Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping your faith strong...

Asalamu Alaikum,

The best way of strengthening Iman, is ofcourse improving it, eg. by learning more about Islam, and practising what we have learned. I was wondering what are some specific things some of you do to keep your Iman strong, especially when you feel you are becoming weaker?

Jazak'Allah Khairun

Walaikum Asslaam Yacoob sahib
    Good question.

I go over the meanings of Surah Qariyah and Surah Asr. They are short but very potent. I also think about the universe; its vastness, its desolation, its beauty and organisation. It helps strengthening my faith a lot.

Comment

Dear brother Yacoob,
      We all go thru periods in our life when we start having doubts in ourselves; what helps me the most is - if I am able to talk to somebody about it; somebody, who I know may have had similar experiences, or is know for his/her wisdom.
      Would you be able to talk to us on this Forum and, believe me - you are not alone and by speaking out and discussing your feelings - you may be helping us all.
      May God always keep you and protect you!
      Wa-Salam,
      Abdulmalick

Comment

Brother Yacoob,
        This is indeed a very important question and I am glad you brought it up on this forum. In my humble opinion, try to follow sunnah etiquette along with proper dua in littlest thing such as entering and leaving home, restroom, market, while driving. These azkaar will keep your thoughts focussed on Allah. Also, take some time out daily to recite a juz of Quran along with meaning. Try to be regular in Salaat and if possible don't miss jamaat. Keep a congenial attitude with your family and friends. This incudes volunteering for help whenever the ocassion arises.
        These are some of the things I try to practice and most importantly Pray to Allah to give you strong Imaan and guide you to the right path. Jazakamullah Khair.

Comment

Yacoub,

Walaikumsalaam,

It is also good to remember that we should expect to be tested by Allah in our faith, like Abraham was tested. Allah tests those whom he loves, so even the hard times can be looked on as a blessing. A person should be resolute in faith especially when we consider what those before us went through in order to establish this deen. So keep your iman strong even in the face of a storm. That is the real victory.

Comment

Asalamu Alaikum,

Jazak'Allah Khairun for replying and giving me some good ideas.

As many of you may have felt, there is a certain sweetness that comes with faith. I don't know how to describe that feeling, but, I know when I first started practicing Islam more consistantly, this state of peace over came me. This feeling made me strong and happy. It kept me motivated to do more and more for the sake of Allah. Things that I once found hard to do, I found easy, and infact looked forward to doing them.

When people questioned me about Islam it was the most wonderful thing to be able to share it with them. If someone opposed my Islamically oriented actions, by the grace of Allah the obstacles seemed to disappear without you having to suffer great deals of pain or hurt.

Well I always thought that these feelings came about because I thought I was doing what Allah wanted. And so long as I did what Allah had asked us as Muslims to do, Allah would help and protect me from doing what was wrong.

Well, this sweetness, or peace lasted for a good length of time, but I feel it weakening.. I find myself not as motivated to do all the things that I used to do for Allah. I find myself doing things that maybe I shouldn't really be doing. I want to my faith to be strong again.. I want to be able to not regret my actions. I want to feel confident on the Day of Judgement that I did all that I could do to please Allah.

I'll request that you don't ask for specifics. It was already quite difficult for me to write what I did, and infact I have tried writing it before but stopped.

The only reason I did was because in Abdul Malick's post, he wrote that maybe others may be feeling the same, and can benefit. I don't know if this will help someone, but perhaps some of you can relate to what I'm talking about here, and have come out of it. Insha'Allah you can tell me and the other brother and sisters who frequent this site how you managed to help yourself return to a high state of Iman.

Jazak'Allah Khairun

[This message has been edited by Yacoob (edited May 13, 1999).]

Comment

Brother Yaqoob,

The universe and everything in it is there in front of you. The Qur'an and the Prophet (SAAW) is there in front of you. At the end of the day, Allah (SWT) has given you free will. Look around you and make your own decision. You are only responsible for yourself.

Comment

:-| this is a rather old post but ..... just refreshing it in case anyone perhaps had a good reply based on their own experiences of strengthening iman.

Comment

Always have Faith & Belief in Allah, regardless of the circumstances.

007.042 But those who believe and work righteousness,- no burden do We place on any soul, but that which it can bear,- they will be Companions of the Garden, therein to dwell (for ever).

021.035 Every soul shall have a taste of death: and We test you by evil and by good by way of trial. to Us must ye return.

020.130 Therefore be patient with what they say, and celebrate (constantly) the praises of thy Lord, before the rising of the sun, and before its setting; yea, celebrate them for part of the hours of the night, and at the sides of the day: that thou mayest have (spiritual) joy.

020.131 Nor strain thine eyes in longing for the things We have given for enjoyment to parties of them, the splendour of the life of this world, through which We test them: but the provision of thy Lord is better and more enduring.

Recite the Qur'aan with Tajweed on a daily basis and take the Prophet PBUH as the role model.

Finally, be careful of the Hypocrites and let them not lead you astray.

I say this because we have one such member who is professing to being a Muslim on one hand, but slaughtering the Islamic Faith and Muslims on the other.

He knows who he is, as his comments on threads speak for themselves.

Just a word of caution.

Salaam.

Comment

One thing I do and recommend is, reading life of Prophet Mohammed PBUH. It really brings tears in my eyes when I read how much he suffered and how he handled worst situations, then I look at myself and find myself negligible. Comparably if he is Sun, I'm a tiny little particle of sand. I look at how much Allah SWT could have given to him from his infinite treasures, but he sought the guidance of his ummah, set example for ummah. He used to be empty stomach for many many times, wrapping cloth with stone on stomach to avoid feeling of hunger, and look at us.... the greedy, the never-ending hunger, trying to eat so many dishes at one time and try to stuff our stomach more than a camel. he travelled on foot, we now travel in aeroplanes, luxury cars, bikes and still we complain about minor sufferings, and he was thankful with what he had. may Allah SWT help me to be thankful in all parts of life and help me follow his messenger AH.

------------------
                    May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Working...
                    X