-12)

So we can conclude from this hadeeth alone, that prawns are halaal, together with all other sea creatures.
          I think we should double check this conclusion about all "other sea creatures". Best to check from a recognized scholar.

W'allah o Aalim.

ps. Disclaimer ... almost none of the above statements are my own, and they are all from recognized sources on the internet.

[This message has been edited by Faisal (edited June 10, 2002).]
          "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

I think you are right. My Shia friends do abstain from Tuna, Sardine and anchovies -fishes with no scales or soft scales. I think it’s very hard for me personally to resist tuna or anchovies.

Scales (fish) do act as filter for chemicals. Read this somewhere.

Comment

[This message has been edited by appkiamaanat (edited June 10, 2002).]

Comment

In my opinion and from what ive gathered over my 23 years of life, anything based in water is halal.

My mother is of the opinion that certain water born creatures are not halal like Clams and stuff.

I however am comfortable eating any water born creature. Though i havnt really eaten much aside from tuna, sardines and some other fish

Comment

i luv prawns...well i guess sea animals like sharks are haram.

Comment

JazaakAllaah khair brother Faisal.

originally posted by Maniac:
                    I however am comfortable eating any water born creature.
                    Some scholars define 'sea creatures' as those who are dependant on water for their survival and those who lay their eggs (or are born) in the sea.

enchanted,

there is no evidence to suggest that sharks are haraam, thus they qualify as being halaal.

&peace

------------------
                    "No leaf falls except that He knows of it and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

u said it urself....animals which lay eggs are halal....sharks and whales are mammals and they don't lay eggs they give birth to their babies!!!!!

Comment

Some scholars define 'sea creatures' as those who are dependant on water for their survival and those who lay their eggs (or are born) in the sea.
                        Perhaps i shouldn't have bracketed it. My mention of 'eggs' was a reference to those creatures that can also live outside the waters but at the same time depend upon water for their survival.

I'm sorry i wasn't clear.

&peace

---------------------
                        "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

Amphibians are not considered as fish. Hence the ruling for fish does not apply.

Comment

Working...
                          X