Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Answering Islam

Assalam O ALiekum everyone,

Has anyone read this book titled "Answering Islam"? It is supposed to be written by someone who converted from Islam to Christianity. I had heard heard about it but today in the mail, I got one of those Christian Evangilist letters. This guy besides sending the standard free bible also offers to give me this "compelling book" for free if I wish to be "saved". I am expecting to be another sorry attempt to malign Islam, but am nonetheless curious if anyone has read it and what he/she thinks about it.

Thanks and Wasalaam

mufakkar,

Please do PM their addy, so I can get the FREE book. I haven't heard anything about it, but I read such books, make my opinion and then if possible write an answer (or find a good one already written).
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

http://www.answeringislam.com/

Is the book and the site related?

Comment

I don't think so Kumar.....the book is on sale at Barnes and Noble as well and I think its also peddled by Jerry Falwel. Its written by two guys one of them has a last name as "Abdul Saleeb"...ahmad jee, I'll pm you the address as soon as I get home.

Comment

If a non-muslims view is of interst:

Have read several articles of similar nature. Found them sufficently viable to reinforce my own faith in Christianity. But - The Prophet, pbuh, seems to me, was the ultimate marketer of Arab culture of the period. In my humble opinion, he seems to have taken the best elements of Judisam (the "Children of the Book") and tried to reconcile them with the culture he had to work with. He loved his culture and his people to a degree that, in many ways, froze them in time. Not to in any way negate Islam's affirmation of the worship of the one true God.

I just recently became aware of the Islamic tradition that Christ survived the cross, and moved on to witness in Arabia. And, I will investigate - my faith is not stagnate like a pool, but, flowing like a river... may God bless my inquiries!

Peace to all who read this....
          If a liberal speaks and no one hears, does it still sound stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:
            http://www.answeringislam.com/

Is the book and the site related?
            They did quote stuff from answringIslam site.

Comment

Originally posted by mufakkar:
              Has anyone read this book titled "Answering Islam"? It is supposed to be written by someone who converted from Islam to Christianity. I had heard heard about it but today in the mail, I got one of those Christian Evangilist letters. This guy besides sending the standard free bible also offers to give me this "compelling book" for free if I wish to be "saved". I am expecting to be another sorry attempt to malign Islam, but am nonetheless curious if anyone has read it and what he/she thinks about it.
              Assalaam u 'Alaikum

I don't know about the book, but I met this guy at the University, with a similar kind of approach.

If you ask me, quite often it can be pointless debating with such people. However, answering them back comes under Jihad of the Tongue if it is done to please Allah.

Many of their arguments make no sense. For example, one of the points raised by this person was that the Holy Prophet (S) used to excessively ask Allah (SWT) for forgiveness, and he argued why he (S) would have to do that if he was a Prophet (S) !!!! (since the Prophets were protected from the major sins) .

I still do not know just how to even begin answering such arguments.

Wassalaam u 'Alaikum

Comment

Originally posted by mrpockets:
                But - The Prophet, pbuh, seems to me, was the ultimate marketer of Arab culture of the period. He loved his culture and his people to a degree that, in many ways, froze them in time.
                Please elaborate.

Arabs are not regarded as the "Chosen People" in Islam. If you read the Qur'an, at many places it has actually reprimanded the Bedouin Arabs.

The Holy Prophet (S) in his last sermon, said :

" No Arab is superior to a non-Arab, No non-Arab is superior to an Arab, No White person is superior to a Black person, and No Black person is superior to a White person EXCEPT by TAQWAA (Piety, Fear of Allah)"

He also said (not the exact words) You all (or the entire mankind) is from Adam, and Adam was created from DUST.

Hope that helps.

P.S - It'd be helpful if you could provide similar quotations from the Bible (and we could compare the two religions thereby). Thanks.

------------------
                When My servants ask you concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calls on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way. (Holy Qur'an 2:186)

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...992108-5976153

The above is a URL to customer reviews of the book at amazon.com . After reading the reviews I have no interest in reading the book. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Khoon-e-Shaheed:
                    Many of their arguments make no sense. For example, one of the points raised by this person was that the Holy Prophet (S) used to excessively ask Allah (SWT) for forgiveness, and he argued why he (S) would have to do that if he was a Prophet (S) !!!! (since the Prophets were protected from the major sins) .
                    I still do not know just how to even begin answering such arguments.
                    Asking forgiveness does not mean one has sin.

[This message has been edited by google (edited June 07, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Khoon-e-Shaheed:
                      P.S - It'd be helpful if you could provide similar quotations from the Bible (and we could compare the two religions thereby). Thanks.

Still waiting !!!

Comment

Salam, Khoon-e-Shaheed -

Please forgive the inordinante delay in responding to your post! I scratched the cornea of my right eye last week, and my left eye only has 20/70 vision. My computer screen looked like an abstract painting!

I can only post my opinion gathered from many sources( I am no scholar, and, have no vast list of links or quotes from books, like so many on Gupshup!)

That Adam was created from the dust of the ground is in Genesis. I believe we share the same story of creation.

In regards the equality of all men:

In the Old Testement, Isaiah 64,vs. 8, "But, now, Oh Lord, thou art our Father, and, we all are the work of thy hand." Also, Malachi 2, vs. 10, "Have we not all one Father, hath not one God created us?"

In the New Testement, Acts 10, vs. 28, "And he said unto them, ye know how it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company or come unto one of another nation. But, God hath showed me that I should not call any man common or unclean."
                        Acts 17, vs. 26a, "And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth".

Let's extend this further with some guidance on living, on affairs between men: Romans 14, vs. 19, "Let us, therefore, follow after the things that make for peace, and, things werewith one may edify another." And, for good measure, II Corinthinians 13, vs. 11, "Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace, and, the God of love and peace shall be with you."

In the Bible, "man" is all-inclusive. Old Testement cites Jews as seperate from other nations, the Jews have their Father in Abraham through Jacob. But, Muslims also have Abraham as their Father through Ishmael.

Christians believe that Jesus the Christ is the fulfillment of the prophecy of the Old Testement, the promise made to Adam and Eve. Does Islam assign a similar postion to the Prophet(pbuh)?

It is probably not fair to start a discussion unless one can expect to finish it! Unfortunately, posting on Gupshup can easily become "a lifestyle"! On almost every visit, I can easily always locate at least a dozen posts that would take me at least a day to answer. It can be quite maddening sometimes!

However, I did wish to apologize for my rudeness in not responding more quickly to so earnest an inquiry.

May this find things well with you and yours.

Peace to all who read this...

[This message has been edited by mrpockets (edited June 11, 2002).]
                        If a liberal speaks and no one hears, does it still sound stupid?

Comment

Working...
                        X