Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Istikharah (According to Quran and Sunnah)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Istikharah (According to Quran and Sunnah)

To make the prayer of Istikharah (say: iss-teh-KHAR-uh), one should pray two non-fard (non-obligatory) rakat (units) of prayer, even if they are of the regular sunnah prayers or a prayer for entering the mosque, and so on, during any time of the day or night.

One should recite in them whatever one wishes of the Qur'an, after reciting al-Fatihah. Then one should praise Allah and invoke blessings upon the Prophet, peace be upon him.

After this one should supplicate to Allah. Jabir Ibn 'Abdullah has reported the following supplication from the Prophet, peace be upon him, when he related, "The Prophet, peace be upon him, taught us how to make Istikharah in all (our) affairs, just as he taught us various surahs of the Qur'an. He told us, 'If anyone of you considers doing something he should offer a two-rak'at prayer other than the obligatory prayers, and then say (after the prayer),

"Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi'ilmika. wa astaqdiruka bi-qudratika, wa as'aluka min fadlika al-azimfa-innaka taqdiru wala aqdiru, wa ta'lamu wala a ' lamu, wa anta 'allamu-l-ghuyub.

Allahumma, in kunta ta' lamu anna hadhaI-amra khairun lifi dini wa ma'ashi wa aqibati amri (or 'ajili amri wa'ajilihi) f aqdirhu li wa yas-sirhu li thumma barik li fihi, wa in kunta ta'llamu anna hadha-l-amra sharrun lifi dini wa ma'ashi wa-aqibati amri (orfi'ajili amri wa ajilihi) fasrifhu anni was-rifni'anhu.

Wa aqdir li al-khaira haithu kana thumma ardini bihi"

(O Allah ! I ask guidance from Your knowledge, and Power from Your Might and I ask for Your great blessings. You are capable and I am not. You know and I do not and You know the unseen. O Allah! If You know that this thing is good for my din and my subsistence and for my Hereafter - (or say, If it is better for my present and later needs) - then ordain it for me and make it easy for me to obtain, and then bless me in it. If You know that this thing is harmful to me in my din and subsistence and in the Hereafter--(or say, If it is worse for my present and later needs)--then keep it away from me, and keep me away from it. And ordain for me whatever is good for me, and make me satisfied with it)."'

The Prophet, may peace be upon him, added that then the person should mention his need."

There is nothing authentic concerning anything specific that is to be recited in the prayer nor is there any authentic report concerning how many times one should repeat it.

An-Nawawi holds that "after making istikharah, a person must do what he is wholeheartedly inclined to do and feels good about doing and should not insist on doing what he had desired to do before making the istikharah. And if his feelings change, he should leave what he had intended to do, for otherwise he is not leaving the choice to Allah, and would not be honest in seeking aid from Allah's power and knowledge. Sincerity in seeking Allah's choice, means that one should completely abandon what one desired oneself."

---
    • Make the prayer of istikharah before deciding to embark on a journey.
    • Make the prayer of istikharah any time faced with uncertainty and requiring a decision to be made.

Remember... Allah, subhana watala, sees everything we do!

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

Here you go Aleena, insh'Allah it'll help

------------------
    'Rabbee zidnee`ilmaa'
    My Lord! Increase me in knowledge.[20:114]

The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) said:
    "Whoever sets out on a path to seek knowledge, Allaah will make easy his path to Paradise."
    [Saheeh Muslim]

Comment

jazakallah sisters.... may Allah(swt) shower his blessingz upon u2 n may HE(swt) bless u both wid neva endin happiness..ameen sum ameen

------------------
      []\/[] []_[] $ []_ [] []\/[]

[This message has been edited by XChorniX (edited May 21, 2002).]
      Verily my happiness is my iman,
      and verily my iman is in my heart,
      and verily my heart does not belong to anyone but Allah(swt).

Comment

Istakhara prayer

The following is from the book "Selected Prayers" compiled by Dr. J.Badawi.

When seeking guidance in decision-making (Istikharah)

"Allahomma Inni Astakheeroka Bi3ilmik. Wa'astaqdiroka Biqodratik. Wa'as'aloka min Fadlikal3azeem. Fa'innaka Taqdiru Wala Aqdir. Wata3lamo Wala-a3lam. Wa'anta-3allamul ghuyoob. Allahomma In Kunta Ta3lamu Anna (Hathal-Amra) Khayul-lee Fi Deenee Wama3ashi Wa3ajila Amri Wa'ajilah, Faqdorho lee, Wayassirho lee, Thomma-barik lee fih. Wa'in Konta Ta3lamo Anna (Hathal-Amra) sharrul-lee Fi Deenee. Wama3ashi. Wa3ajila Amri. Wa'ajilaho. Fasrifho 3annee. Wasrifnee 3anh. Waqdur leyal-khayr Haytho kan. Thomma ardini Bih."

English Translation:
        "I seek Your guidance (in making a choice) by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allah! If in Your knowledge, (this matter) is good for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs; immediate and in the distant, then ordain for me, make it easy for me and bless it for me. And if in Your knolwedge, (this matter) is bad for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs; immediate and in the distant, then turn it away from me,and turn me away from it. And ordain for me the good wherever it be and make me pleased with it."

Notes:
        1. The above du'a is to be recited when there is uncertainty about the advisability of taking a decision, provided it is Islamically permissable.

2. After performing wudu' (ablution), one should offer two rakahs (sunnah required for this purpose).

3. Before receiting the dua' it should be made sure that the person is not already inclined to a given decision; otherwise it will mean the person is not serious about seeking guidance from Allah (SWT).

4. In making this dua' the actual matter or decision concerning which divine guidance is being sought should be mentioned instead of the words (Hathal Amra) in trasnliteration or the words "this matter" in the translation above.

5. After reciting the dua' (immediately or later on), one may feel more favorably disposed toward one choice or the other.

Comment

well i have another question..how do u exactly know wut da answer will be after doing the istikhara??? i mean how do u kno if it's a yes o a no??
          please do help me on dis one, jazakallah!!

------------------
          []\/[] []_[] $ []_ [] []\/[]

~HaY JaZbA JuNoOn ToU HiMmAt Na HaAr JuStUjOo Jo KaRaY Wo ChUaY AsMaAn, MeHnAt ApNi HoGi PeHcHaAn KaBhI Na BhUlO, SaB Ki NaZrOn MaIn.. PAKISTAN KaBhI Na BhUlO, PAKISTAN HaI TuMhArA, PAKISTAN HaI HumArA~
          Verily my happiness is my iman,
          and verily my iman is in my heart,
          and verily my heart does not belong to anyone but Allah(swt).

Comment

Working...
          X