Basics of Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basics of Islam

I was wondering (hence the name) if someone could give me the basics of Islam. I stated in the cafe I wanted to learn about Islam and have been reading the bible, I want to learn so that I can make a decision as to which way I will go with this. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

W&W, at Islam's core is the essence of pure monotheism. You may have read of the five pillars of Islam:
    i) testimony of faith - belief in One God and that Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) is God's Last Prophet, and there will be no Prophets after him
    ii) establishing daily regular prayers
    iii) almsgiving
    iv) fasting during the prescribed month, Ramadan
    v) performing Hajj (in Mecca, Saudi Arabia) if financially able to do so

Prophet Jesus (peace and blessings be upon him) is given an important position in Islam. The miracles that he performed were undertaken (according to Islam) only because they were divinely inspired by God. The concept of the trinity and the original sin do not exist in Islam. Christians and Jews are considered, in Islam, as 'People of the Book', (signifying their position as other monotheistic peoples). Other key aspects of Islam - each human being is responsible for her/his actions and words, for which Islam mandates we will all be judged on the Day of Judgement. Islam places a great deal of emphasis upon piety and righteous deeds - selflessly assisting orphans, the elderly, and the sick are considered major acts in Islam.

Would you want a list of good websites that provide further info regarding Islam?

------------------
    Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest ~ Quran XIII.28

Comment

Originally posted by Nadia_H:
      W&W, at Islam's core is the essence of pure monotheism. You may have read of the five pillars of Islam:
      i) testimony of faith - belief in One God and that Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) is God's Last Prophet, and there will be no Prophets after him
      ii) establishing daily regular prayers
      iii) almsgiving
      iv) fasting during the prescribed month, Ramadan
      v) performing Hajj (in Mecca, Saudi Arabia) if financially able to do so

Prophet Jesus (peace and blessings be upon him) is given an important position in Islam. The miracles that he performed were undertaken (according to Islam) only because they were divinely inspired by God. The concept of the trinity and the original sin do not exist in Islam. Christians and Jews are considered, in Islam, as 'People of the Book', (signifying their position as other monotheistic peoples). Other key aspects of Islam - each human being is responsible for her/his actions and words, for which Islam mandates we will all be judged on the Day of Judgement. Islam places a great deal of emphasis upon piety and righteous deeds - selflessly assisting orphans, the elderly, and the sick are considered major acts in Islam.

Would you want a list of good websites that provide further info regarding Islam?

That would be nice, yes thank you. I have heard much about Islam but only negative. I see that you like to assist others, true? One question I have always wanted to ask is do muslims (particular of arab desent) dislike jewish people? Because from what I have read in the bible in the story of Ismael and Issac ( I believe it was) they were brothers and brothers should not hate one another right? I am trying to gain some truth here, so please forgive me if I ask too many questions.

Comment

W&W, first thing you must learn - never apologize to me for asking 'too' many questions! Please don't hesitate to ask ANYthing regarding Islam and Muslims that is on your mind; done respectfully, I will not take any offence at all.

do muslims (particular of arab desent) dislike jewish people?
        This is a bit difficult to answer as it's a slightly general query; there are about 1.1 billion Muslims, and although Muslim Arabs comprise less than 20% of that, that's still a fairly large group to generalize. We see images on the news and hear constantly of so much conflict between Israelis and Palestinians. I know it's hard to understand precisely what's going on. Here's something I hope will be useful - according to Islam, Muslims are supposed to follow the life example of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh); bearing that in mind read this historical backgrounder to better comprehend how Muslims and Jews should - according to Islam - interact and whether we should hate Jews.

Islam considers both Jews and Christians as "People of the Book" - sharers of the world's other two monotheistic faiths. This is an excellent summary, prepared by a non Muslim, regarding this issue. (I think you would prefer stuff by non Muslims which is why I gave this link). Please do read it if you have the time.

I'm trying to collect some useful links but just need a bit of time to make sure the websites contain accurate info.; I'll post it here asap. Lastly, please don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

Comment

So from what I gather there is a difference between Islam and Radical Islam? That the Quran does not promote violence against the Jewish people? I have read from this book and I believe the quote I remebered was find the Jews and kill them (the trees will tell you where they are or something like that) Is this what you call Radical Islam, or is this in your version of the Quran also, for I am not for killing people. Also what exactly is Jihad, I know it is some sort of holy war I have heard but what contistutes Jihad?

Comment

One question I have always wanted to ask is do muslims (particular of arab desent) dislike jewish people?

No they do not hate Jewish people. Israeli/Palestinian Conflict is a different issue.

Comment

W&W, "Radical Islam" is an oxymoron. Islam the religion cannot be radical. What there can be are radical Muslims.

If the Quran preached violence against Jews, then Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) would not have acted the way that he did towards Jews (from the link I included in my last post). If the Quran preached violence against Jews, Muslims would never have shown the amount of tolerance that they did historically during the Byzantine era. If the Quran preached violence against Jews, then Muslims and Jews would never be able to live side-by-side in peace when in fact many groups of them have done for thousands of years. Look at Iraq, there is a minority Jewish pop. there that has been residing there for hundreds of years side-by-side with their Muslim neighbours. (I deal with Israel and Palestine @ the end of this post).

The quote that you gave has to be studied in context. um I'm sorry but you have not provided the quote in full. This is what it says in its entirety:

Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors. And kill them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, kill them. Such is the reward of those who reject faith. But if they cease, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression. The prohibited month, for the prohibited month,- and so for all things prohibited, there is the law of equality. If then any one transgresses the prohibition against you, transgress ye likewise against him. But fear Allah, and know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves. Surah Baqarah, verses 190-194
              Several things are evident from this quote:
              * long before the United Nations Charter had laid down stipulations regarding the rules of conduct in war, Islam had already 1400 years ago directly articulated this situation: war is allowed in cases of self-defence where there is oppression and persecution.
              * Islam provides detailed guidelines regarding when hostilies should cease (something that was only officially promulgated in the 20th century): if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression.
              * Despite the above even when there is ongoing persecution and oppression, Islam STILL mandates to be compassionate at all times arguing for moderation: But fear Allah, and know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves

Palestine&Israel: roots of this situation lie in the fact that there is one occupying power that has, in direct violation of international law, usurped another country's land and has been illegally establishing their own settlements upon this land. I'm sure you would not appreciate it if someone stole the land upon which your home sits and took it for their own family. Would you not argue that that was unfair? This is a good website that explains the Palestine/Israel issue in depth.

Jihad derives from the root words 'jhd,' meaning to struggle or to strive. Without even knowing you I know you have committed jihad many times as have each of us - any time we strove to do the right thing, that was jihad. Anytime you struggle to tell the truth instead of a lie, that is jihad. Anytime you prevent a wrongdoing that you see from occurring or speak out against injustice, that is jihad. Search the Quran and tell me whether you are able to find the words "holy war" in the Quran. Impossible. Jihad doesn't mean holy war, it means to struggle or to exert. "Holy war" came into the vocabulary when the European Crusades started, the Quran doesn't even mention the two words.

Plz let me know if you have any other queries.

Comment

Sis Nadia did an excellent job explaining the questions but just to add my 2 cents.
                Recently, I came across a book by Yaha Emerick " A complete idiot's guide to Islam".
                I know the title of book sounds kinda harsh but Yaha Emerick did an excellent job, i was suprised to find it in borders bookstore and it was displayed nicely. The book is simple, concise so i would recommend that. There are so many other amazing books i read recently, "Islam in the united States" by jane smith , personally didn't love it but it for the most articulated a decent depiciton of Islam. www.isna.net www.islamicity.com www.jannah.org
                are some nice websites on Islam.
                And as sis Nazia said bring on the questions ..
                peace be on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pakiice:

Sis Nadia did an excellent job explaining the questions but just to add my 2 cents.
                  Recently, I came across a book by Yaha Emerick " A complete idiot's guide to Islam".
                  I know the title of book sounds kinda harsh but Yaha Emerick did an excellent job, i was suprised to find it in borders bookstore and it was displayed nicely. The book is simple, concise so i would recommend that. There are so many other amazing books i read recently, "Islam in the united States" by jane smith , personally didn't love it but smith did depict Islam in a fair manner. www.isna.net www.islamicity.com www.jannah.org
                  are some nice websites on Islam.
                  And as sis Nadia said bring on the questions ..
                  peace be on you.

Comment

[This message has been edited by Dil he Pakistani (edited June 08, 2002).]

Comment

Thanks, PakiIce. Your post was good too. There are a lot of well-written books out there regarding Islam.

Wondering&Waiting, if you have ANY other queries regarding this subject please don't hesitate to ask.

------------------
                      Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest ~ Quran XIII.28

Comment

Waw, if you have the time than please read about Yusaf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) and about his transformation from being a pop star to later discovering Islam and establishing his own Islamic school in London. .Interview with Yousaf Islam

Also the following is a well written book which should give you a good introduction about Islam "Know My Faith: A Beliefnet Guide to Islam" By Beliefnet.com, Published By: Barnes & Noble Digital

[This message has been edited by Dil he Pakistani (edited June 08, 2002).]

Comment

Thank you all for your replies,, you have been very helpful, with your resources.

Comment

Working...
                          X