Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch out for the Arrow!: What’s Wrong With A Lustful Gaze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch out for the Arrow!: What’s Wrong With A Lustful Gaze?

Many of us who are used to watching The Bachelor, SINbad or Temptation Island, or are addicted to Bollywood movies, or enjoy the company of people of the opposite gender, may wonder whats wrong with lustfully staring at the attractive features of the opposite gender? Perhaps one saying of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) sums it all up:

The unrestrained glance is one of the poisoned arrows of Shaytan, on him be God's curse. Whoever forsakes it for the fear of Allah, will receive from Him (Great and Gracious is He) a faith, the sweetness of which he will find within his heart! [al-Haakim]

Therefore, a secret lustful look at a person of opposite gender has been compared by the Prophet to an arrow from Shaytan that:

*it poisons our hearts (what exactly do you gain out if it apart from the momentary thrill of having sinned? Is there anything worse than enjoying what Allah hates?)

*it ruins our intentions (am I doing it for Allah or to check out the crowd?)

*it gives rise to false hopes and desires ("I wish I could...", "Maybe she'll...", "I think he does..." when you know you can't, she won't, and he doesn't!)

*it distorts our perception of 'reality' (love is not 'at first sight' but lust is, a wife is not picked up off streets, real men don't have to flirt to be noticed, and there
    is nothing 'casual' about sex)

*it deprives us from enjoying and concentrating in Prayers (it's very hard to remember Allah while replaying last night's activities in one's head)

*it gives rise to constant feeling of guilt and depression (have you ever actually felt better about yourself after you did it than before?)

*it sometimes leads to sleepless nights (when fantasies seem so 'real'...)

*it renders our heart weak for continuous Shaytanic attacks (through addictions to music, fashion, self-image, explicit sights and sounds, etc)

*it promotes hypocrisy (does the 'shell' match the 'core'?)

*it dumbs our intelligence and weakens our memory (a 'nerve-box' in singular pursuit of visual pleasure vs. the deep reflection of an intelligent mind... pick one)

*it eventually leads to Zina (unlawful intimacy: the darkness that draws one deeper and deeper until one is incapable of escaping even if willing, except he/she who Allah guides)

above all, it diminishes our love for and fear of Allah (you wouldn't be doing it if you thought about how Great and Loving the One you are turning away from, instead if how 'small' or 'innocent' your sin)

Allah commands us: "Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their private parts; that will make for greater purity for them..." [24:30]. In the verse following this one, Allah commands the believing women in the similar manner. http://www.youngmuslims.ca/publications/arrow.asp

------------------
    "Allah extends His Hand at night so that He can forgive the sinner of the day; He extends His Hand in the day so that He can forgive the sinner of the night. He will continue to do so until the sun rises from the West (the Day of Judgment)"

[Related by Imam Muslim]

[This message has been edited by Hinna (edited May 27, 2002).]
    22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Jazakallah khair!

Comment

Jazak Allah Khair Sis.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinna:
        *it dumbs our intelligence and weakens our memory (a 'nerve-box' in singular pursuit of visual pleasure vs. the deep reflection of an intelligent mind... pick one)

This one really shocked me. Who knew you become dumber when you gaze lustfully!!!

------------------
        "Allah extends His Hand at night so that He can forgive the sinner of the day; He extends His Hand in the day so that He can forgive the sinner of the night. He will continue to do so until the sun rises from the West (the Day of Judgment)"

[Related by Imam Muslim]

22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

This one really shocked me. Who knew you become dumber when you gaze lustfully!!!
          Is it really true ? Or is it just a "Philosphical hypothesis" ?

Comment

Maybe a little bit of both. Say if you are constantly gazing lustfully...you are focusing all of your energies on that one act and nothing else...so couldn't you be "dumb" in that respect?

------------------

[Related by Imam Muslim]

Comment

Maybe a little bit of both. Say if you are constantly gazing lustfully...you are focusing all of your energies on that one act and nothing else...so couldn't you be "dumb" in that respect?
              I meant the "losing your grey cells" kind of "dumb" . You are right though.

But why am I the only guy who is paying attention to this thread ???????????

Comment

Thnkx for sharing!

NO wonder I've become so DIM and slow!

I guess its true?!

Comment

Jazak'Allah Khairun sis

------------------
                  'Rabbee zidnee`ilmaa'
                  My Lord! Increase me in knowledge.[20:114]

The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) said:
                  "Whoever sets out on a path to seek knowledge, Allaah will make easy his path to Paradise."
                  [Saheeh Muslim]

Comment

Jazak-Allah
                    It makes people think.

------------------
                    Rooh kee gehraai say niklee howee baat
                    Rooh kee gehraai tak zaroor jaai gee!!

Skills, Knowledge and Hardwork combine to create a Genius!

Chey Hunar, Ilam aou Mehnat milao shee, nou jourh shee yao Genius!

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiaa:
                      Thnkx for sharing!

I guess its true?!
                      I feel the same way saadia..trust moi

------------------

[Related by Imam Muslim]

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiaa:
                        Thnkx for sharing!

I guess its true?!
                        - Hinna
                        I feel the same way saadia..trust moi

Well! i have to admit, i been feeling as if my brain has stopped working or i have lost my intelligence. Now i know the reason, I guess this is what happens when you see too many movies and see alot of actors. Should start doing my Astagfirulla Tasbee now.

Thanks alot for sharing Hinna, another one of your interesting posts

[This message has been edited by nia_khan (edited May 28, 2002).]
                        Life became all Gray! But NOW i have decided to paint it all over again.

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Comment

all guyz have become so dumb they cant even confess.. .. on a more serious note it is something to think about and can be a starting point for a person who wishes to follow the religion more diligently.. since we come across the above mentioned scenario many a times in one day and whats asked of us is not very difficult.. just my opinion.. nobody has to agree..

------------------
                          Don't love everybody--specialize.. ;-)

Comment

I would guess that brain cells being used to remember someone you gazed lustfully at would probably be better utilised remembering some useful piece of knowledge....
                            Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                            Al-Ghazali

Comment

Working...
                            X