dress modestly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dress modestly

This issue is a controversial one and has been disputed time and time again. I would just like to ask everyone what they think about the Burqa and whether it should be imposed upon women? Is dressing modestly not enough? A lot of my female friends who wear the burqa have been upset at the way they are treated by men in public places. Do you really think the burqa prevents any perverse behaviour from anyone? I know people will compare our society to that of a western culture, but I'm not saying compare a burqa wearing woman to that of a woman wearing a mini skirt, I'm simplysaying that isn't to dress modestly enough for a woman? Is Pakistan a moderate state? Is it run by fundamentalists?
    I would like to hear what men and women both think about this issue. Are there any regulations on the dress code for men and how often are these codes upheld?

no a burqa is not necessary....
    it was arab tradition to use burqa and since Islam spread from arabia, ppl took up the tradition....

any modest dress, that does not reveal any part of a woman's body (except her face and hands) and is loose enuff so as to not reveal the shape of her body is allowed....

------------------
    "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
    Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Somewhat agree with Armughal.
      There's a difference between abaya and burqa rite?

Sania Saeed: Define dressing up modestly.
      I know girls who wear tight pants, exposed hair (no hijab), wear t-shirts/full sleeves and to them its dressing up modestly

------------------
      "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
      (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Comment

Pakistan mein khwateen ko burkha zuroor pehna chayay, wehaan ke mard 3 saal ki bachi ko dekh kar excited ho jaatay hein...

[This message has been edited by Paki Prince (edited May 29, 2002).]

Comment

Sister Sania, this is what Allah SWT asked of Believing Women:

[24.31] And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.

In response to this verse, Prophet PBUH's wives used to pull their head-covers down so they can see their path when walking and their face was not visible (while their head is still covered), later in culture this 'covering' took shape of "abaya", and different cultures adopted it differently.

Allah SWT will weigh your understanding of ayat, your deeds.... the choice is yours (O believing women).

Important to note here is that "covering" modestly is not the only commandment, but to "lower your gaze" as well. Even if women "veil", they are not allowed to look into eyes of naa-mehram.

------------------
          May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

[This message has been edited by Changez_like (edited May 29, 2002).]

Comment

I am totally against the Burqa. If women want to wear its up to them, but I do not think it has any place in Islam. Islam tells women to dress modestly. In fact it tells men to do the same thing I believe. Point is, piety is not reflected in what you wear, it whats in your heart. A woman who is immodest in her heart, will reflect that in her appearance, but a woman that is modest and pious deep down, she will be considered so with or without her Burqa. God can certainly see whats in a persons heart, so a Burqa is irrelevent.

Comment

Working...
            X