Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie, "The Message"

Salaam,
    Do you think it is OK to show movie "The Message" on campus as one of the events organized by Muslim Students Association?
    Most Muslim students think it is OK as it is another way to introduce Islam on campus, especially to those who don't read brochuers and will be interested in watching a movie that has a good storyline.
    Very few Muslim students say that although Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and other major Sahabahs are not shown, but roles like Hazrat Hamza, Bilal, Khalid bin Waleed have b0een characterized by non-Muslim Hollywood actors, Anthony Quinns, etc. They say, for example, after watching this movie if you read or hear stories about Hazrat Hamza, Bilal, Khalid, you have tendency to imagine the faces and figures of those actors in your imagination.
    Besides the arguements presented above, tell me if it's OK to develop such movies, watch and use for dawah purposes according to Islamic Sharia? And references from Qur'an and Hadith will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is the movie available on the net......

coz i haven't seen it and don't know much about it.
    Tum Karbala kay baad bhee Syed-Sajjad a.s. ho
    Koi or hota tou khatha Khuda koi nahin hai

Comment

This movie is a great acomplishment. I've seen it many a times and always interests me equally. The whole storyline and every charactertization was approved by a whole group of Mullahs from Egypt and other hardlined Arab scholars before it was actually shot... so there wasn't a largely controversy when it was made. I remember reading this old magazine which had a report on how this movie helped convert a lot of people to Islam.

------------------
      You can only paint with the colors you're given...
      ...so get what you like and like what you have.

Comment

I am against such movies and my reasoning is similar to the one stated in the initial post.

First you cannot tell the whole story of the greatest man on earth in just 3 hours and the origin of the Religion that is to stay for the rest of the mankind. So you drop a few things and pick on a few others that you think are important and that might can give the audience a mix of something that didn't happen the way its portrayed.

Secondly, as history is biased so will be such movies. Regardless of how many scholars you have the approval of.

Saying all the above, I am still in favor of showing the movie at the MSA with the condition that it be told to the people as just a story, not hard coded facts. Secondly, explain to them that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Maybe I am being too strict but I believe any average Joe can come up and watch any movie regardless of his intelect. And the visual image & storyline can give him an impression of the Holy prophet, may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, that is far from facts.
        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

woww, my bro haz that movie, iz soo cool, i think u should show it to evryone, iz a great idea!

------------------
          There's a light at the end of every tunnel… just pray it's not a train.
          No man is worth your tears and the only one who is will never make you cry.

Comment

Asalamu Alykum Wa rhamtuAllah,

yeah i have heard several campuses showing that for Islamic awareness week. I second bro ahmadjees post. Also i think instead of showing "The message" one can show introduction to Islam videos by Sh.Humza yusuf hanson, Imam Siraj Wahaj, Imam Ziad etc There are some excellant short videos that show an overview of Islam. However,I do think for example in a religion Class like Islam 101 or something like that, Where students have a better understading of Islam should see it.
            I think a great video for IAW(islamic awareness week) is "Islam the Empire of faith."
            JazakumAllahu khair

[This message has been edited by Pakiice (edited June 10, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Pakiice (edited June 10, 2002).]

Comment

I think the movie serves as a good introduction to Islam and familiarises the people with its main heroes. Its short duration is an advantage since the person might approach islamic books and info to know more about it. Since people are lazy towards reading books and other conventional sources of knowing about religions, the film acts as a good 'curiousity arouser'.
              I think that Islam has to be dynamic and exploit the resources which reach a wider audience, even if it means compromising with certain drawbacks. The advantages weigh out the disadvantages. At least, thats what i think.

Comment

I like the movie. I think its suitable for showings at the university and any such gatherings. Of course its not 'everything', but its a start, and those who are genuninely interested wont stop at the movie, but will go on to other sources to learn more.

Comment

Working...
                X