Why religion at all, can't we live without the concept of God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why religion at all, can't we live without the concept of God

I wonder do we really need religion and the concept of God. All these religions entice one with the promises after death. And whether it is true or not can't be proved for one would have to die for it.
    Is there a God/Allah really or are they just concepts? Don't say it is written in $%#. Has anyone seen him/her.
    Don't go on arguing against Hinduism. My question is regarding all religions. Has religion done any good to humanity. Just break all your bondages and think how beautiful a place the earth would be without the religions and the religious boundaries.
    What say Junta???????????

Okay...let's follow your reasoning for a moment....

Pray tell, what authority would set rules of behaviour? Who would define "morality" for us?

Comment

why we pray ? what everbody want from god?
      samething? can we say god answers all our prayers?

Comment

we can't stop our minds from thinking

1. how did I (mankind) came into existence
        2. how did everything else came into existence
        3. why do we "feel"?
        etc.

if you can stop your mind from thinking, you are a good candidate for Army

------------------
        May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

[QOUTE]:
          We need the "invisible" means of support?[/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by *Khairun Nisa* (edited May 23, 2002).]

Comment

Tell me has religion set rules for good behavior. If what we are seeing today is good behavior, bad behavior is better.
            Regarding the question who created us; my question is if God created us, who cretaed God.
            One more thing common to all religions and scriptures is they ask you not to apply logic to them and take them at face value.
            If we have mind why not question the religion and scriptures.
            God is just a concept for weak mind. If u r strong enuff menytally, u don't need the concept of god to guide you.

Comment

Originally posted by ajit_kumar:
              One more thing common to all religions and scriptures is they ask you not to apply logic to them and take them at face value.
              I'd like to differ. The only way to conclusively accept IS to question and not to take them at face value. For this, application of logic is the only criteria to decide your "path". Works for me, try it. As it is said: "Belief is fine, however, only knowledge will destroy our nagging doubts".

God is just a concept for weak mind. If u r strong enuff menytally, u don't need the concept of god to guide you.
              Read up on Pascal's Theory/Wager on existence of God and then place your bet.
              If God/Supreme Being doesn't exist, you have nothing to lose and neither does the "believer", however if the being does exist, who loses?

Comment

Pascal's Wager:
                :
                "If there is a God, He is infinitely incomprehensible, since, having, neither parts nor limits, He has no affinity to us. We are then incapable of knowing either what He is or if He is ... you must wager. It is not optional. You are embarked. Which will you choose then? Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager then without hesitation that he is."

Comment

Tell me has religion set rules for good behavior. If what we are seeing today is good behavior, bad behavior is better.
                  Regarding the question who created us; my question is if God created us, who cretaed God.

Religion does set rules for good behavior, but the problem is if the follower really follows those rules. All religions in world today are having this same problem. ALMOST all religions emphasize on human being to do good but most followers are not doing what they are asked of by their religion. So religion is not to be blamed, but the followers.

What about a "mixup" of logic and face value? many a times human being is unable to grasp the consequences of not following a command, the result of not following are not OBVIOUS so it is better to take it at face value.

I say that denial of existence of God is a concept to runaway from religion.
                  ------------------
                  May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

i seriously haven't seen ur brain...how can i believe u have it???

anyways here is a small story i once read:

once a king asked a sint to give him a proof that there was a God as he was an atheist so the saint said that okay but u'll have to wait for a few days before i answer u.
                    the saint lived on the other side of the river so after a few days he went to the king.
                    well naturally king asked how did u come so the saint said. "i was on the river bank when suddenly i tree fell and it was cut in sheets and then the sheets joined together and formed a boat and the some sheets made two oars and i sat in the boat and that boat then transported me to the other side of the river and now i am here before u."
                    King was puzzled and he said : " what are you saying how can a tree get cut all by itself and be made into a boat"
                    the saint answered " if even a small boat can't be made all by it self then how can anybody believe that this world came into exsistance all by itself and there is no God?"

Ajit i hope this answers ur query, i mean look around urself was it anything u ever wanted that came into being itself..ofcourse u would have had to make. then how can this large universe containing infinite secrets within itself can be made without anybody constructing it ...and ofcourse u or i can't make it and it requires a divine hand and that hand is of God and as i am i am a muslim so according to my belief Allah made this universe.

Comment

Tell me has religion set rules for good behavior. If what we are seeing today is good behavior, bad behavior is better..........
                      If u r strong enuff menytally, u don't need the concept of god to guide you.
                      Has religion set rules for good behaviour: Yes.

What we are seeing today is not necessarily the implementation of what religion teaches, so you can't judge by individual interpretation or behaviour. You have to analyze the scripture and make your conclusions from there...not what you see around you.

Question: Do you believe in the concept of God?

Comment

Of course there is a God. If there were no God, I think that we would behave more like the other animals.
                        God gave us a mind, and a soul. God is that little voice in your head that tells you something you are doing is wrong, the voice that gives you hope when you feel hopeless, the voice that makes you want to help others.
                        I don't think the world would be very beautiful at all without God in it.
                        God believes in you, why do you doubt him?
                        Brenda

------------------
                        Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!!!

Comment

Well, while its tempting to think that without religion all the world will be at peace. The fact is that without religion people will simply find other things to fight over. There's Nationalism, theres greed, jealosy, ego, and PRIDE.
                          People by nature are violent, although they have good qualities, they are by nature nothing more then smart animals. Take away religion and we will find some other thing to discriminate and hate each other over. I feel sorry for religion though, its pulled this way and that, how many people take gods name in vain, everyone thinking god is on his side. Its isn't religion that has given us a bad name, it is we that have given religion a bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan Ahmed:
                            Its isn't religion that has given us a bad name, it is we that have given religion a bad name.

Precisely.

Comment

I wonder do we really need religion and the concept of God. All these religions entice one with the promises after death. And whether it is true or not can't be proved for one would have to die for it.
                              Is there a God/Allah really or are they just concepts? Don't say it is written in $%#. Has anyone seen him/her.
                              Don't go on arguing against Hinduism. My question is regarding all religions. Has religion done any good to humanity. Just break all your bondages and think how beautiful a place the earth would be without the religions and the religious boundaries.
                              What say Junta???????????

Ajit, look around the earth
                              its already such a beautiful place with/without religions, but tell me if say you were walking in a field and you stumbled on a stone you wouldnt think abt where it came from or how it happened to be there. Now think if you had walked into the field and you stumbled upon a watch, the first thing youd think is what the watch was doing there, howd it get there?
                              a watch is a purposeful thing, why? bcos its wheels and cogs etc are all interelated to make the watch function and tell you the time
                              now compare the watch to the universe around youm everything in orbit, following laws everythings interelated like the watch
                              if parts in the watch are put together in a certain way to make something happen its a purposeful object.
                              So isnt there a purpose to the universe? the world? theres obvious design in the world, if thres design there must be a Designer and the only answer anyone can come up with is the Designer being God

And yes i dont know abt hinduism but Islam has done plenty of good to humanity, if someone takes the negative light off it which its usually placed under then maybe ppl will realise

sorry if my philosophical speach was abit long, i have my exam tomorrow
                              good practice
                              but i hope youve learnt something

------------------
                              Sugar, spice 'n all things nice

Comment

Working...
                              X