AsSalaamu Alaykum waRahamatullahi waBarakaatahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AsSalaamu Alaykum waRahamatullahi waBarakaatahu

AsSalaamu Alaykum my dear brothers & sisters!

When a lot of us greet each other we tend to prefer to say Hi or Hello, right?

Infact, I used to be one of those people, only because of my own lack of knowledge. I just felt that a Salaam was such a formality. So I always felt weird when I ran across fellow muslims on campus and they would Salaam me. I just never understood why they acted so formal which to me meant that we weren't being ourselves. But once I found out the meaning behind the words, it made all the difference.

So lets take a look and see what an appropriate greeting is between muslims and why.

What do Hi or Hello mean?
    Hi
    Hello <--------- Two intrinsically meaningless words. They are just as good as saying "Blah!" or "Yech!" when we meet.

Now take a look at these beautiful words:

Asalaamualikum wa Rahmatullahi wabaraakaatahu (Only saying the first part is a good start)
    What it means:
    "May the peace and mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you!"

Subhaan Allah! Now compare this with the current preferred version. Do you know that when we meet a fellow Muslim and we say Salaam we are actually:

Giving them a dua, and getting one in return (if they reply with walaikumasalam) We are exchanging the official greeting of Jannah/Paradise here on Earth! And at the same time we are getting Sawaab or Reward from Allah (SWT). [10 times for each of the three (peace, mercy, and blessings)].

Hadith:"He is nearest to Allah, the Mighty, the Glorious, who takes the initiative in offering Salaam (without waiting for the other to greet him first)" [Bukhari]

"The best deed in Islam is to feed the people, to offer Salaam to every Muslim, whether known to you or not." [Bukhari]

"Offer Salaam before speaking to anyone." [Tirmizi]

"When two Muslims shake hands [and say Salaam] on meeting each other, they are inevitably granted salvation before they separate." [Tirmizi]

Well after this, I have decided that I no longer want to say Hi or Hello to my Muslim siblings, insha Allah I am going to say ASSALAMU ALAYKUM!
    -------------
    Oh Ever Living One, Oh Eternal One, by Your mercy I call on You to set right all my affairs. Do not place me in charge of my soul even for the blinking of an eye (i.e. a moment).

Muni, I have learned so much from your's and Saadia's posts Masha'Allah. Thank you so much for sharing these.

Comment

Thanks Muni, for sharing this story of your today

Reminds me of few experiences of mine. In kindergarten i used to have assembly and one of the pioneers of my school used to talk to the whole school about religion. She died (may allah bless her soul) but we all remembered to say salam.

I still remember saying Assalam o alaikum warahmatullah e wabaraka tuhu ahlan wasahlan marhaba.

Just remembering the meaning always makes me say salam instead of hi to fellows

Comment

Originally posted by Muni:
        [b]AsSalaamu Alaykum my dear brothers & sisters!
        Ibrahim says : Wa Alaikum salaam wa Rahmathullahi wa Barakaathuhu

4:86 When a (courteous) greeting is offered you meet it with a greeting still more courteous (at least) of equal courtesy. Allah takes careful account of all things.

Jazak Allahu Khair Sister

Comment

Working...
        X